S2000 Modifications and Parts Discussions about aftermarket products and parts including reviews, information and opinion.

New source for replica side strakes - Review

Old 06-14-2019, 05:07 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The car in the ebay listing is mine I have oem side strakes. please don't let them tell you those are replica ones to make you buy them.
Old 06-14-2019, 05:51 AM

Received 1,129 Likes on 992 Posts

Are these functional or cosmetic? Always been curious if these do anything but look good on our cars.

-- Chuck
Old 06-14-2019, 05:55 AM

Received 1,305 Likes on 987 Posts

Wow. Did they license the photo, or did they just steal it from internet? Not cool.

The closeups of the parts off the car, those aren't your oem parts though, correct? They may be able to say they answered my questions truthfully if they claim they meant the photos of parts off the car are their replica parts.

If the parts turn out to be decent, I will let them know they need a photo with their actual part on an example car to get any respect from the audience that would be buying their product.
Old 06-14-2019, 06:32 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The silver s2000 is mine, I was never notified or asked. technically those photos are owned by superstreet. that is one of the photos from my feature. the close up part is not my part. just the main picture is my car.
Old 06-14-2019, 09:01 AM

If Superstreet owns the photos, and has them copyrighted (they're naive if they don't), they can get infringing use of their property taken down quickly.

There have been successful business models that involve copyrighting photos, but placing them in public domain in such a way as to encourage entities to copy them and use in their own business websites, then suing the heck outta anyone that took the bait (they use crawlers to search through internet looking for their copyrighted photos, then sue sites owners).

Since in this case photo infringement is on eBay, they would shut this listing down immediately if they were alerted copyrighted photos were used by a commercial entity on their platform.

But if photo was never copyrighted, all bets are off. Vendor is safe.

Maybe ask Superstreet if they copyrighted your photo. Meanwhile I will see if I can message vendor to let them know community (all their potential customers) are now aware of photo reuse. Maybe that alone will encourage them to use a photo of their actual product mounted on a car...
Old 06-14-2019, 12:03 PM

Received 95 Likes on 64 Posts

Rep companies that use/steal pictures of other cars using authentic parts to promote their products are the WORST. They're just out to make themselves look good and trick customers. How hard would it be for them to paint a set of their own product, put it on a car and take pics for themselves? Despicable. I had someone steal my pics for this exact reason as well and he tried to make me look like the bad guy for having his account reported.

Back to the subject of side strakes--as a couple others mentioned, honestly $300-400 for used OEM is not bad at all. They may not be available new in all colors anymore, but at least they're easily able to be found in the 2nd hand market (either used or NOS). Once 10 more years goes by and they're no where to be found, many will wish they could buy a set for even $500. I am very against replica parts but ended up buying a replica 97 ITR front lip spoiler for my integra because OEM are impossible to find. Myself and many others would gladly pay even $800 for a used lip but they're beyond rare and those that have them won't let them go--replica lips just all fit horribly. The same thing will happen to all highly desired but discontinued OEM parts eventually and many people in the future will wish they bought the OEM part for "cheap back in the day"....which is now people!!
Old 06-14-2019, 12:36 PM

As a counter point, the opinion of the aftermarket replica oem rear spoilers is very high. Fit is excellent, paint seems to always match well. Its just not worth buying that part from Honda if the car is not a showpiece.

Perhaps these replica strakes won't have that level of fit and finish. But used OEM strakes are very hard to come by. You have to wait for the right color (or be willing to pay to repaint), and they almost always are missing the lowers.

Its not like there are many options here.
Old 06-14-2019, 03:21 PM
Community Organizer

Received 76 Likes on 60 Posts

I know a friend that has been looking for a while, they are definitely hard to come by, especially up here in Canada
Old 06-16-2019, 06:56 AM

Received 156 Likes on 114 Posts

Originally Posted by Kyle
Yes, @Deckoz is running one and it looks factory.

Or close enough for my liking

Originally Posted by Chuck S
Are these functional or cosmetic? Always been curious if these do anything but look good on our cars.

-- Chuck
The Strakes are to "stop turbulent air from hitting the tire"...and looks...and rock chips as thats a prime chip area.

I'm probably gonna order these strakes @Car Analogy let us know if they are good. The last ones i got from a different seller looked 4 piece, but came as solid 1 piece...not good . lol.
Old 06-21-2019, 04:13 PM

Bump for updated first post, parts received, initial impressions added...

Quick Reply: New source for replica side strakes - Review