S2000 Modifications and Parts Discussions about aftermarket products and parts including reviews, information and opinion.

Ohlins DFV Coilover Kit

Old 08-12-2012, 12:22 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

I am registered for an HPDE at MSR in Cresson, TX on Sept 22nd! I can't wait to see how the Ohlins do out there!
Old 08-12-2012, 12:24 PM
Former Sponsor

I'll definitely provide updates in this thread with video after the event.
Old 08-12-2012, 07:16 PM
Sponsor

Received 41 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by Gernby
I'll definitely provide updates in this thread with video after the event.
Looking forward to it. Congrats on the sponsorship!!!

How have the Ohlins been since? Are you "numb" to the improvement yet or are you still feeling the difference and benefit?

Old 08-13-2012, 06:11 AM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by Urge

How have the Ohlins been since? Are you "numb" to the improvement yet or are you still feeling the difference and benefit?
I have definitely gotten used to the improvements, but I don't think "numb" would be the right word for it at all. It's really just a new level of confidence in the car. When I first installed the DFV's, I was consistently surprised by how planted the car was, but now I'm just thrittled that it continues to do what I know it can. This may sound good to some and bad to others, but it's actually changed the way I drive on public roads. At my age, I had gotten out of driving agressively on the street, and even started buying all-season tires for daily driving. However, the DFV's have taken me back to my roots, where I want to have race rubber all the time! I literally just took my autocross / track tires tires off the car last week after daily driving on them for a couple months.

Thanks for the congrats on the sponsorship. I still haven't received my first dollar in revenue, since I don't have a complete production unit quite yet, but I hope to have one soon. I just signed up for sponsorship so I could openely discuss my exhaust without violating the rules. The thread about it is here.

BTW, I really look forward to testing my mid-pipe with one of your builds! I'd love for it to find a home in your product line-up.
Old 08-13-2012, 08:45 AM
Sponsor

Originally Posted by Urge' timestamp='1344827813' post='21932098

I have definitely gotten used to the improvements, but I don't think "numb" would be the right word for it at all. It's really just a new level of confidence in the car. When I first installed the DFV's, I was consistently surprised by how planted the car was, but now I'm just thrittled that it continues to do what I know it can. This may sound good to some and bad to others, but it's actually changed the way I drive on public roads. At my age, I had gotten out of driving agressively on the street, and even started buying all-season tires for daily driving. However, the DFV's have taken me back to my roots, where I want to have race rubber all the time! I literally just took my autocross / track tires tires off the car last week after daily driving on them for a couple months.

Thanks for the congrats on the sponsorship. I still haven't received my first dollar in revenue, since I don't have a complete production unit quite yet, but I hope to have one soon. I just signed up for sponsorship so I could openely discuss my exhaust without violating the rules. The thread about it is here.

BTW, I really look forward to testing my mid-pipe with one of your builds! I'd love for it to find a home in your product line-up.
You absolutely will. Im just trying to get the halo engine done and you can see how it performs on a max street/road race engine. I might leave it up in Dallas for a week to let friends play..

Old 08-19-2012, 01:57 PM
Former Sponsor

I will post a track review of the Ohlins after my event on September 22nd, but I wanted to give another update about autocrossing. I've been to 3 autocrosses since installing the Ohlins, and am still loving them, but they actually surprised me again yesterday. The 1st and 2nd autocrosses I attended were at a location where the pavement is very old and bumpy with lots of patches and gravel. I was extremely impressed with how well the car performed with the Ohlins on the crappy surface, but didn't really think they would shine as brightly on a perfectly smooth and consistent surface. I figured that it would be better to have a very stiff suspension at a venue with perfect pavement.

It seems that I was wrong, since the Ohlins were just as surprising on the perfect surface! The events that occur at this particular venue always have more / better attendees than the events at the other location, and this particular event had a bunch of people on "new" Hoosiers. I didn't think I was going to be able to compete with several of the cars that showed up, since they've beaten me so many times in the past. However, I wound up with the 2nd fastest time of the day, even though I was on the same set of Hankook RS-3's I've been using. The guy that beat my best time is the guy I've never beaten, and is a national level competitor in SCCA. We did 10 runs, and 3 of his times were faster than my best time.

Here is a video showing most of my best run. I have to thank Harry's Laptimer for cutting out the beginning of the run, since I have no idea why it happened. Take note of what you hear just seconds after the start of the video, and how I respond. The glove box fell open when I hit the brakes, and a bunch of stuff (radar detector, garage door opener, glasses, box of condoms [extra-large], etc.) dumped out on my lap. Thankfully I was able to quickly use my elbow to close the lid without ruining my run. However, If you look at the steering inputs that I made because of it, it's amazing that I maintained control of the car! The Ohlins are just so friggin' forgiving! In fact, if you watch my hands throughout the run, I'm constantly jerking the car around, but the Ohlins just "handle it".

BTW, the video quality will be much better if you click the "Watch on YouTube" button.

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e1SkANwk-Ao&hd=1[/media]
Old 08-22-2012, 01:11 PM
Sponsor

I will post a track review of the Ohlins after my event on September 22nd, but I wanted to give another update about autocrossing. I've been to 3 autocrosses since installing the Ohlins, and am still loving them, but they actually surprised me again yesterday. The 1st and 2nd autocrosses I attended were at a location where the pavement is very old and bumpy with lots of patches and gravel. I was extremely impressed with how well the car performed with the Ohlins on the crappy surface, but didn't really think they would shine as brightly on a perfectly smooth and consistent surface. I figured that it would be better to have a very stiff suspension at a venue with perfect pavement.

It seems that I was wrong, since the Ohlins were just as surprising on the perfect surface! The events that occur at this particular venue always have more / better attendees than the events at the other location, and this particular event had a bunch of people on "new" Hoosiers. I didn't think I was going to be able to compete with several of the cars that showed up, since they've beaten me so many times in the past. However, I wound up with the 2nd fastest time of the day, even though I was on the same set of Hankook RS-3's I've been using. The guy that beat my best time is the guy I've never beaten, and is a national level competitor in SCCA. We did 10 runs, and 3 of his times were faster than my best time.

Here is a video showing most of my best run. I have to thank Harry's Laptimer for cutting out the beginning of the run, since I have no idea why it happened. Take note of what you hear just seconds after the start of the video, and how I respond. The glove box fell open when I hit the brakes, and a bunch of stuff (radar detector, garage door opener, glasses, box of condoms [extra-large], etc.) dumped out on my lap. Thankfully I was able to quickly use my elbow to close the lid without ruining my run. However, If you look at the steering inputs that I made because of it, it's amazing that I maintained control of the car! The Ohlins are just so friggin' forgiving! In fact, if you watch my hands throughout the run, I'm constantly jerking the car around, but the Ohlins just "handle it".

BTW, the video quality will be much better if you click the "Watch on YouTube" button.

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e1SkANwk-Ao&hd=1[/media]
Loving the updates.. Cant figure out why more people are not buying these..

Old 08-22-2012, 06:12 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I fixed the front ride height when I got home (quick and easy), then went for another test drive. I was even more impressed than last night, and no longer worry that the car will be less fun (fighting the car is fun). I now realize that being able to simply drive faster should make up for it. It's been a long time since I've been this satisfied by a car related purchase (probably since the FlashPro, which is my favorite mod of all time!)..

What were you measurements for this ride height front and back? Looks like a nice drop without being slammed and actually is functional.
Old 08-23-2012, 04:43 AM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by Excalibur
What were you measurements for this ride height front and back? Looks like a nice drop without being slammed and actually is functional.
Which measurements are you referring to? I think it's dropped about 1.25" front and rear.
Old 08-23-2012, 08:19 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Excalibur' timestamp='1345687979' post='21957623

Which measurements are you referring to? I think it's dropped about 1.25" front and rear.
From the top of the hat to the middle of the bolt hole at the bottom?

Quick Reply: Ohlins DFV Coilover Kit