S2000 Modifications and Parts Discussions about aftermarket products and parts including reviews, information and opinion.

Mr. Grieb's Ballade Mounts & Differential Collar Review

Old 04-03-2018, 10:53 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Thumbs up Mr. Grieb's Ballade Mounts & Differential Collar Review

While performing an oil change on my car last week I noticed one of my motor mounts looked funny. Upon further inspection it appears that both mounts were completely torn. I ordered some Ballade engine mounts from their eBay store for $300. Ballade is nice enough to include their transmission mounts with the kit (& a lifetime warranty!). While I was looking around their eBay store I somehow sold myself on a set of their differential collars too ($65).

SEE POST #7

Products I'm reviewing:
https://www.balladesports.com/produc...gine-mount-kit
https://www.balladesports.com/produc...ential-collars

This morning I had enough time to replace both engine mounts, both transmission mounts and almost all of the differential collars. The two rear differential mounts require you to drop the rear sway bar to put on the front collar for the rear mount (if that makes sense). I didn't feel like making it more of a project than it already was so I decided to just put the two easy collars on the rear of the rear mounts and call it a day. If I ever find myself dropping the rear sway I'll be sure to install the last two collars.

Upon installation I noted that the stock transmission mounts are moderately flexible while trying to bend them with your hands. However, Ballade's transmission mounts are slightly stiffer as I could barely bend them while using my hands. This could either be a result of about ~13 years of use on the stock mounts has worn them out, or Ballade is using a stiffer rubber. As far as the engine mounts go, I can't really compare them as both my engine mounts came out in 2 pieces...RIP. My diff mounts are all alive 'n well but figured the good reviews on differential collars might be worth the $65 they cost (eBay).

After everything was installed and torqued to spec I started the car and prayed that it wouldn't rattle my interior like my old Innovative 60a mounts did on my RSX-S years ago. They didn't. Even on a cold start they barely shook the interior. I'm sure once they're broken in they'll be identical to stock. Another thing I noticed right off the bat was that the shifter felt much smoother. I used to have a notchy feeling going into 2nd while driving but that's almost non-existent now. Upon acceleration the delivery of power seems much smoother and the whole car feels tighter. Almost same amount of vibration as stock. Bottom line, I'm happy that my car doesn't shake, my car is happy that the motor is properly attached to the rest of the chassis and my wallet is happy too.

10/10 would recommend. Well done Ballade.

Last edited by Mr. Grieb; 05-14-2018 at 06:27 PM.
The following users liked this post:
LaosguyAP1 (04-04-2018)
Old 04-03-2018, 12:25 PM

Received 418 Likes on 318 Posts

I also just got my Ballade mounts in on my car, replaced OEM mounts with 150k miles (that came out in one piece though). I didn't notice any additional vibration, shifter feels a TINY bit better.
Old 04-03-2018, 06:59 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I also have the Ballade mounts since my OEM was leaking at 84k miles. It definitely vibrates a lot more along the front dash area on cold starts, but not too bad. It feels like OEM in the afternoon when the car is warmed up.
They look pretty solid and they're not gel filled, so they should last a really long time.
Old 04-03-2018, 07:37 PM

Received 1,315 Likes on 993 Posts

Its the collars that are making the shifter feel better.

They limit diff movement, and since shifter on this car is mounted to trans, everything is more precise.

Yet they still allow the fluid filled diff mounts to damp vibes, so car doesn't get a harsh, cheap feeling. Others besides Ballade sell them. Its a brilliant design.
Old 04-04-2018, 08:34 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

thanks for the review, I have the same parts, I'm installing them this friday.
Old 04-08-2018, 08:56 PM
Sponsor

Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts

for ballade mounts. We sell those like crazy
Old 05-14-2018, 06:26 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

UPDATE:after using these mounts for less than 500 miles and 1 autoX event, the top hat removed itself from the main part of the mount. Very unhappy when I found this. Ballade is notorious for poor customer service and didn't let me down. Ended up replacing the mount with a warrantied one once it magically showed up at my door after a lack of communication on their end of when I would be receiving the product or if it even was shipped yet. But I can't really say I support this product anymore. I'd like to swap them out for another brand of OE style mounts but i've already paid for these so we'll see how it goes. If I have another one fail on me, you bet I'll be asking for my money back. Will I actually get it back? I doubt it..
Old 05-14-2018, 07:06 PM
Sponsor

Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts

This a first I hear of them ripping. Was it installed properly? I sell these to all of my track guys and yet to have any issues, and these guys track A LOT. Like you mentioned, they offer a lifetime warranty