S2KI Honda S2000 Forums

S2KI Honda S2000 Forums (https://www.s2ki.com/forums/)
-   S2000 Modifications and Parts (https://www.s2ki.com/forums/s2000-modifications-parts-193/)
-   -   K&N FIPK - First Impressions (https://www.s2ki.com/forums/s2000-modifications-parts-193/kn-fipk-first-impressions-1140029/)

Spagolli94 11-30-2015 09:57 AM

K&N FIPK - First Impressions

So after several months of research, I finally decided on the K&N FIPK and got it installed today. Previous to the FIPK, I had spent ~6 months driving with the stock airbox and ~6 months with the stock box cover removed. I thought I'd post my initial impressions.

Performance
Although K&N touts some decent gains on their site, I was skeptical. I had read many online reviews saying there are little to no gains to be had, other than "sounding" faster. I have to agree with K&N here. After pulling out of the shop and just cruising in traffic, I noticed the car felt more responsive. Then I got a green light and had a chance to punch it. Wow. It was more than I had hoped for. There was noticeable more torque throughout the rev range. The dead spot around 4k rpms was gone and it just ripped to redline. The rear-end felt a bit squirrely through first gear and when I hit second, I got a nice little chirp from the tires. The car had never done that before. Even just cruising on the highway, the car just felt like it was funning better. It's definitely exceeding my expectations.

At first I was thinking that it was just a placebo effect, due to the increased sound. But I had been used to the stock box without the cover, which sounds even louder.

Sound
I wasn't a fan of the stock engine sound. It just sounded like a Civic engine that could rev really high. I liked the sound once I removed the cover, but it was almost too much. VTEC crossover was too noticeable and the sound was a bit harsh approaching redline. Sure, it was cool, but I'm 41 and it was getting a bit old. I also didn't like the vacuum noise you could hear at idle. I was worried about installing the FIPK due to previous experiences with CAI's on my old Integra and RSX. Both intakes were very harsh and metallic sounded once VTEC kicked in and one of the intakes made an annoying whistle when accelerating and a "normal" pace.

Luckily, I couldn't be happier with the FIPK sound. If you're just cruising, it sounds like stock. No vacuum hum at idle. No annoying whistle. If you get on it a bit, it starts to growl. If you really get into it's noticeably louder than stock, but in a good way. The VTEC cross over is smooth and not nearly as loud or harsh as my previous CAIs or the stock airbox without the cover. You can feel the VTEC crossover and hear it a bit, but you don't announce it to the rest of the world.

Looks
First, I really don't care what my engine looks like. I'm not one to go to car shows and sit there with my hood propped up. That said, the intake looks very nice but it does leave the engine bay a bit empty looking. I was surprise to see how much less space the FIPK takes up compared to the stock unit.

Overall
I only have one regret - that I didn't install a FIPK sooner. For the money, I think it's a tough mod to beat. I made sure to get all the stock parts back so if/when I sell the car a few years down the road, I can sell it in pure stock form.

hirev 11-30-2015 10:04 AM

i have considered same, and i am thankful for your reporting success.

Spagolli94 11-30-2015 10:12 AM

Originally Posted by hirev (Post 23815908)
i have considered same, and i am thankful for your reporting success.

Glad my review helped. If you're on the fence, get off the fence and do it. Like I said, I only had one regret - that I didn't do it sooner. I think I was worried about getting something too loud and obnoxious. But after I had a chance to punch it with the new FIPK, I literally couldn't wipe the grin off my face.

If you're not sure, start by removing the stock airbox cover. If you like the way it sounds, subtract a bit and that's what the K&N will sound like.

RedCelica 11-30-2015 10:54 AM

Moved to modification and parts.

I do like my fipk, but wonder if the stock airbox does provide a bit cooler air.

iamatlas 11-30-2015 04:49 PM

Redcelica the stock air box does provide cooler air. Especially in stop and go traffic where the fipk is prone to heat soak.

Fokker 11-30-2015 05:42 PM

Wrap the tube and outside of the heatshield in DEI Gold. I don't experience noticeable heatsoak living in the desert.

s2000Junky 11-30-2015 05:54 PM

Of course the FIPK performs better then the stock intake with no lid, ANY intake system would. You should have ran with the normal air box with lid and then swapped in the FIPK. Its well known that the lid off the stock intake loses a sizable amount of trq and about 15whp from heat soak. KN makes a good intake, but this is a failed comparison test from the get go.

arsenal 11-30-2015 06:00 PM

Regarding the 15hp loss, but what about when, you know, actual driving with air passing into the box...not sitting on the dyno or the drive through.

kevinS2OOO 11-30-2015 06:48 PM

I agreed on the overall improvement on the responsiveness...however, never a fan of the sound. I had one before I switched to Comptech Icebox. The K&N was so loud it covered my HKS dual...I am very happy with my Icebox. :)

Fokker 11-30-2015 06:51 PM

Originally Posted by arsenal (Post 23816375)
Regarding the 15hp loss, but what about when, you know, actual driving with air passing into the box...not sitting on the dyno or the drive through.

http://www.motoiq.com/MagazineArticl...ng-Faster.aspx