S2000 Modifications and Parts Discussions about aftermarket products and parts including reviews, information and opinion.

Recaro Pole Position and BuddyClub Super Low Rails on 2006 AP2

Old 04-27-2016, 12:43 AM

Received 31 Likes on 28 Posts

Apologies for the thread bump, but so far this has been the most useful thread I have found on fitting these seats. However, I can't find anything that describes what to do with the airbag sensor and how to remount this so it still works as Honda intended?

Can anyone please advise? I didn't want to attempt to do this before knowing how to resolve all the issues first.

Many thanks .
Old 05-03-2016, 02:32 AM

Anyone?
Old 05-03-2016, 11:57 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Where is the best place to buy Recaro Pole Positions? I don't see any vendors advertising them.
Old 05-05-2016, 01:23 PM

Received 39 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike RT4
Apologies for the thread bump, but so far this has been the most useful thread I have found on fitting these seats. However, I can't find anything that describes what to do with the airbag sensor and how to remount this so it still works as Honda intended?

Can anyone please advise? I didn't want to attempt to do this before knowing how to resolve all the issues first.

Many thanks .
You don't remount it, you just zip tie it to something or leave it loose under the seat. It's an on/off switch that senses if the seat is too far forward and turns off or reduces the airbag power. Unless you are a midget, you sit far enough back that it's ok for the sensor to be loose, as that puts the airbag in "full on" mode all the time.

There is no easy way to maintain passenger airbag functionality in a 2006+ S2000 with an aftermarket passenger seat. That's why you almost never see them except in earlier models.

I highly recommend against setting up the seat belt extender the way the OP did. That tiny little tab will not hold your body weight in an accident, and the seat belt extender will rotate and loosen the belt, causing you to submarine. Break off the tab and mount the extender in the correct orientation, pointed right at the seat's belt hole. The fact that you can easily break the tab off with nothing more than a pair of pliers should be a strong indication of why it is NOT intended to be structural element of the extender.
Old 05-06-2016, 12:04 AM

Originally Posted by thomsbrain
Originally Posted by Mike RT4' timestamp='1461746616' post='23949668

Many thanks .
You don't remount it, you just zip tie it to something or leave it loose under the seat. It's an on/off switch that senses if the seat is too far forward and turns off or reduces the airbag power. Unless you are a midget, you sit far enough back that it's ok for the sensor to be loose, as that puts the airbag in "full on" mode all the time.

There is no easy way to maintain passenger airbag functionality in a 2006+ S2000 with an aftermarket passenger seat. That's why you almost never see them except in earlier models.

I highly recommend against setting up the seat belt extender the way the OP did. That tiny little tab will not hold your body weight in an accident, and the seat belt extender will rotate and loosen the belt, causing you to submarine. Break off the tab and mount the extender in the correct orientation, pointed right at the seat's belt hole. The fact that you can easily break the tab off with nothing more than a pair of pliers should be a strong indication of why it is NOT intended to be structural element of the extender.
Thanks and duly noted . Mine is a MY2005 car, so I "think" I don't have to worry about the passenger side, as I understand that the seat sensors didn't come in until the MY2006 DBW cars?

Just waiting for my seats and rails to land now .
Old 05-06-2016, 01:04 PM

Received 95 Likes on 64 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike RT4
Thanks and duly noted . Mine is a MY2005 car, so I "think" I don't have to worry about the passenger side, as I understand that the seat sensors didn't come in until the MY2006 DBW cars?

MY05 don't have a sensor on either seat, so you'll be fine. There's only a plug for the seat belt light, but you can simply leave it unplugged if you are using a seat belt extender and the light will stay off.
Old 05-09-2016, 12:59 AM

Originally Posted by Chris_Lum
Originally Posted by Mike RT4' timestamp='1462521873' post='23958720

MY05 don't have a sensor on either seat, so you'll be fine. There's only a plug for the seat belt light, but you can simply leave it unplugged if you are using a seat belt extender and the light will stay off.

Perfect - thanks for taking the time to post .
Old 05-10-2016, 02:47 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by circuitclub
Congrats on the purchase, it's beautiful.

Quick question: have you sat in the spg? How do these fit at the shoulders/lats compared to the spy?
The spg is way more snug than the pp...I also just bought a pair of pp's and i went to sit in all the different recaros...there was no way I could comfortably drive in an spg. I'm 5'11 and about 195 pounds...throughout college I was about 165 pounds, even at that weight I think the spg would be tight but it would fit a lot better than where I'm at now.

I would suggest finding a spot that has the seats in stock and sitting in them. Griffen Motorwerks in the Bay Area (Berkeley) had all of the seats in the Recaro lineup in their showroom.
Old 06-13-2016, 05:41 AM

I finally fitted my Recaro PP in the driver's side (which was basically a straight swap in my UK MY2005 car, which only has the seat belt sensor for the dash), but am struggling with the passenger one.

I was lucky in that one of my seats was an ABE Recaro with the larger hole:

Name:  5B78D8D2-7C6C-429C-81C3-21C77056F565_zpsc4ohu0be.jpg
Views: 985
Size:  160.5 KB

And before someone points it out, this was just a test fit and the belt now goes through the seat hole on the doorside .

Name:  2C6C989C-124C-4CBF-9AFB-999DCE4FEFF5_zpsufrl7rzw.jpg
Views: 638
Size:  104.8 KB

I then ordered another one a few months later for the passenger side and it came as a normal one (I didn't even know there was a difference until I went to fit the seats in the S2000 - they were previously in another car, which had no issues with the seatbelt location).

Name:  156A01FE-56DB-4143-B3B5-F1A213F922E8_zpsz6ihkj3h.jpg
Views: 575
Size:  112.2 KB

I have tried loads of buckles and soon realised that front ones seem to be a different size to the rears. I even thought I was being clever by taking my S2000 buckle to the breakers, where I found one that appeared to fit (from a Vauxhall Zafera rear seat), where the buckle was the perfect length and size (and the male part of the belt of the donar car fitted the S2000 buckle), but once I got it home, I discovered that that the smaller male parts clipped into the S2000 buckle with no issues, but the Honda male part is much bigger and the Zafera and BMW rear seat buckles are too small. I saw people mentioning the EP3 ones (thinking they were referring to the canvas style rears), so borrowed a friends one to try and again this was also too small (which made me realise that the front and rears are different sizes).

I want the buckle to come through the hole as per the driver's seat, so need a flexible one (either wire or canvas).

Obviously I now realise that it needs to be a FRONT buckle, but the EP3 one is both not long enough or flexible enough to go through the hole. Has anyone resolved this so it works aesthetically and safely (I don't like the angle the OP has had to go to with the OE item and an extender)? I also don't want the belt to go over the side of the seat.

FYI I have the M2 Motorsport seat mounts which position the seat belt too far forward with a normal Recaro to use an extension, so it really needs to be flexible to fit properly.

Name:  1288DBF9-CE54-4258-B6FA-B2CD120F8DB2_zpsgcwmmu0h.jpg
Views: 936
Size:  157.7 KB

I'm ideally wanting one of the wire ones around 25cm long, but all the ones I can find on eBay are for the smaller male parts (the S2000 uses a really large one compared to everyone else). At this rate I can see I am going to have to remove the whole inertia real belt so I can take the male part to the breakers and just try every car I can. However, I was hoping someone might be able to point me in the right direction before I have to do that.
Old 07-11-2017, 01:27 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Bump

No one for Mike RT4's question on the buckle's fitment?
Mike RT4, did you manage to fit it properly?
Thanks!

Quick Reply: Recaro Pole Position and BuddyClub Super Low Rails on 2006 AP2