S2000 Modifications and Parts Discussions about aftermarket products and parts including reviews, information and opinion.

Low beam headlight LED's

Old 10-15-2018, 06:55 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yes am coming round to thinking there is something wrong with the wiring! But the mechanic is normally good so surprised he didn't find anything last time.
But as its gone again will get him to have a closer look. Currently if I can identify a suitable Morimoto unit then will probably go for this (have emailed theretrofit source).

From reading round you normally need a LED projector to go with a LED. But haven't located a "plug and play" LED for the API so far.
Old 10-15-2018, 09:35 AM

Received 613 Likes on 420 Posts

Originally Posted by treimche
As someone who has installed and is currently using LED bulbs in the S2000 projectors, I can say that the light output is just as good, if not better, than the stock HID bulbs. I think its funny how so many people think the OEM HIDs in the S2000 are the best of anything that's ever been out there. Remember their design is 19 years old. The reality of it is most have never actually tried anything different so they have no real world results to go off of. I do. The key here is using a HIGH QUALITY LED bulb, not some $20 eBay cheapie that most people will try and find out that they're horrible.
Lol.
Old 10-15-2018, 12:15 PM
Sponsor

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts

There are no LEDs for D2s HID housing replacements, because no LED manufacturer makes such a product.
You could rig up a LED headlight to bypass the factory ballast, then rig it to be mounted inside the projector, but that wouldn't not be advisable nor guaranteed to produce a good result, and note the key verb I used, "rig".
Also on the contrary, it's not necessarily true that a good result isn't possible. Why it hasn't been done is that it isn't worth the effort involved.

AP1 and AP2 Clear Headlight Diffusers!!! - Clear out your S2000 headlights!
LED Conversions for all S2000 lights
Keyhole Covers - Get the Shaved look
Oil Drain Valve - Easiest Oil Change ever!
_________
For LEDs for your other cars, head to our new website: SupernovaLEDs.com. Same great quality, easy-to-use website. Pick your car, we'll show you what fits.
Old 10-15-2018, 04:53 PM

Received 24 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by JS2k.com
There are no LEDs for D2s HID housing replacements, because no LED manufacturer makes such a product.
You could rig up a LED headlight to bypass the factory ballast, then rig it to be mounted inside the projector, but that wouldn't not be advisable nor guaranteed to produce a good result, and note the key verb I used, "rig".
Are you saying that there is no such thing as an LED bulb that will go in place of a D2S HID bulb? Or are you talking about replacing the whole HID housing?
Old 10-16-2018, 08:27 AM
Sponsor

Originally Posted by treimche
Are you saying that there is no such thing as an LED bulb that will go in place of a D2S HID bulb? Or are you talking about replacing the whole HID housing?
The former.

_________
For LEDs for your other cars, head to our new website: SupernovaLEDs.com. Same great quality, easy-to-use website. Pick your car, we'll show you what fits.
Old 10-16-2018, 02:41 PM

Received 1,131 Likes on 994 Posts

Maybe I misunderstand.

Non-existent D2S LED conversion bulbs. Non-existent D2S LED conversion bulbs.
Several other D2S bulbs that don't exist show on the same site.

-- Chuck
Old 10-16-2018, 06:44 PM
Sponsor

Originally Posted by Chuck S
Maybe I misunderstand.

Non-existent D2S LED conversion bulbs. Several other D2S bulbs that don't exist show on the same site.

-- Chuck
Interesting. That's news to me, lol. I guess it's time to manufacture some and do some testing.

_________
Old 10-17-2018, 06:39 PM

This definitely isn't a new thing either. I've had these in my S2000 since this spring: https://www.ddmtuning.com/Products/S...2-D3-D4-LED-PR. They're amazing. Since the D2S bulbs have an awkward mounting flange, a bulb adapter is highly recommended (probably required for all aftermarket D2x bulbs) in order to get the bulb to sit in the housing properly. Easy stuff. I also made plug and play harnesses after ditching the stock HIDs and ballasts. I guess this is all just "rigging" stuff to work though??
Old 10-18-2018, 12:52 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

a bulb adaptor is highly recommended"
treimche : did you make this your self or purchase?
Since they are not a fit I guess they are suitable for AP1 and AP2 as they won't fit either as they come!
And I assume as you ditched the ballast you have used them as a low beam replacement since the highbeam

does not use the ballast. So they would be suitable for my AP1 low beam if can get a bulb adaptor
Old 10-18-2018, 06:08 PM

Originally Posted by JPB77
a bulb adaptor is highly recommended"
treimche : did you make this your self or purchase?
Since they are not a fit I guess they are suitable for AP1 and AP2 as they won't fit either as they come!
And I assume as you ditched the ballast you have used them as a low beam replacement since the highbeam

does not use the ballast. So they would be suitable for my AP1 low beam if can get a bulb adaptor
I did both low beams and hi beams. The hi beam LEDs are insanely bright. I did remove the OEM HID ballast, and sealed the holes in the headlights with some grommets. This should work just fine in an AP1 as well.

Here are the LED bulb holders that I am using:
Amazon Amazon
"H1 holder Accord" but they aren't perfect. There are others that look more similar to the base of the OEM D2S bulb that should probably be used. Something like this: https://www.ddmtuning.com/Products/LEDBulbHolder-Honda-Odyssey or maybe this:
Amazon Amazon
The following users liked this post:
JPB77 (10-19-2018)

Quick Reply: Low beam headlight LED's