S2000 Modifications and Parts Discussions about aftermarket products and parts including reviews, information and opinion.

OEM AP1 Replica Front Lip

Old 06-15-2014, 11:43 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default OEM AP1 Replica Front Lip

I know there are quite a few threads regarding the eBay front lips, but I just wanted to share my experience to help others who are in the same boat as I was a few weeks ago. I've only had the car for a month and a half, but I was determined to get an OEM lip, not a replica, however I realized how hard OEM ones are to find and they are really pricey. I decided to say screw it and ordered the eBay lip from "baysonr" for $50. It shipped quickly and when it arrived I took it out of the box and was kind of disappointed. It was out of shape in some areas and I didn't have high hopes for it. So the next day I was doing a bunch of maintenance on my car and just left the lip out in the sun for hours. It actually went back to its original shape after being in the sun! Once I was finished with maintenance, I decided to test fit the lip and was very impressed with the fitment. These pictures had nothing holding it in place, no screws or anything:

Then I had my buddy prep and paint it for me last week and I also ordered the OEM weatherstripping for the lip. So today I got around to installing it and I couldn't be happier! There are no gaps, no waviness, and the weatherstripping makes it look so nice. I didn't use any of the hardware that the lip came with, I ended up just using thin 3M double sided tape on the front portion of the lip, and then one screw in each wheel well. So for under $200 total, I'm very happy with it and just wanted to share my experience with you all! Here is the finished product:

Old 06-15-2014, 11:53 AM

Great job! I think a lot of what ebay-body purchases come down to is how well people install them. Fitment looks great, the weatherstripping and 3M tape was a good idea
Old 06-15-2014, 12:18 PM

Received 322 Likes on 273 Posts

Love the look
Levi
Old 06-15-2014, 01:05 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

can say that seller is very food, my first lip from another seller was terrible and never fit right, baysonrs comes out of the box looking mangled but it bends onto the bumper to fit perfect.
Old 06-16-2014, 05:54 AM

Received 122 Likes on 99 Posts

Nice job. I tried searching ebay for baysonr but only found an AP2 replica lip. Links?
Old 06-16-2014, 07:39 AM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Looks factory! Nice job and thanks for the review.
Old 06-16-2014, 04:45 PM

Thanks for the kind words everyone!

Originally Posted by dwb993
Nice job. I tried searching ebay for baysonr but only found an AP2 replica lip. Links?
This is it: http://www.ebay.com/itm/390842326245

Edit: but it looks like he doesn't have another listing for them right now. There are other sellers with them, but I'm not sure about the fitment/quality of those. Hopefully baysonr will list it again, sorry man
Old 06-17-2014, 03:53 PM

Welp, I left work today and as I was merging onto the highway my front lip decided to fly off and I ran over it. Got out and picked it up before anyone else ran it over. Fortunately, nothing is wrong with it other than it needing repainted. Just sucks since I just had it painted, what a waste of money. Oh well, could have been worse. Once I get it back from paint again ill be sure to find a better way to secure it. I thought 3M tape all along the front and then screws in the fender wells would be enough but apparently not. It seemed very secure and was fine for the past few days, but I guess I'll need to secure it better. Just another FYI to everyone, learn from my mistake! Haha.
Old 06-17-2014, 10:19 PM

Received 1,553 Likes on 922 Posts

Originally Posted by 01SSM
Welp, I left work today and as I was merging onto the highway my front lip decided to fly off and I ran over it. Got out and picked it up before anyone else ran it over. Fortunately, nothing is wrong with it other than it needing repainted. Just sucks since I just had it painted, what a waste of money. Oh well, could have been worse. Once I get it back from paint again ill be sure to find a better way to secure it. I thought 3M tape all along the front and then screws in the fender wells would be enough but apparently not. It seemed very secure and was fine for the past few days, but I guess I'll need to secure it better. Just another FYI to everyone, learn from my mistake! Haha.
Its funny I was going to ask you what kind of 3M tape you used. I know they do make an automotive specialty tape just for things like this along with a trim/accessory adhesive in several colors.
Old 06-18-2014, 04:39 AM

Originally Posted by cosmomiller
Originally Posted by 01SSM' timestamp='1403049222' post='23207482
Its funny I was going to ask you what kind of 3M tape you used. I know they do make an automotive specialty tape just for things like this along with a trim/accessory adhesive in several colors.
Yep, that's the kind I used.

Quick Reply: OEM AP1 Replica Front Lip