S2000 Modifications and Parts Discussions about aftermarket products and parts including reviews, information and opinion.

K&N FIPK - First Impressions

Old 12-01-2015, 09:33 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Fokker
Originally Posted by Spagolli94' timestamp='1448990778' post='23816785
I am a little worried about the summer though. I live in the city, so it's pretty common to get stuck in traffic. On hot days, my car was getting some really bad heat soak with the stock box. I didn't take the lid off on hot days, but I assume it would've been even worse. I'm anxious to see how the FIPK performs next summer. Not sure if it will be better, worse, or just the same.
Like I said, wrap it in DEI Gold tape (http://www.amazon.com/DEI-010397-Ref.../dp/B0039Z1V1K). I do not experience any noticeable heat-soak in the summer and I live in a desert.

Cool - thanks for the tip! I'll be sure to give it a shot.
Old 12-01-2015, 10:15 AM

Originally Posted by s2000Junky
Originally Posted by arsenal' timestamp='1448938831' post='23816375
Regarding the 15hp loss, but what about when, you know, actual driving with air passing into the box...not sitting on the dyno or the drive through.
Hood open on the dyno with a fan provides much more cool air then real world.

One of best things you can do to compliment the stock intake location, is remove the stock rad plate and get one with an opening that allows air to pass over the filter area from the grill of the car. either doing a custom or off the shelf snorkel to help direct and concentrate that air works well, and then cutting out the mold under the hood to allow for space for that air to travel. The hood sits nearly on top the rad plate there in front of the filter, so removing that area under the hood improves air flow substantially. Ive done all the said above, but retained the factory intake but with a larger custom opening on the lid to allow more cool air into the filter, wile leaving 90% of the top of the box in place to isolate the engine heat from the filter. And yes the intake sound is louder from the larger opening, near but slightly less then the FIPK. My dada logging over various times of the year have shown a good average of 40F drop in AIT. That’s very significant. Modifying the intake to get cool air to it is a large part of it, but not everything, I have also capped off the coolant feed port to the entire intake manifold and added a Hondata thermo isolation gasket.
Pics of how you have it set up?
Old 12-01-2015, 12:44 PM

Received 39 Likes on 34 Posts

My experience with the K&N is that it generally runs cooler than stock when the car is moving, but much hotter than stock in stop-and-go.

I wrapped mine with several layers of reflective insulation and it helps heat soak a bit. However, the majority of the heat soak is from general under-hood temperature and has little to do with the temperature of the plastic tube itself. So unless you are re-directing the source of intake air, wrapping the intake does very little.
Old 12-01-2015, 07:42 PM
Community Organizer

Received 551 Likes on 503 Posts

Originally Posted by 2s000nJR
Originally Posted by s2000Junky' timestamp='1448993097' post='23816827
[quote name='arsenal' timestamp='1448938831' post='23816375']
Regarding the 15hp loss, but what about when, you know, actual driving with air passing into the box...not sitting on the dyno or the drive through.

One of best things you can do to compliment the stock intake location, is remove the stock rad plate and get one with an opening that allows air to pass over the filter area from the grill of the car. either doing a custom or off the shelf snorkel to help direct and concentrate that air works well, and then cutting out the mold under the hood to allow for space for that air to travel. The hood sits nearly on top the rad plate there in front of the filter, so removing that area under the hood improves air flow substantially. Ive done all the said above, but retained the factory intake but with a larger custom opening on the lid to allow more cool air into the filter, wile leaving 90% of the top of the box in place to isolate the engine heat from the filter. And yes the intake sound is louder from the larger opening, near but slightly less then the FIPK. My dada logging over various times of the year have shown a good average of 40F drop in AIT. That’s very significant. Modifying the intake to get cool air to it is a large part of it, but not everything, I have also capped off the coolant feed port to the entire intake manifold and added a Hondata thermo isolation gasket.
[/quote]
I can text you some if you pm me your number. I have a hard time posting pics on this site.
Old 12-02-2015, 05:57 AM

Does mine count too? k&n also but with a twist of oem. K&n power, oem sound, ram air snorkel. No heat soak, no hydrolock, no noise. What more do we want?
Old 12-02-2015, 07:42 AM

Received 196 Likes on 136 Posts

Originally Posted by Spagolli94
I am a little worried about the summer though. I live in the city, so it's pretty common to get stuck in traffic. On hot days, my car was getting some really bad heat soak with the stock box. I didn't take the lid off on hot days, but I assume it would've been even worse. I'm anxious to see how the FIPK performs next summer. Not sure if it will be better, worse, or just the same.
If you're stuck in traffic, you don't need 100% power. Heck, you don't need 50% power.
Old 12-02-2015, 10:06 AM

Originally Posted by Saki GT
If you're stuck in traffic, you don't need 100% power. Heck, you don't need 50% power.
Actually torque is very useful in city driving. Stop light to stop light, having to beat a guy to get to a turning lane, etc.
Old 12-02-2015, 01:43 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by s2000Junky
Originally Posted by 2s000nJR' timestamp='1448997316' post='23816933
[quote name='s2000Junky' timestamp='1448993097' post='23816827']
[quote name='arsenal' timestamp='1448938831' post='23816375']

[/quote]
I can text you some if you pm me your number. I have a hard time posting pics on this site.
[/quote]

Could I check it out too? Sent you a PM
Old 12-02-2015, 01:49 PM
Community Organizer

Received 551 Likes on 503 Posts

Originally Posted by Saki GT
Right! Until you finally get a break in the lane next to you to power around the asshat that’s been holding you up for the last 10min, wile a Dodge Cummins is quickly shooting up your ass because you got in front of him and couldn’t accelerate. So annoying
Old 12-02-2015, 07:38 PM

Received 29 Likes on 26 Posts

After you remove the air guide for the radiator you can get an air scoop similar to the pwjdm to scoop more air up. Keep an eye on the classifieds. ...i will be parting with said scoop