S2000 Modifications and Parts Discussions about aftermarket products and parts including reviews, information and opinion.

Nitrous for Tracking?

Old 05-24-2009, 09:44 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Nitrous for Tracking?

Okay so i've been thinking about nitrous ever since ive seen all of directport's posts lol.

My main goal for the car is to have a daily driver that I can take to the track and have some fuun with. So my question is would nitrous be ok for the track? I know it runs off of a bottle and when the bottles out so is your power lol.

maybe using smaller hp jets or something idk lol and another question. If i want to do the occasional autox and maybe track day are my espelirs ok for that or should coilovers be my next purchase?

thanks for all the help

pfj
Old 05-24-2009, 10:28 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

IMO you bought the wrong car if you want to run nitrous. Mustangs are perfect NOS and quarter miles

Stock powered s2ks are amongst some of the fastest street legal cars to run the circuit. There are other ways to get power.....2.2L.
Old 05-24-2009, 10:38 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

You would need a very sophisticated and expensive system to make it worthwhile at the track.
Old 05-24-2009, 11:23 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

If by "track" you mean road courses, then you should be made aware than many trackday organizers ban nitrous-equipped cars.
Old 05-25-2009, 03:08 AM

if youre running track nitrous migt not be the best thing to use, since theres such a large 'hit' of power- you cant activate it too low since itll backfire through the intake and controllable power is what you want on te track.
Old 05-25-2009, 04:36 AM

There is not really any point to run nitrous at an HPDE if thats what your considering, however with NASA, i have ran it on the back straight at limerock and watkins glen More of just for the drag strip and a little blast on the street. If you run a mild shot and can drive it turns your s2k into a 12 second car.
Old 05-25-2009, 04:38 AM
Former Moderator

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Nitrous is not allowed at SCCA autox events. You have to pull the bottle out of the car to run.
Old 05-25-2009, 08:16 AM

ok guys thanks for all the replies and I didn't realize that nitrous wasn't allowed in most of these events.

and yes rob.ok thats what I really really want to do is an NA Stroker build but I'm gonna have to wait for a while to save up the cash for any of this lol. That's probably what I'll end up doing though I may just start going to races and things before I decide what I need lol.

anyway thank you again guys and sorry for my noobishness lol

pfj
Old 05-25-2009, 01:22 PM

I used to run a 50 shot of nitrous at road courses all the time (HPDE) on my old track car (non-s2k). Not sure if it was technically allowed but no one ever checks for HPDE so I kept it on a dont ask dont tell basis.... It actually worked really well.

Think about this, nitrous systems only engage at 100% throttle. You only give it 100% throttle coming out of corners or on straights. Basically it is used during times that it would not hurt to take a "hit" of power.

The other thing you need to consider is duration. Keep in mind that the bottle gets used up fairly quickly on the track. But actually not quiet as quickly as most would think since you are not always spraying. A 10lb bottle of nitrous running a 50 shot lasted me about 2, 25 minute sessions. I had two bottles so I would swap out (takes 10 mins) mid day so that i could get 4 sessions with spray.

Please dont flame me for my comments. I understand that nitrous is not the most functional thing on a road course, but it was probably the most fun I've had on the track. Also it was great to be able to keep up with higher horsepower cars on the straights/ more power to pass those stubborn drivers who are slow around the track but fast in the straights.

Nitrous is a cheap power gain. Since it is universal for the most part there is a huge used part market. I purchased a kit used with every accessory imaginable used it for a little over a year then resold it for the same price i paid. In the end the only cost i incurred was for nitrous refills.
Old 05-26-2009, 01:41 AM

dragging is okay, but most competitive circuit course events dont advocate nitrous

Quick Reply: Nitrous for Tracking?