S2000 Modifications and Parts Discussions about aftermarket products and parts including reviews, information and opinion.

Least Invasive Roll Bar

Old 03-23-2016, 05:57 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Least Invasive Roll Bar

All,

I just recently purchased a 2000 s2000. I have only put about 100 miles on it and I can already say it is my favorite car I have ever owned. My car is as of right now untouched as far as modifications. I would really like to put a 4 point roll bar in but I do not want to hack up the interior panels, should I ever want to revert to stock appearance. Are there any options out there that do not require panel modification? If not what could I buy that would require the least panel modification or maybe even just require me to buy additional panels to replace hacked up ones. I have been looking at the spoon sports roll bar, is this a good option? Some additional information that may be helpful is that I plan to recover the soft top because my vinyl window is already cracked. I may also get a hard top down the road. Please help this newbie.

Thank You
The following users liked this post:
RogueMotorsports (06-22-2018)
Old 03-23-2016, 06:14 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Why do you need a roll bar? Planning to track car? You really don't need or want a roll bar for street, the OEM rollover protection is great on the s2000.
If you do go roll bar go Hard Dog style, you will need to either trim interior or leave it out and fender well will need trimming.
Old 03-23-2016, 01:02 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by devildust
Why do you need a roll bar? Planning to track car? You really don't need or want a roll bar for street, the OEM rollover protection is great on the s2000.
If you do go roll bar go Hard Dog style, you will need to either trim interior or leave it out and fender well will need trimming.
The roll bar is a little about appearance and more about safety. The reason I got the car is because I am giving up motorcycles. I was in a really bad accident that sidelined me for six months with broken femurs and probably should have killed me. I really just don't want to take any chances like that again, but want to keep that open air feel. I understand the OEM may be enough but my head and spine can't take another hit so I would like to add more distance between me and any potential hazards. How much trimming is done on the fenders, could you include a pic?
Old 03-23-2016, 01:26 PM

Received 348 Likes on 324 Posts

Google it there are loads
Old 03-23-2016, 06:09 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Hard dog dual diagonal sounds like what your looking for.
Old 03-23-2016, 07:58 PM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

If safety is your real concern, driving with a roll bar and without a helmet is more risky than what you have now (OEM roll hoops).
Old 03-24-2016, 04:58 AM

Received 411 Likes on 237 Posts

Originally Posted by 99SH
If safety is your real concern, driving with a roll bar and without a helmet is more risky than what you have now (OEM roll hoops).
I dont see how a roll bar is less safe than the OEM roll hoops. A roll cage on the other hand, is a different story.
Old 03-24-2016, 06:31 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm looking for the same thing, a minimally invasive roll bar.

I don't like the install of the hard dog, in that you need to cut all sorts of access panels to mount it.

The Cusco is better, it fits around the factory roll hoops, but you looks an inch or two of seat travel, and looks like it might cause the soft top to bunch up.

I don't know, I looked at a lot of them and haven't found one I liked.

I'm thinking about fabricating my own that bolts to the stock roll hoop locations and bolts to the rear shock towers so would also be a rear chassis stiffener like the CR, and would have custom plastic hoop covers made.

Sadly just don't have the time to do this at the moment
Old 03-24-2016, 08:10 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Its one or the other, Cusco is not functional and not scca/nasa approved. Hard hog or RSG or Ballade will give rollover protection.
You cant not hack something up yet get great protection.
Old 03-24-2016, 08:49 AM

Received 352 Likes on 209 Posts

Its one or the other, Cusco is not functional and not scca/nasa approved. Hard hog or RSG or Ballade will give rollover protection.
You cant not hack something up yet get great protection.

Cusco is not functional
I disagree. I've personally seen it work spectacularly well. Moreover, you can search high and low on this and other forums and on the Internet and you will not find one instance where anyone has experienced or witnessed it's failure.

Were I to again install a roll bar in my S2000, it would certainly be a Cusco (Safety 21).

That part of your statement that It is not approved by a USA sanctioning body is true.

Quick Reply: Least Invasive Roll Bar