S2000 Modifications and Parts Discussions about aftermarket products and parts including reviews, information and opinion.

Marrad ST3 review

Old 05-11-2017, 06:59 PM

Received 28 Likes on 27 Posts
Default Marrad ST3 review

Hey folks, thought I'd give some feedback on my experience with the Marrad ST3 / PCI mount kit I purchased. First off, why did I buy? I came from the miata world and the seat Marrad makes for the miata sits low, is slider adjustable, and fits slightly.... ahem...more well rounded / larger folks such as myself (6'1" , 205lbs). My "toy" cars are those that I like to maintain street / track compromise and in my miata it did that well. I don't daily it but do like a top down trip around town on the weekends so when searching for an S2k seat I found this thread: https://www.s2ki.com/forums/s2000-mo...stall-1157208/

To set expectations my post will not be near as good as that one, so here goes. After ordering last fall I got the seat quickly and Mark was fantastic to deal with. There was a small hiccup as the slider bar wasn't right, Mark offered to send me a new one but gave me instructions to bend it myself and I figured if I'm capable of doing suspensions, oil coolers, brakes, etc... I can bend a bar. I did and it was fine. I ordered the seat with two "extra" options, diamond stitching and lumbar support (to help my back support my belly). Below is a pic of the seat upon arrival:

It is very plush looking for street / track seat, much nicer than the one I had in the Miata. That pic was last fall so I will fast forward to last night. Put the seat in the car without bolting it down and took pictures comparing ride height vs the stock seat. Sorry, the before / after pictures were taken from my phone resting on the arm of a kids seat in my mini van, I tried to do my best to make the comparisons consistent but it's not perfect. Before :

After, ST3 (without cushions, my nose looks huge)

As can be seen, a nice lowering of my upper body. I also moved the seat forward a bit from stock due to the extra leg room. Overall, I'm very happy with the result. After some driving around town it holds me in very nicely. With the bottom cushions it feels similar to stock and without cushions it's still comfy and a ton more leg room and lower seating position. Pro's / Con's below:

Pro's:
- Very nice look & feel
- Comfy removable cushions for weekends. Remove seat bottom for track days.
- Can do a harness
- Much lower than stock with seat cushions removed
- Options such as lumbar support, stitching, etc..
- Works with center console (it does rub a bit but not bad)

Cons:
- Installation was tricky. It's not brain surgery but not to be rushed to fit right. My install did not match the suggestions of the one linked above but it worked out in the end.
- Not FIA certified.
- Not cheap

That's all I have. I'm headed to Road America tomorrow to test out both the seats and car so can report back on my experience if desired. Happy S2K'ing...

Last edited by lookstoomuch; 05-11-2017 at 07:07 PM.
Old 05-16-2017, 01:48 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks for a solid review. I've been interested in these since the first post - I also would want the diamond stitch. You're pretty local so I may have to hit you up for a closer look.
Good luck at RA, it's a blast!
Old 06-01-2017, 09:11 PM
Jtt

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Nice review! That diamond stick looks great. Kinda have some regret not picking that one up vs the flat panels.