S2000 Modifications and Parts Discussions about aftermarket products and parts including reviews, information and opinion.

J's racing parts review: intake,header,70rr,N1 ecu

Old 04-21-2005, 03:04 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default J's racing parts review: intake,header,70rr,N1 ecu

hi i have finally got my j's racing parts installed..basically using the J's racing CFRP cai intake, J's racing SPL exhaust manifold and the J's racing 70rr Titanium 70mm headerback exhaust, also running J's racing engine torque damper and AJR 70mm shaved throttle body...so far missing is the J's racing throttle body and ecu...right now i am currently using these parts running with the stock ecu..so far so good..i can tell the gains are very efficient..i noticed alot of mid range power and high end power gains..comparing to my last setup spoon filter, spoon style airduct, toda header, and t1r 63mm exhaust with testpipe where i got alot of lowend tq and power but highend was not as noticable against the J's parts...Don't get me wrong on all the parts i am reviewing..i am sure every single part has its efficient gains in power..this is just a review on my thoughts and experience with comparison..

UPDATED: finally got the J's racing big bore throttle body and J's racing N1 ecu installed

Stock ECU vs J's racing N1 ecu:
OK this mod is one of the most definite noticable performance gains and power that i can feel out if it...the vtec engagement point is lowered to about 5600 rpms and pulls really hard comparing to the stock ecu...also revlimiter is removed but remember without it is easier chance of over reving and engine blow..gotta becareful with it...the J's N1 ecu actually is a chip onto your oem ecu..in order to get this done u must ship out your oem ecu to J's racing in japan and they chip it for u and ship it back..i would say takes about 2 weeks or depending on what kind of shipping types u do..it costs about 1600 cdn for the ecu and i don't know if that includes shipping enquiries..i think u would have to discuss that to your dealer...

AJR custom bored 70mm stock throttle body(spoon specs) vs J's racing big bore throttle body:
well i couldn't really tell u if i feel a big difference from these 2 parts...in reality i am sure there is some what better response and due to more airflow from the J's vs the spoon spec custom bored stock tb...basically the spoon spec is just 70mm outer diameter vs J's racing 66mm inner 70mm outer diameter tb..some might say "why not bore the inner port of the stock tb?" well good question...i was told by my dealer the inner port cannot be custom shaved and only the outer can...the install was a little tricky...u must custom port match your intake manifold to the J's tb..i guessing the stock port dimensions on the intake manifold is probabely either 62mm or 64mm..i dunno exact size...but J's racing designed 2 different dimension sizes for their tb's..one is 64mm inner and 66mm inner..both having 70mm outer in diameter...the 64mm does not require custom port matching nether less an easier bolt on install...the ajr custom bored spoon specs throttle body is alot cheaper than the J's tb...i would say 1/3 of J's tb's price and requires a core exchange...i bought it cuz i wanted to complete the J's trend heehee

J's racing cfrp cai intake vs Spoon intake:
As for the J's intake vs spoon drop in filter and airduct..i noticed more torque in low end with the spoon intake but J's has more mid power and high end and a lil better throttle response through out the mid to higher rpms. Also maybe a lil roaring sound and louder in vtec engagement..Pricing is almost double but J's is alot nicer and better quality cuz of its full carbon fiber build and look while spoon is just an drop in filter and the carbon fiber airduct is a addon to the oem intake box..

J's header vs Toda header:
The Header was a huge difference in hp gains and torque through out the rpms..Toda gave me good low end power like how mugen header gives...but in the highend i barely noticed the difference against stock header...Don't get me wrong with Toda header...I really liked it when i had it..i just think it doesn't work well without tuning while with the J's gains more with just using stock ecu..J's header when in vtec mode and wow the car actually pulls harder through out of each 1000 rpms while in vtec..both makes in a 4-2-1 design..i'm guessing cuz of its bigger diameter in piping and so far J's was the first to make the biggest diameter header on the market right now for better airflow..as for looks it has a nice chrome silver b4 installing and when heat added to the header it changes to a nice shiny gold color...it is also a little lighter than toda..J's header 10lbs vs toda header 12 lbs..pricing not much more for J's against Toda but i would say both makes is a good header..

J's 70rr ti headerback vs T1R's Stainless steel 63mm+tespipe:
And last but not least J's 70rr ti headerback vs 63mm t1r + testpipe, don't get me wrong with the t1r i still think its one of the best exhaust for its price...best bang for the buck...very hard to compare a ti exhaust vs a SS in pricing and quality..as for fitment and looks i would say its all up to your own perference...both no fitment issues and both looks good, just the J's 70rr is a full titanium one piece dull greyish piping muffler with its dolphin purple tip has a unique look and maybe something different for a change than the T1R full stainless steel piping with flanges and the muffler with its titanium straight blue tip..but performance wise..i can't really say i can feel a huge difference in power maybe a little more in the top end but not a whole lot...for lightness and weight 70rr=9.5 lbs vs T1R 63mm with testpipe=25 lbs, and as for the sound..J's is definitely louder than the T1R... i haven't really heard it from outside yet but while driving inside with the 70rr it sure hell rings my ear drums..what do u expect from a non resonated 70mm exhaust heehee..with the t1r sound its more like a smoother loudness sound and for the 70rr is just pure loud and in certain stages in the rpms it gets louder and louder..especially from 4000-6000 rpms right b4 engaging vtec the sound changes tones but i tell ya it sounds awesome..but i wouldn't recommend as a daily driver for this exhaust...if your scared of VI's heehee

well i hope this review helped u guys on researching and choosing the parts u want...i would say all parts i tried and experienced with, even my old parts i give them

also i did a sound clip of the 70rr but i didn't check or uploaded to see how it did so i will try and get a sound clip on the 70rr exhaust asap for u guys stay tuned...

here some pics of my engine bay of J's intake, header and 70rr exhaust and my old setup...i finally got some pics of the exhaust on the car...if anyone is interested in J's parts feel free to check out A&J racing(just click the AJR sign on my sig to go to their website)and email them for any questions needed..thank u, have a nice day

J's racing CFRP cai intake vs Spoon intake

J's racing header vs Toda header

J's racing 70rr ti vs T1R 63mm SS with testpipe

J's 70rr looks vs T1R 63mm SS looks

Finally got a sound clip of the 70rr but on track at WOT..i will try and get one done of the idle sound and reving and from 1st gear start to 3rd gear, enjoy

right click and save as
J's 70rr sound clip
Old 04-21-2005, 08:08 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

great write up. i wish someone with the amuse header/exhaust would do a write up like this.
Old 04-21-2005, 08:24 AM

great write up
Old 04-21-2005, 08:30 AM

Thanks for the write up. Just curious though, how did you test each item? Did you swap all your old parts out and put the new ones in? Or say, did you swap out your spoon intake and then put your j's intake on and then go drive around? Then after that, take the j's intake out, put the spoon back in, and then swap the toda header for the j's header and so on and so on so that you get a fair comparison of each part?
Old 04-21-2005, 08:31 AM
Former Moderator

Originally Posted by kush only,Apr 21 2005, 12:08 PM
great write up. i wish someone with the amuse header/exhaust would do a write up like this.
theres a few amuse reviews up on here. i think only three people on this site has the header though.
Old 04-21-2005, 08:33 AM

Nice write up, Thanks. I love the J intake, i am not sure what direction i am going with my car. If i am staying NA, J intake for sure.
Old 04-21-2005, 09:04 AM

Originally Posted by Guedo512,Apr 21 2005, 08:31 AM
theres a few amuse reviews up on here. i think only three people on this site has the header though.
yea, everyone review the exhaust. i havent seen one dyno sheet or write up from someone with the header and exhaust. if u find it, please link it. thanks
Old 04-21-2005, 11:24 AM

Old 04-21-2005, 12:17 PM

Originally Posted by StinkyTofu,Apr 21 2005, 08:30 AM
Thanks for the write up. Just curious though, how did you test each item? Did you swap all your old parts out and put the new ones in? Or say, did you swap out your spoon intake and then put your j's intake on and then go drive around? Then after that, take the j's intake out, put the spoon back in, and then swap the toda header for the j's header and so on and so on so that you get a fair comparison of each part?
well the way i compared it was with my first set up..the spoon intake was my first mod when i bought my03 then t1r exhaust+testpipe then toda header...so i can see and notice the gains from each mod i did...then when i got j's parts i got them installed individually like intake first, then 1 week later the header, and week after the exhaust so i can see if any difference in gains comparing to old setup..instead of just swapping out all the old parts and installing the new parts right away all at once.
Old 04-21-2005, 12:18 PM

Originally Posted by iceple,Apr 21 2005, 12:33 PM
Nice write up, Thanks. I love the J intake, i am not sure what direction i am going with my car. If i am staying NA, J intake for sure.
how does the J's intake compare to a AEM intake in terms of power?

Quick Reply: J's racing parts review: intake,header,70rr,N1 ecu