S2000 Modifications and Parts Discussions about aftermarket products and parts including reviews, information and opinion.

Install ebay Mugen Rep Front Lip - It's a Good Fit

Old 03-09-2019, 04:02 PM

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Install ebay Mugen Rep Front Lip - It's a Good Fit

Installed the Magicdrift Mugen rep front lip today. Install went smooth and lip is a very good fit.
I can't decide whether or not to paint it yet, so I will leave as is for now.
Install tips:
- secure the front three bolts in the center first, leave them a bit loose.
- then do the 2 x M6 bolts to the right and left of the center bolts using the existing clips in the bumper.
- next, attach the two trailing pieces towards the rear of the car. I had to use my drill to enlarge the holes.
- finally, attach the two ends of the spoiler. I also had to drill holes in the bottom of the fender and enlarge the holes on the lip.
- keep everything loose, then start tightening everything down.
I purchased some stainless steel hardware, nuts, flat washers, lock washers, and bolts, all in M6 metric size. It cost about $10.
Once I got the car up on two jackstands in the front, the install took about two hours by myself, and a lot of fiddling to get a very close fit.
All in all, not bad for under $100. I may try the side skirts next.

The following 3 users liked this post by pachockey:
LagunaPearlAP2 (03-11-2019), MenacerX686 (03-15-2019), S2KRIO (11-12-2019)
Old 03-09-2019, 04:19 PM

Received 161 Likes on 124 Posts

Aside from the price another benefit of the ebay lip is they're made from polyurethane or a similar plastic with margin for flexing whereas the authentic mugen lip is FRP and will easily crack or even break if scraped hard.

Also bronze on suzuka blue is
The following users liked this post:
pachockey (03-09-2019)
Old 11-12-2019, 04:19 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

How is the Magic Drift Mugen lip so far? Any issues? Daily driving? Etc. I've just ordered the same one today and hoping to hear some of your insight on it after ownership.
Thanks
Old 11-12-2019, 04:58 PM

Originally Posted by S2KRIO
How is the Magic Drift Mugen lip so far? Any issues? Daily driving? Etc. I've just ordered the same one today and hoping to hear some of your insight on it after ownership.
Thanks
It's excellent so far. See updated pic with it painted. I sanded it down to remove all of the rough edges, then 2 coats of adhesion promoter, then 2 coats of primer (sanded in between coats), then 3 coats of Suzuka blue paint, then 3 coats of clear - all with spray cans from automotivetouchup. Took a full day to spray all the coats but it turned out very smooth. Cost me $80 for all of the paint and supplies. I've bumped into a curb and it just scuffed the lip with a couple of tiny little hairline fractures you need a magnifying glass to see. The lip is flexible and if you use the adhesion promoter - spray very thin coats, the paint sticks like glue.
S2KRIO (11-12-2019)
Old 11-12-2019, 06:13 PM

Originally Posted by pachockey
It's excellent so far. See updated pic with it painted. I sanded it down to remove all of the rough edges, then 2 coats of adhesion promoter, then 2 coats of primer (sanded in between coats), then 3 coats of Suzuka blue paint, then 3 coats of clear - all with spray cans from automotivetouchup. Took a full day to spray all the coats but it turned out very smooth. Cost me $80 for all of the paint and supplies. I've bumped into a curb and it just scuffed the lip with a couple of tiny little hairline fractures you need a magnifying glass to see. The lip is flexible and if you use the adhesion promoter - spray very thin coats, the paint sticks like glue.
Thanks for the response. Wow, that's awesome! Did your lip come pre-drilled for all the bolt holes? Does it still use all OEM mounting locations? I'm glad you got it painted. Looks really really good. & oh I see, well I'm glad it handled the curb incident well. So speed bumps/driveways arent an issue as long as you approach them at an angle? (I'm on stock height/OEM wheels). Your whole car looks amazing, specially the color. I love those side skirts, are they Magic Drift too?

Here's my car
Old 11-12-2019, 06:42 PM

Your car is going to look really good with the mugen style front lip. Yes the lip came pre-drilled with all of the bolt holes - BUT - all of the holes did not line up exactly. Follow the guidance I offered in my original post. Just attach the three holes under the middle of the front bumper, look at the hole alignment, then systematically enlarge the holes in the lip so that they line up exactly. This will take you a couple of hours, be patient. Once you get the holes all lined up, it fits very well. Yes, take steep driveways at an angle, if you are at stock ride height you won't have to worry too much. Thanks! And yes, the side skirts are Magic Drift too. They also fit very well. Just paint them first. When I installed mine, I installed the first screw at the front of the car, then I used a bucket to support the rear end of the skirt. I marked the spots on the side skirts where a hole should be drilled. I put six screws on each side. This will take care of any sagging. Then I took a marker and marked each spot on the underside of the side sill where the holes in the car body should be drilled. Then installed the screws - done in about an hour - easy job. Just take your time to line it up right before you drill any holes.
S2KRIO (11-12-2019)
Old 11-12-2019, 07:24 PM

Thank you so much. Not many people are rocking the Mugen lip so I thought why not be a little different, plus I love the look. I will be sure to follow your original install instructions. They are very helpful. From what I can understand, did you get any hardware with the lip aswell apart from the hardware you bought separately. Would it be possible for you to take a picture of the lip from underneath? I wanna get a general idea of where all the bolts go. I can't wait to get mine in so I can follow up. I will post a pic after installation/paint. Yes aha, i was just afraid it would stick out and be really low that it wouldn't clear bumps and driveways. I guess just have to be patient and careful like any other car. Are you lowered? The sideskirts, definitely suit the lines of the front lip and it all flows nicely. Thanks for the information, on installing the skirts.
Old 11-13-2019, 09:11 AM

Received 1,315 Likes on 993 Posts

My tip, do all the fitting, drilling, any tweaking first. Make it fit right, then remove and paint.

Do not paint first then try and fit, lest you damage fresh paint just trying to fit it.

Sometimes these aftermarket parts need a little heat gun action and massaging in addition to enlarging holes. You wanna find that out before you paint...
S2KRIO (11-13-2019)
Old 11-13-2019, 10:30 AM

Hey, yeah that's what I plan on doing, trying to make sure it fits before I spend more $ on paint. I recently got an OEM style replica and I tried simply everything to make it work but it wasnt even the proper length. It's a shame. I got my refund and the seller also let me keep the lip aha so that's a bonus! (: