S2000 Modifications and Parts Discussions about aftermarket products and parts including reviews, information and opinion.

Raceseng Contour Shift Knob / Renegade Motorsports Brass Shifter Bushing Upgrade

Old 08-29-2017, 04:33 AM

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Raceseng Contour Shift Knob / Renegade Motorsports Brass Shifter Bushing Upgrade

I recently made a couple of upgrades to the shifter in my S2000, and I thought I would post my thoughts about them. I'm not associated with Raceseng or Renegade Motorsports and I paid full price for both items.

I ordered a custom Raceseng Contour shift knob. It was a custom order because of the color, Copper Translucent. I wanted a bold color that still matched the Black and Tan interior of my S2000. Pictures don't do the finish justice, the finish changes in the sunlight and has a really deep effect to it, it looks brilliant. I couldn't be happier with the color. It really is beautiful. The knob itself has a mass of 500 grams, much more than the stock shift knob. The increased inertia really improved gear changes for me. When you place a custom order from Raceseng, they said that it could take up to 5 weeks to process, but I received the shift knob a little over 3 weeks after placing my order. Installation was very easy. You loosen the stock jamb nut with a 14mm wrench, then unscrew the shift knob and jamb nut from the shifter arm. You tighten the thread adapter on to the shifter arm with a 15mm wrench, set the height with the bolt that sits atop the thread adapter, and then screw on and tighten the shift knob. Installation took no more than 1 minute. The height adjustment will be a little more involved if you have a shift pattern engraved on your knob, because you'll have to align that properly. I drove around for a few days with the shift knob as my only modification to my shifter. Some of the gear engagements were still ever so slightly notchy, but actual shifter movements felt much more solid. The increased size over stock was also very comfortable for me, because I have big hands.

I ordered a Renegade Motorsports Brass Shifter Bushing after having discovered their site. It seems to be a new product, having been released less than a month ago. They shipped the bushing the day after I ordered it, and 2 days after that, I received it, which was great. The machining is very high quality and although the bushing isn't cheap, it's well worth it, the workmanship is clearly there. If you've regreased your shifter before, then installation of the shifter bushing is a breeze. It's basically the same process, except when you've fully removed the shifter assembly, you pop off the plastic shifter bushing, grease up the brass bushing (with included urea grease), install it on the bottom of the shifter assembly, and put everything back together. I wasn't sure how much this brass bushing would improve gear engagements, since the plastic bushing that I was removing looked to be in pretty good shape (my car has 72k miles). The difference was night and day, however. The notchiness when engaging 2nd and 3rd after the transmission had warmed up is gone. There's no slop at all in the shifter movement now, and there was very little before. This is a high quality piece, and well worth it for people like me who don't want to upgrade to a complete short shifter assembly.

These 2 upgrades together cost me just under $200, and have transformed the way the car shifts. I highly recommend both products.

Here you can see the shift knob, and the shift knob with my modifry/proclip/custom-power-wiring phone holder
Raceseng Contour shift knob in Copper Translucent
Raceseng Contour shift knob with Modifry/Proclip/Custom-wiring-harness phone holder
Old 08-29-2017, 05:02 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Ordered one today.
Old 08-30-2017, 02:35 AM

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by fastD
Ordered one today.
The shift knob or the brass bushing? Or both?
Old 08-30-2017, 07:23 AM

Received 147 Likes on 96 Posts

I purchased their bushing once it came out, and haven't had a chance to install just yet. Might be able to too tomorrow night.
Old 09-06-2017, 03:52 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

bushing