S2000 Modifications and Parts Discussions about aftermarket products and parts including reviews, information and opinion.

Mugen Hardtop -- Painting / Wrapping?

Old 09-14-2018, 08:58 PM
Community Organizer

Received 76 Likes on 60 Posts

Of the two, I would wrap; although, I'd say leave it as is. If someone was looking for a hardtop to steal, they would probably do so regardless. In addition, with the proliferation of aftermarket Mugen replica tops, people probably won't even know it's authentic and could think it's a replica.
Old 09-20-2018, 06:42 AM

Received 68 Likes on 47 Posts

Paint it. The CF look on an otherwise clean looking street car is terrible. It's no longer the 90's....CF panels were acceptable in the import tuning community back then; no w they look unfinished. Only place unfinished panels on a driven car look right is on a race car. Yes, my opinion....I have a butthole too and it smells like roses.

There's absolutely nothing wrong with painting Mugen CF. People in the know are going to see and know what you have on the car because they just fit better than the knock offs out there. You bought these parts for your car for your enjoyment (unless you really did buy them to 'ball out' for people you may otherwise don't know....but if that's the case, definitely let them tell you how they like to see your parts on your car).

Both my Mugen cars have painted hardtops and hoods. In fact, one hardtop has been painted multiple times, multiple colors....with areas that used to be exposed now painted and other areas painted now exposed. The Mugen hood I have on my other car I recently found out has been painted 6 times with three different colors (currently getting stripped to get painted to match color of my car, and expose some CF where it was already painted).

My only regret of painting the CF was that the parts I have I bought long ago didn't have clear coat on them. They didn't just have a 'dry-cf' look, they were dry-cf and weren't finished with a clear coat from factory. After paint and repaint, the bodyshop I used did clear coat the exposed parts. Those parts no longer have the matte finish like they did when I bought them.

Painted Mugen hood and hardtop

This one's hood is getting painted right now
Old 09-20-2018, 06:52 AM
Site Moderator

Received 2,594 Likes on 1,907 Posts

Originally Posted by Luder94
Paint it. The CF look on an otherwise clean looking street car is terrible. It's no longer the 90's....CF panels were acceptable in the import tuning community back then; no w they look unfinished. Only place unfinished panels on a driven car look right is on a race car. Yes, my opinion....I have a butthole too and it smells like roses.

There's absolutely nothing wrong with painting Mugen CF. People in the know are going to see and know what you have on the car because they just fit better than the knock offs out there. You bought these parts for your car for your enjoyment (unless you really did buy them to 'ball out' for people you may otherwise don't know....but if that's the case, definitely let them tell you how they like to see your parts on your car).

Both my Mugen cars have painted hardtops and hoods. In fact, one hardtop has been painted multiple times, multiple colors....with areas that used to be exposed now painted and other areas painted now exposed. The Mugen hood I have on my other car I recently found out has been painted 6 times with three different colors (currently getting stripped to get painted to match color of my car, and expose some CF where it was already painted).

My only regret of painting the CF was that the parts I have I bought long ago didn't have clear coat on them. They didn't just have a 'dry-cf' look, they were dry-cf and weren't finished with a clear coat from factory. After paint and repaint, the bodyshop I used did clear coat the exposed parts. Those parts no longer have the matte finish like they did when I bought them.

Painted Mugen hood and hardtop

This one's hood is getting painted right now
Agree.

BTW, when you're tired of those MF10's gimme a shout
Old 09-25-2018, 08:48 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Luder94

Thanks for the insight. Internet bragging rights were a non existent consideration when I purchased the top.

I'm still doing research on wrapping, but I'm leaning towards paint.