S2000 Modifications and Parts Discussions about aftermarket products and parts including reviews, information and opinion.

J's racing Ti exhaust rattle

Old 10-09-2009, 06:45 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default J's racing Ti exhaust rattle

So its pretty obvious what this thread is about...the resonator on my j's exhaust crapped out as many others have in the past.

Lets see if we can come up with any solutions or specific information on how to repair it. I've heard of cutting open the resonator and re-welding the baffle.

Does anyone have any pictures or information as to where to cut or what exactly were fixing. I would love to see a picture of what the resonator/repair looks like so that I can show a Ti welder exactly what I want done!

One other thought that came to mind (although I havnt had a chance to find out what the inside of the resonator looks like) is the possibility of using long rivets? This may be a possible solution for us as anyone can drill a hole, and then the rivet will grab the loose piece of metal inside and pull it tight to the outer shell and will expand, sealing off the hole...

If anyone can comment or add any relevant info/pics that would be great!
Old 10-09-2009, 07:37 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

i think a guy named chris at this store did a j's repair:
http://www.teamcprfab.com/Contact.html

i think it's pretty much opening the resonator, installing new packing, then sealing.

~$250?
Old 10-10-2009, 07:17 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

yeah I saw that post but there was no description as to how the repair was done. I'm up in Canada so shipping it out there would in turn make the repair way too expensive.

I want this thread to give others info on possibly the repair procedure so that they can have it fixed locally by their own Titanium welder.

Someone here surely can shed some light on this!
Old 12-30-2010, 08:29 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

for everyone's future reference.

the resonator needs to be opened from both ends. check and repair any core breaks. replace the fiberglass fill that probably burned into nasty chunks. put it all back together making sure that the angles of the piping and resonator are all like the original.

the actual welding isn't hard. the hard part is building a rig or something to accurately pull apart the exhaust and put it back together. if the welder puts it back together crooked, then the exhaust might not fit on the car anymore or sit at the wrong angle.