S2KI Honda S2000 Forums

S2KI Honda S2000 Forums (https://www.s2ki.com/forums/)
-   S2000 Modifications and Parts (https://www.s2ki.com/forums/s2000-modifications-parts-193/)
-   -   Low Bucket Seat and Rails for an AP1 (https://www.s2ki.com/forums/s2000-modifications-parts-193/low-bucket-seat-rails-ap1-1191927/)

IndyS200090 02-19-2019 05:46 AM

Low Bucket Seat and Rails for an AP1

I am currently struggling to pass the, "Broomstick Test," with a local HPDE organization. My options so far are install a very high roll bar (May not clear the top, I have a very long torso), get a lower seat, or some combination of the two. I'm currently leaning towards a lower seat as it's much less invasive and I can revert back to the OE seat on the street, where the car is driven 95% of the time.

To see how low this bucket seat needs to be, I took the OE seat out and sat directly on the floor. By doing that, and sitting bolt upright, I clear the stick by about 1 - 1.5 inches. So I'm looking for a bucket seat and rail combo that sits me no higher than 1.5 inches off the floor of the car.

I'm aware that there are many threads discussing inches lowered from stock, but I don't think that's a terribly accurate measurement . So much of that depends on outside factors like how much the seat foam is compressed, how well you fit in the OE bolsters, recline of the OE seat vs aftermarket bucket, etc. That is why I decided to post a new thread attacking it from the other direction.

Any help is appreciated. Of course, cost is a concern here. I'm not looking to buy a 1k + carbon fiber seat. I don't mind additional weight if it saves me several hundred dollars.

-Mike

Car Analogy 02-19-2019 02:49 PM

You know to pass broomstick you're supposed to have 2 inches of clearance, WITH your helmet on.

So I don't see how you could ever pass, even with no seat pan installed.

I feel your pain. I did the same thing, and my head still touches broomstick sitting on floor. So I'd need another several inches more than just on floor.

Your only ootions seem to be a rollbar, OR, what I'd do.

A hardtoo, plus a seat lowering kit. Later, you can sell the hardtop for whatever you pay for it, like when you stop doing track days or when you sell car.

This way no mods to the car. No reducing cars value.

BrewDay09 03-01-2019 08:43 AM

Originally Posted by Car Analogy (Post 24568350)
Your only options seem to be a rollbar, OR, what I'd do.

A hardtop, plus a seat lowering kit.

Is a hardtop (OEM or other) considered a rollover protection device? This thread is a little dated and has conflicting information:

https://www.s2ki.com/forums/s2000-ta...l-over-728063/

What is the current position from most tracks on the stock vs. hardtop vs. rollbar for HDPE? My local track allows the stock roll hoops but I have plans for some road trips.

blueosprey90 03-01-2019 11:18 AM

A hardtop is not generally considered rollover protection.

Some, but not all, HPDE organizations and some, but not all, tracks will allow the stock S2000 as the front windshield is considered sufficiently strong to protect you in a rollover event. I've always run that way, just with the top up, not down, to avoid any hassles. But I don't think anybody will allow you to race that way. If you were doing time trials, you probably definitely want a roll bar since you are probably wanting to drive on the edge.

The 2" clearance is perhaps a SCCA or NASA racing rule. The HPDE organizations with which I have run only require that the top of the helmet to be below the broomstick.

xxyion 03-01-2019 02:00 PM

I have this problem too and since I did want to take the car to the track I was afraid I would require a roll cage. I do have an OEM hardtop but if some events allow me to run with just that or even top down then I might be ok. I dont plan on doing any sort of competitive racing, time trial or whatever. More just for fun and seeing how far I can take the car.

The curse of being over 6 feet tall lol