S2000 Modifications and Parts Discussions about aftermarket products and parts including reviews, information and opinion.

OEM Fender or New Aftermarket Pair?

Old 12-14-2011, 05:14 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default OEM Fender or New Aftermarket Pair?

So I purchased my 2001 AP1 GPW knowing that the front passenger Fender was replaced, and they did a shit job matching paint and fitting it. So I now need to replace it. My two options are:

1. Buy an OEM fender, just one, and have it matched and installed.

2. Replace both fenders with an aftermarket set, possibly 25mm wider for wheel clearance.

Who has had success with aftermarket fenders? I am very picky and want the fitment to be perfect. What brands and pricing am I looking at for a pair? I have a hook up on OEM stuff at cost, but still think an aftermarket pair may not be much more than one OEM.

Sorry I am a n00b, so take it easy on me.

Mike
Old 12-14-2011, 06:35 AM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I've seen the wider Downforce fenders installed and they fit well. Everything is well thought out and executed nicely. Ive also been looking at the wider VIS carbon fiber fenders (with no vents) but I have yet to receive any feedback on them. I hope you find what you're looking for, it will help me too. Good luck.
Old 12-14-2011, 06:43 AM

Does the fender just need to be adjusted, or is it bad? Another cheaper option may be a used junk yard fender.
Old 12-14-2011, 08:52 AM

Originally Posted by rjones
Does the fender just need to be adjusted, or is it bad? Another cheaper option may be a used junk yard fender.
Well, it appears to be an aftermarket fender. It does not line up well down at the rocker, nor around the headlight and also was not color matched well. I suppose I could just have the body shop adjust that one, but I would prefer either A: Buying an OEM one and having it be perfect or B: getting a whole aftermarket set that has had good reviews and is ~25MM wider (no tacky vents)

Not neccessarily looking for "cheap" so a used boneyard one won't be a path I take. I could just fix the one that's there if I was doing cheap. I guess I am just scared of aftermarket ones not lining up right, or looking shitty.

Who else has had good results with aftermarket? What brand? Price?
Old 12-14-2011, 09:13 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

downforce fenders or gtmotoring fenders
Old 12-14-2011, 01:40 PM

Received 103 Likes on 85 Posts

downforce oem style widened fenders
Old 12-14-2011, 01:50 PM

Originally Posted by berlinas2k2
Oem. Aftermarket oem sucks on fit and are very thin.
Thank you. This is the kind of feedback I was looking for!!! Jap sheet metal is thin enough as it is :-)

Although I hear that the DF widened ones are of very high quality and fitment, they are 900 stinking dollars
Old 12-14-2011, 04:01 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by WhiteAP1ftw
...Jap...
I'm not Japanese, but that is a racist term.

Anyway, are you sure your fender is aftermarket? Without proper adjustment, even OEM fenders will not line up properly and can have poor fitment.

If it is an OEM fender, find a good bodyshop and have it adjusted and painted.
Old 12-14-2011, 05:06 PM

Originally Posted by alpha318
Originally Posted by WhiteAP1ftw' timestamp='1323903052' post='21237772
...Jap...
I'm not Japanese, but that is a racist term.

Anyway, are you sure your fender is aftermarket? Without proper adjustment, even OEM fenders will not line up properly and can have poor fitment.

If it is an OEM fender, find a good bodyshop and have it adjusted and painted.
I was just shortening the word and meant no offense by it. My apologies to anyone I offended.

I am sure it is and aftermarket one, and a thin aftermarket one at that. I am in the "business" if you will, so body shop is not an issue. (probably won't even have to pay for paint work)

I will probably end up going OEM replacement, as I cannot afford the Downforce (or at least cannot justify it) ones. The body shop aftermarket ones seem to be crap from what people are saying.
Old 12-14-2011, 08:43 PM

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

there is no such thing as "oem style aftermarket" no company makes the oem style products for the s2000 because it was not a mass produced car. the fender that you have on your car is oem and once a car gets into an accident parts will never look straight. something will always not line up.

Quick Reply: OEM Fender or New Aftermarket Pair?