S2000 Modifications and Parts Discussions about aftermarket products and parts including reviews, information and opinion.

OS Giken Single and Twin Plate Clutches?

Old 09-19-2018, 10:57 PM

Received 186 Likes on 160 Posts

Oh that single plate supports ~430HP
Old 09-20-2018, 10:21 AM

Received 1,243 Likes on 943 Posts

How much power are you making?

And what type of use does OSG describe for the types of clutches you're looking at? I would be surprised if they are streetable.

A low inertia single plate S2000 clutch that supports 430hp doesn't scream "street use clutch" lol.

My Exedy Hyper single was difficult to drive on the street, noisy AF, and lasted only 19K miles because I street drove it. It wasn't meant for street use. So I'm sure low RPM parking and traffic usage cost me some engine lifespan (thrust bearings) as well as clutch lifespan.

AMAZING clutch while I was using it on the track, though. Just not brilliant on the road.

Twin plates aren't street clutches (usually). But you need less clamp load...so maybe its better for your thrust bearings. And they may have better engagement qualities than a heavy single. The stock NSX clutch was twin plate...so...they can work, obviously.

Any clutch that's got more clamp load than OEM should definitely be paired up with an interlock bypass switch.

Either way...seems unnecessary unless you're making big power and torque.

There are proven "sport" clutch solutions that work.
The following users liked this post:
RolanTHUNDER (09-20-2018)
Old 09-20-2018, 03:42 PM

Received 125 Likes on 108 Posts

+1 on the Exedy Hyper single clutch kit(ceramic disc) not being recommended for street use. It was too noisy, heavy pedal and the flywheel was too light(around 8 lbs I think).

I have a SOS Sport clutch(older one) on my 325WHP S2000 and it has low noise and close to OEM pedal effort. I went with their 11.5 flywheel too. I would check out the J's racing clutch slave cylinder if you want a lighter clutch pedal.

Product comparison of the SOS clutchs: https://www.scienceofspeed.com/index...p/clutch-guide

Last edited by jackmugen02; 09-20-2018 at 03:44 PM.
Old 09-20-2018, 11:28 PM

Originally Posted by B serious
How much power are you making?

And what type of use does OSG describe for the types of clutches you're looking at? I would be surprised if they are streetable.

A low inertia single plate S2000 clutch that supports 430hp doesn't scream "street use clutch" lol.

My Exedy Hyper single was difficult to drive on the street, noisy AF, and lasted only 19K miles because I street drove it. It wasn't meant for street use. So I'm sure low RPM parking and traffic usage cost me some engine lifespan (thrust bearings) as well as clutch lifespan.

AMAZING clutch while I was using it on the track, though. Just not brilliant on the road.

Twin plates aren't street clutches (usually). But you need less clamp load...so maybe its better for your thrust bearings. And they may have better engagement qualities than a heavy single. The stock NSX clutch was twin plate...so...they can work, obviously.

Any clutch that's got more clamp load than OEM should definitely be paired up with an interlock bypass switch.

Either way...seems unnecessary unless you're making big power and torque.

There are proven "sport" clutch solutions that work.
For now stock power enhanced by an Invidia 60mm TP. I do have a Vortech V2 kit that will be bolted on in the near future though. Didn't know about the Hyper from Exedy being how you described. I found Spoon clutch disc and clutch cover said to handle 30% more torque. How about that for street and track? Probably an ACT HD PP with stock disk for boost?

I found that OSG clutches are all basically push type which will require a conversion mechanism. I'm not interested in that to be honest.

My OEM clutch is still new and works well.
Old 09-20-2018, 11:34 PM

Originally Posted by jackmugen02
+1 on the Exedy Hyper single clutch kit(ceramic disc) not being recommended for street use. It was too noisy, heavy pedal and the flywheel was too light(around 8 lbs I think).

I have a SOS Sport clutch(older one) on my 325WHP S2000 and it has low noise and close to OEM pedal effort. I went with their 11.5 flywheel too. I would check out the J's racing clutch slave cylinder if you want a lighter clutch pedal.

Product comparison of the SOS clutchs: https://www.scienceofspeed.com/index...p/clutch-guide
J's reinforced slave cylinder? I saw it on RHD. Looks good. I don't need a new clutch now while NA but if I had to choose one I'd like to have a kit that offers a little less slip making shifts that little bit faster especially when hauling ass at 9200 rpm and when pulling uphill. I've noticed on uphill pulls (not steep hills just the general incline) it will pull nicely but then when I shift at red line RPM would drop more than I'd like but conversely on downhills its like all out quick shifts with no RPM drop off. That feeling is awesome! I am happy to stay with my AP1 flywheel if I change to an aftermarket clutch kit down the (boost) road. The Spoon disk and PP look like a good option too.
Old 09-21-2018, 07:00 AM

Originally Posted by RolanTHUNDER
For now stock power enhanced by an Invidia 60mm TP. I do have a Vortech V2 kit that will be bolted on in the near future though. Didn't know about the Hyper from Exedy being how you described. I found Spoon clutch disc and clutch cover said to handle 30% more torque. How about that for street and track? Probably an ACT HD PP with stock disk for boost?

I found that OSG clutches are all basically push type which will require a conversion mechanism. I'm not interested in that to be honest.

My OEM clutch is still new and works well.

Seems like tried and true combination is ACT plate and OEM disk/everything else.

Your supercharged setup shouldn't need anything VERY special, as torque is still fairly low and linear.

Still do plan on the clutch interlock bypass switch, though, to be thorough, M8.
Old 09-24-2018, 09:58 PM

Originally Posted by B serious
Seems like tried and true combination is ACT plate and OEM disk/everything else.

Your supercharged setup shouldn't need anything VERY special, as torque is still fairly low and linear.

Still do plan on the clutch interlock bypass switch, though, to be thorough, M8.
Apparently the ACT/OEM combo is a little slower on the uptake (clutch pedal travelling back up from being depressed) which takes getting used to...?

Interlock bypass...you USDM dudes have those as standard, correct?
Old 09-25-2018, 07:10 AM

Originally Posted by RolanTHUNDER
Apparently the ACT/OEM combo is a little slower on the uptake (clutch pedal travelling back up from being depressed) which takes getting used to...?

Interlock bypass...you USDM dudes have those as standard, correct?

Shouldn't be slower on uptake. More clamp load means the spring will push the pedal up faster, if anything.

USDM cars have clutch interlocks. Meaning you need to push the clutch to start the car. You'd want to bypass that with a thumb operated switch.

You install a momentary switch that you can push. Then you start the car. That way, you don't have to push the clutch pedal down to start it.
Old 09-25-2018, 09:39 AM
Site Moderator

Received 345 Likes on 300 Posts

I just put the ACT OEM combo into my ap2 along with an act 11lb flywheel and really like how it feels. Pedal is maybe a little heavier than stock but not bad by any means and it does grab nicely. The new flywheel is a must if you have an AP2 and are putting a clutch in. Totally transforms the car.
Old 09-25-2018, 11:32 AM

Received 426 Likes on 362 Posts

My ACT PP feels lighter than stock, but I guess that's mostly because my OEM setup was not greased correctly.
I'm went with the 8lbs ACT prolite flywheel because lighter is better and I don't have any regrets, it's a perfect setup

Quick Reply: OS Giken Single and Twin Plate Clutches?