S2000 Modifications and Parts Discussions about aftermarket products and parts including reviews, information and opinion.

OEM Hardtop Driver Side Catcher Defroster Wiring

Old 04-29-2013, 09:54 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default OEM Hardtop Driver Side Catcher Defroster Wiring

So the hardware that I bought with my OEM Hardtop consists of a wireless driver side catcher. I have the hardtop wiring harness, but from my knowledge, the driver side catcher wire connects to the hardtop wiring harness which I believe makes a closed circuit, stopping the defroster on the soft top, and allowing the hardtop defroster to work only. Now I've opened up my driver side catcher where there is a mini panel held by three tiny screws , this is where the catcher wiring connects into. However, when i open it, there are only three metal prongs, which doesn't make sense to me. How will the driver side catcher wiring connect inside the catcher? This catcher harness is sold by hondapartscheap.com for 50$ separately, but i don't want to buy this semi-expensive piece (for what it is) if it wont even be able to be attached. Also my other question is, if I don't even have my soft-top anymore, would i even need this driver side catcher wiring harness, being that there isn't a soft-top defroster to even be heated, or does this harness actually turn on the hardtop defroster.

CLIFF NOTES:
-my driver side catcher doesn't have wire harness
-is this catcher harness needed if i don't have soft-top anymore
-if it is needed how is it connected into driver side catcher

P.S. IF A CERTAIN SOMEONE READS THIS (YOU KNOW WHO YOU ARE), I WILL GIVE CREDIT WHERE CREDIT IS DUE. LOL

***Also, if for some reason someone has this wiring harness i will gladly pay you for it. Paypal Verified and Ready

***It is number 21 in this diagram:
Name:  s2000hardtop_zps1a1d59a2.gif
Views: 1217
Size:  21.3 KB
Old 04-29-2013, 02:37 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Can't really tell what you're trying to get at but from what I "think" you wrote, I believe you are missing the lower hardtop defroster harness. If you check the Members and SoCal classifieds thoroughly, there are a few members selling the lower hardtop defroster harnesses.

And yes, you'll need it even if your soft top has been removed if you want your HT defroster to work.
Old 04-29-2013, 03:54 PM

I dont have this wire
Old 04-29-2013, 06:55 PM

Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts

If you have to ask if you need it, then YOU need it. If not, you would know how to read the wiring diagram to work around the switch in the harness on the catcher.

So what I am saying if that I could figure out how to do what I needed to, to make it work.

So you need to buy the right OEM catcher (left side) from a dealer, or figure out how to wire around it.
Old 04-29-2013, 10:47 PM

I wish someone could pull their driver side catcher off and open the casing held on by three tiny screws (top left in the picture) where the wiring is, to show how the wiring connects to the catcher itself. my catchers are oem, just missing the wiring part from the driver side. Not sure what your alluding to stratocaster. There would be no need to fabricate wiring, my main goal is to see how the oem wiring connects to the inside of the catcher as shown in the picture below:
Name:  DSC_0803_zps9cb40f3a.jpg
Views: 884
Size:  33.5 KB
Old 05-06-2013, 07:10 PM

bump
Old 01-10-2015, 05:41 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

bump...i also have a catcher missing the wiring...does anyone know how i can install the wiring? or does anyone know if hardtopguy sells the wiring to make the catcher work with the defroster plug on the hardtop?
Old 01-10-2015, 07:48 PM

Received 3,360 Likes on 2,443 Posts

Do you have any nibs of wiring showing ?, does your catcher have the de-activation button on the top of the part ?. I'm just trying to figure out if the wiring was there initially and was damaged or if the part never had wiring.

If I recall the wiring on the catcher prevents the softop from being raised when the weight of the hardtop activates the small button on the top of the catcher. I'm not totally sure that you need the wiring for the hardtop defroster to work if the softop has been gutted, it might work on it's own as long as you can get the harness plugged into the vehicle wiring.

I've read that 00-01 cars did not have defrost de-activation as there were no defrosters on the plastic windows, so they might not have had wiring on the catchers.