S2000 Modifications and Parts Discussions about aftermarket products and parts including reviews, information and opinion.

NEW Rotora rear Brake kit

Old 11-27-2007, 12:40 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by SpeedxRacer,Nov 27 2007, 01:22 AM
Thats alot of money for just 2 brackets and brake rotors.. because that is all your getting different from the OEM setup.
Old 11-27-2007, 12:42 AM

Originally Posted by mikegarrison,Nov 27 2007, 01:03 AM
Heat comes from the kinetic energy of the vehicle. That's mass times speed^2. It has nothing to do with the size of the tires. If anything, more rubber would allow you to stop harder and faster, which is actually easier on the brakes than a long and slow stop. Please don't try and BS this.

Bling is fine, as long as it doesn't try and pass itself off as usefulness.
you apparently don't know enough about physics then. your analysis is quite one dimensional. it's cute to talk about kinetic energy in absolutes. now let's broaden our horizons and talk about RATE, as in energy transfer rate, energy dissipation rate etc.

bigger tires make bigger torque, bigger torque on the rotor will either overpower the pad or if you have a manly pad then it will cause higher rate of energy transfer because the tire is capable of sustaining the load.

this causes more heat, sometimes this causes caliper flex, sometimes it causes rotor warpage, some times it causes poor braking confidence overlyall after all these feelings are considered.

it doesn't matter how light the car is, when you have enough tire and you're using it all you can create significant amounts of heat.

even the ariel atom has a big brake package from the factory.
Old 11-27-2007, 12:45 AM

Originally Posted by SpeedxRacer,Nov 27 2007, 01:22 AM
Thats alot of money for just 2 brackets and brake rotors.. because that is all your getting different from the OEM setup.
rotors are the same?
Old 11-27-2007, 12:47 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by trinydex,Nov 27 2007, 01:42 AM
you apparently don't know enough about physics then.
Guess not. Please don't tell my boss. Or the people who awarded me my engineering degree.

Too bad you didn't take my advice about trying to BS your way out of this. I'm afraid you haven't intimidated me with your awesome knowlege of physics. I already mentioned that faster heat transfer into the rotor actually extends the life of the rotor compared to a slower transfer of the same heat, but I guess you missed that.

One quick question for you, though. How many brake rotors have you personally used up on your S2000? Because if it's under 10, I'm ahead of you in experience as well as theory.
Old 11-27-2007, 12:53 AM

how many big brake kits have you gone through? for being an engineer you're not exactly providing ample proof of anything...
Old 11-27-2007, 12:55 AM

Old 11-27-2007, 12:56 AM

Originally Posted by trinydex,Nov 27 2007, 01:53 AM
how many big brake kits have you gone through?
Zero. Because I didn't need any of them.

Do a survey of the S2000s at any track day. See how many of the people with more than five track days under their belt are using BBKs on their cars. You may be surprised about the results.
Old 11-27-2007, 12:59 AM

in this survey do you include what tire sizes they're running? that was the point to begin with.
Old 11-27-2007, 01:02 AM

Originally Posted by trinydex,Nov 27 2007, 01:59 AM
in this survey do you include what tire sizes they're running? that was the point to begin with.
Only in your mind. But sure, include that factor. You'll get the same answer.

When the car is actually driven hard, brakes are just a wear and tear replacement item. The BBKs are just more money to spend on replacement and more weight on the car.

For a show car, though, or for cruising at the local Starbucks, they sure are pretty.
Old 11-27-2007, 01:04 AM

how do you reconcile race teams that use bigger brakes on their cars that run slicks? is it that their cars are heavier? their cars are faster? i just wonder how you can possibly think what you're thinking except that you want to be "cool" so fast on your stock brakes you can make everyone else feel uncool cuz they're ricers that want bbks.

Quick Reply: NEW Rotora rear Brake kit