S2000 Modifications and Parts Discussions about aftermarket products and parts including reviews, information and opinion.

Pics of my Forbidden Mugen Hardtop and Review

Old 11-04-2016, 07:35 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Pics of my Forbidden Mugen Hardtop and Review

I ordered my hardtop from Forbidden and had it sent to my body guy. He did minimal body work to it and painted it and it came out fantastic as you can see in the pics below!

When I went to install the hardtop, I noticed that I never received the rear window seal. I emailed Alberto at forbidden and he quickly sent out a seal. Once I got the seal, I got ready to install the Lexan window myself, but I was honestly not pleased with the way the plexi was flexing. I researched the VIS mugen hardtop and the rear window option that was offered with that hardtop and I contacted them. I ended up getting ahold of one of their sales managers whose name was Fred. He helped me out with getting just the rear glass and at a great price shipped as well (contact him at s2kflyinlow@gmail.com. Tell him that Bruce told you to talk to him in regards to getting a mugen hardtop rear window).

I then waited for the glass rear window to come and once it arrived I had a local glass installer install it so I would have no water leaks. After that, I installed the door seals (unfortunately there are no instructions and I installed these before I put the hardtop on my car, so I cut them too short). Definitely wait to install the door seals until you have the hardtop sitting on your car. The OEM style hardware that Forbidden makes has been out of stock for sometime so I had to go with just the basic/street brackets. I installed the oem honda hardtop strikers and hardtop latches and then bolted everything up.

The fitment is great! I really don't think it could be much better aside from the sides on the rear. There's a tiny gap on each side that is impossible to seal, but no water leaks in even when using a pressure washer. The only complaint so far is that I am having wind noise above 80mph and I have a creak that seems to be on the right, right behind where a passenger would be sitting. When the OEM hardware is available I'm going to make sure I grease my rear seal with shin etsu grease and that I do not push down on the hardtop to tighten the bolts this time.

Overall happiness with the Mugen Forbidden top: 9/10
Attached Thumbnails Pics of my Forbidden Mugen Hardtop and Review-img_0050.jpg   Pics of my Forbidden Mugen Hardtop and Review-img_0051.jpg   Pics of my Forbidden Mugen Hardtop and Review-img_0388.jpg   Pics of my Forbidden Mugen Hardtop and Review-img_0386.jpg   Pics of my Forbidden Mugen Hardtop and Review-img_0385.jpg  

Pics of my Forbidden Mugen Hardtop and Review-img_0256.jpg   Pics of my Forbidden Mugen Hardtop and Review-img_0255.jpg  
Old 11-04-2016, 07:42 AM

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

Car looks killer with that top and those gold RPF1s.
Old 11-04-2016, 08:11 AM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Thanks for the great review, I plan on purchasing one as soon as our Canadian dollar decides to come up some. Beautiful s2k as well, great choice on color combo.
Old 11-05-2016, 11:04 AM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

All your creaks and wind noise would subside if you purchase oem or oem style rear brackets. I know mine did. looks great though!
Old 11-05-2016, 01:16 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by uh0h50
Car looks killer with that top and those gold RPF1s.
Thanks man!

Originally Posted by herap1
Thanks for the great review, I plan on purchasing one as soon as our Canadian dollar decides to come up some. Beautiful s2k as well, great choice on color combo.
Yeah that would be smart. I don't know if you daily yours or not, but the season is just about over anyway.

Originally Posted by Davo307
All your creaks and wind noise would subside if you purchase oem or oem style rear brackets. I know mine did. looks great though!
Perfect! I was hoping that when I get the oem style hardware it would help.
Old 11-06-2016, 04:11 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have the same top with oem front and rear catchers and brackets, oem rear window seal and oem window seals on mine. It made a huge difference from the stuff that came with it from forbidden. If i take the time to adjust it every fall when i reinstall it i can get it nearly perfect without any wind noise. I didn't have the time this year and have a little bit of creaking. I recommend the oem honda rear seal with shin itsu grease.
Old 11-17-2016, 08:13 AM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by herap1
Desperately waiting for that too so I can buy an OEM style one... SOON!
Old 11-17-2016, 08:23 AM

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by GS-R Civic
I have the same top with oem front and rear catchers and brackets, oem rear window seal and oem window seals on mine. It made a huge difference from the stuff that came with it from forbidden. If i take the time to adjust it every fall when i reinstall it i can get it nearly perfect without any wind noise. I didn't have the time this year and have a little bit of creaking. I recommend the oem honda rear seal with shin itsu grease.
This. Especially the window seals. I have all OEM hardware and seals except for the rear, which is on the way to me now. The OEM hardware is great, but not having to fiddle with stick on seals is so much better.
Old 11-17-2016, 12:39 PM

Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts

Nice, good to hear you had a good experience with them. I was attempting to but that fell through.

Hence, my Rockstar Garage choice, couldn't be happier.

Old 11-17-2016, 11:41 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

+1 for Forbidden - great company and Alberto was awesome to deal with. Gave me a great deal on my double carbon hardtop and even installed it for me at the shop. 10/10 fitment on my top fits the windows perfectly no gaps anywhere even in the rear! I love the full carbon look and the seals it came with aren't bad, seals pretty nice. I do get some creaking here and there, but doesn't bother me one bit. My S is loud as f anyways plus I don't complain about every little noise I hear. I just drive and enjoy! Good to see this review, just wanted to add some good feedback for anyone else considering their hardtops
The following users liked this post:
jazs2k (02-24-2020)

Quick Reply: Pics of my Forbidden Mugen Hardtop and Review