S2000 Modifications and Parts Discussions about aftermarket products and parts including reviews, information and opinion.

Marrad ST3 install

Old 07-17-2016, 03:12 PM
Jtt

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Marrad ST3 install

Hi folks,

I own an MY2002 AP1 and since I started to track the car, I’ve found the stock seats lacking.

Being 6ft, 215lbs, I realized that my seat options are fairly limited. My first answer was a Recaro Pole Position on a PCI (Ballade) sliding seat mount.
I used these links to help with my install:
Recaro Pole Position (Jersey Red) & Ballade Sports seat rails
Recaro Pole Position and BuddyClub Super Low Rails on 2006 AP2

The seat fit great, and held me well during a track days. But being 6ft, the harness holes sat below my shoulder blades meaning, I could never run a harness with this seat.

I came across Marrad, a seat manufacturer who has been working with Miata and Corvette owners for years. He was creating a new seat, which takes the dimensions of the Recaro Pole Position ABE but enlarges the harness holes for taller drivers.

I contacted Mark over at Marrad to see if I can try this seat in my AP1. Because his seat’s external dimensions match the Recaro Pole Position, his seat should be able to fit in an s2000, give me a little more hip room, (due to the enlarged seat belt holes) and have usable harness holes!

Mark was great to work with and because needed an s2000 to test fit the seat, he sent me a PCI fixed mount to make an install comparisons between the sliding and fixed seat brackets.

Here’s a Marrad’s ST3 and a Polo Position side by side:

I first installed the seat on to the fixed PCI mount and sat the seat as low as possible in the rear and the front to be slightly higher in front.

I used a seat belt extender and bolted the seat belt extender directly to the seat belt mount. I didn’t have to place the spacers between the mount and seat to mount the fixed mount to the seat (but used the spacers to account for bolt length).
Worth noting, there is enough space between the seat belt mounting hole and the seat bracket to install the seat belt receiver there.

Seat fits perfectly in the driver’s side, clearing the glove box and barely touching the door.

Next up was the slider mount.

On the bottom plate mount, you have 3 possible positions for the sliders. I was able to lower the seat as between the sliders by positioning the slider closest to transmission in in the middle position, and door side slider to the furthest out.

This way, I was allowed to mount the seat just as low as the fixed mount.

Note that with the slider, there isn’t enough space between the belt receiver bracket and the seat bracket to mount the seat belt receiver between the two.

Here are a few shots of the ST3 seat mounted in the car. Glove box and door clears! I’ve spent about a couple hundred miles in the seat so far, and so far so good. The seat holds me comfortably in place, and the increased hip room is great. I have a track day in the next month and I’ll report back.
To sum it up, I'm happy with the ST3, and suggest it to anyone looking for a larger s2000 compatible seat with "usable" harness holes. The seat is finished in simulated leather and suede, as is the Recaro in "Ambia" leather.

The following users liked this post:
mokinbird87 (02-26-2020)
Old 07-17-2016, 04:40 PM

Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts

I thought that the point of this seat was so the belt rides on the outside of the seat?
Old 07-17-2016, 04:58 PM

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by boyguan
I thought that the point of this seat was so the belt rides on the outside of the seat?
The complete opposite. When the belt rides outside of the seat it doesn't allow for it to hug your hips as closely in the event of a crash.
Old 07-17-2016, 06:50 PM

Received 177 Likes on 125 Posts

Good review.. Any comments on the comfort of the seat compared to your old Recaro PP?
Old 07-18-2016, 04:37 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm just popping in so I can remember the name of these seats. Car looks great and it actually took me a few moments to realize your passenger seat was still oem! These look awesome
Old 07-18-2016, 06:23 AM
Jtt

Originally Posted by SlowTeg
Good review.. Any comments on the comfort of the seat compared to your old Recaro PP?
Thanks!
So far the confort is comprable, there seems to be a lil more padding in the thigh and back of the head areas on the ST3, but i think i havent broken it in yet. The recaro has been great on runs to buttonwillow from SF, and i have i plan to do next month in the st3.
Old 07-18-2016, 06:25 AM
Jtt

Originally Posted by Micalbertl
I'm just popping in so I can remember the name of these seats. Car looks great and it actually took me a few moments to realize your passenger seat was still oem! These look awesome
Haha! Yeah, I think a pair of these would compliment the car pretty well, but learning with my previous car, the gf isnt the biggest fan of fixed backs.
Old 07-18-2016, 08:55 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I can sell the PCI brackets, with or without sliders, in combination with a seat. Email me what you're looking for and I will provide a quote.

Mark
Old 07-18-2016, 09:46 AM

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts

damn this look so good. Might have to put my Recaro's up for sale too
Old 07-18-2016, 10:17 AM
Jtt

Originally Posted by marrad
I can sell the PCI brackets, with or without sliders, in combination with a seat. Email me what you're looking for and I will provide a quote.

Mark
Thanks Mark. Some of my buddies have expressed interest in leather or different upholstery colors (red). Are those possible options?
Also, how does the lumbar options work?

Quick Reply: Marrad ST3 install