S2000 Modifications and Parts Discussions about aftermarket products and parts including reviews, information and opinion.

It just doesn’t sound right!

Old 10-16-2017, 08:40 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default It just doesn’t sound right!

Hey guys

just purchased an 03’ and was wondering what I should do if I’m not happy with the sound. The car is definitely loud enough but it just doesn’t make the right noise. Sounds too much like a vacuum cleaner and not like a sports car. I was thinking maybe an intake would make me happy. I know this has been discussed before but I just wanted to make sure..

1. Are the comptech intakes still having fitment issues?

2. Does KandN intake sound good? I know it’s louder but does it sound sporty?

3. Would an exhaust mod make me happier over an intake mod? Maybe just do the UK mod?

thanks for any and all input! Looking for an old school roadster sound..
Old 10-17-2017, 01:34 PM

Received 1,311 Likes on 991 Posts

Old school roadster sound, to my mind that means a factory uncorked exhaust sound. Like when you hear a TR6 or other old British roadster pull away from a stop. Not gunning it, just pulling away with gusto, and you hear engine sounds, not rushing air swoosh sound.

An intake will give you more, yet better sounding swooshing air music. Nice, but perhaps not what you are after. Intake really only makes such sound when you are opening throttle wide.

An aftermarket exhaust will get you that sound, but really more the old school roadster at a racetrack version. Not the street version. If tje sound you seek is what I think, you're looking for the uk mod.

It can get quite loud with a larger uk bypass pipe, which is not what I think you're after. The 38 & 44 mm that are so popular. Most guys doing those sizes are trying to mimic the aftermarket exhaust sound, at a bargain price (which is wise since there really isn't any useful gain from aftermarket exhaust on this car).

Realize the original usa version of uk mod, as done by King Motorsports, used a 1", aka 25mm pipe. It was said to give the sort of sound I suspect you are after. Like what a factory performance exhaust might sound like. Not offensive to anyone, but gives a slight rumble. Way quieter than an aftermarket exhaust. You might also consider 1 1/4", aka 28mm.
Old 10-17-2017, 02:41 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 29 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by tremere613
Hey guys

just purchased an 03’ and was wondering what I should do if I’m not happy with the sound. The car is definitely loud enough but it just doesn’t make the right noise. Sounds too much like a vacuum cleaner and not like a sports car. I was thinking maybe an intake would make me happy. I know this has been discussed before but I just wanted to make sure..

1. Are the comptech intakes still having fitment issues?

2. Does KandN intake sound good? I know it’s louder but does it sound sporty?

3. Would an exhaust mod make me happier over an intake mod? Maybe just do the UK mod?

thanks for any and all input! Looking for an old school roadster sound..
1. Yes, fitment is still mediocre.
2. I think it sounds nice, there's a fair bit more induction noise when you're getting on it, and definitely when you engage vtec. I can get you a good deal on the FIPK as well.
3. UK Mod is still pretty quiet, but for the low cost, it's not a bad mod.