S2000 Modifications and Parts Discussions about aftermarket products and parts including reviews, information and opinion.

new engine rebuilt

Old 10-23-2018, 03:32 PM

Received 256 Likes on 219 Posts

Originally Posted by Car Analogy
I maintain that just blindly replacing mains with aftermarket bearings is not a good idea.
I agree.

Old 10-23-2018, 08:22 PM

Received 51 Likes on 47 Posts

I wouldn’t recommend kings or acl bearings unless it’s a fully blueprinted, crank ground, line honed block. At that point you are building the motor to fit those bearings.

kings and acl are one size fits all bearings and have no place in a stock motor. Honda colour coded bearings all the way as they are spec’d for the journal and bore size combo. Besides, there are high mileage s2ks everywhere with perfectly fine oil pressure and run just fine.

curious to know how the first 2 motors tore themselves apart. I suspect a form of oil starvation or contamination?

I repeat, do not use an aftermarket bearing as a patch on a stock block. Ever. I took apart a motor with 2500 miles stock block and builder put ACL std bearings for mains and rods. Bearings were scored so bad. It was disgusting to see as someone literally paid to get that done.

Last edited by clubhopper; 10-23-2018 at 08:28 PM.
Old 10-23-2018, 11:49 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I’m not a mechanic so I can’t tell you what cause the problem.
Like I said before, the oil level was fine, maintence in time, stock motor, nothing unusual.
the new motor(third motor) is here and I want to find a solution for the bearing problem before it happen again, i can’t take a risk again.
Old 10-24-2018, 10:04 AM

Received 51 Likes on 47 Posts

Originally Posted by adam_h22
I’m not a mechanic so I can’t tell you what cause the problem.
Like I said before, the oil level was fine, maintence in time, stock motor, nothing unusual.
the new motor(third motor) is here and I want to find a solution for the bearing problem before it happen again, i can’t take a risk again.
i think you need to do a tear down/full inspection on your new motor to address out of spec or potentially worn items if any. That’s probably best way to go. Your new motor could have potential ticking time bomb if it was oil starved at some point
Old 10-26-2018, 09:33 AM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

That is odd that two motors destroyed themselves. 67K miles is not all that high for a motor to self destruct... If it were me I would just tear apart the 50K motor you just got and do a full rebuild, at the very least new bearings and rings. Granted you have the funds for that. That way you will never have to worry again, or for at least 200K miles. If you just go the route of just replacing bearings (which I do not totally recommend on a motor with that kind of mileage) spend the extra money and buy a new oil pump, do not re-use used parts if it is already off the motor. Good luck.

I would still be curious as to know why you other 2 motors failed... Do you have any pictures of the non spun bearings so I can take a look at the wear? You can tell a lot on how the engine was running by looking at used bearings.