S2000 Modifications and Parts Discussions about aftermarket products and parts including reviews, information and opinion.

Reduce/Undo Fender Flare

Old 02-27-2019, 08:11 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Reduce/Undo Fender Flare

Hey guys. Had my rear fenders rolled by a local that was recommended to me. Turns out he was a monkey that did a terrible job and now I need some advice. Btw, he actually refused to roll my fronts and told me to figure them out myself. I later heard it's because he messed up another s2k pretty bad in the front.

The passenger side actually turned out ok, however for some reason he decided that he would flare out the drivers side. So now I have two issues that my OCD won't let me ignore.

1. The drivers side and passenger side don't match. (Yes I could flare the passenger side to match, but see issue #2)
2. Because he flared it a bit, it does have some waviness to it which bothers me a lot.

Question: Could I use a fender roller in reverse to slightly reduce the flare and maybe smooth out the waviness a bit.
I have never used one so I apologize if this is an idiotic question. I completely understand that it probably won't be perfect. It's hard to tell from this particular photos I happened to have, but it is a pretty minor flare I'm just really picky.. We're probably talking about 1/16"-1/8".

Old 02-27-2019, 08:18 AM
Site Moderator

Received 345 Likes on 300 Posts

No. The fender roller really only goes one way and that is folding up and pushing out. Putting the roller on the outside straight on the paint is sure to mess up your paint. You could maybe even it out some but its going to push it out more.

I would take it to a body shop and have them look at it. More than likely they will need to do some hammer and dolly work to get it flat and then touch up the paint.
Old 02-27-2019, 08:37 AM

Originally Posted by Manga_Spawn
No. The fender roller really only goes one way and that is folding up and pushing out. Putting the roller on the outside straight on the paint is sure to mess up your paint. You could maybe even it out some but its going to push it out more.

I would take it to a body shop and have them look at it. More than likely they will need to do some hammer and dolly work to get it flat and then touch up the paint.
Could you not put tape on the paint to protect it? Although if the roller doesn’t work that way then it’s a moot point.
Old 02-27-2019, 08:46 AM
Site Moderator

Received 345 Likes on 300 Posts

You could however you have to heat up the area and with the tape on there is starts melting and can peal the paint up when you go to remove it. I think you could get the roller on the outside as most have enough adjustment to do so but my worry would be messing up the paint by heating the outside of the fender and then rolling over that. Same with tape the roller is going to be pressing the heated tape onto the paint which scares me. The wavyness like I said could be evened out with the roller normally but it may make it look more flared. The key with rolling fenders is taking your time and not trying to do to much to quickly. I don't think what you are talking about is impossible what I am saying is it has even higher risks of a negative outcome.
Old 02-27-2019, 11:46 AM

@Manga_Spawn Thats a good point. I would be concerned as well. Thanks for replying I was hoping you would chime in as I know youre the expert in this arena.
Old 02-28-2019, 08:07 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Real body shop, live with it, overfenders ... unfortunately those are pretty much your choices. At least if he'd have ****ed up your fronts, they'd be replaceable.
Old 02-28-2019, 03:05 PM

Received 42 Likes on 39 Posts

I am not sure you can compress metal together cleanly after you have stretched it. Bacon is yummy but not on fenders.
Old 03-03-2019, 10:40 AM

Thanks for the advice all. I’ll live with it for now.
Old 03-03-2019, 02:42 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm in Ottawa as well and looking to roll my fenders later down the line. Mind telling me who you went to so I can avoid going to them to do the work? If you don't feel comfortable calling them out in public do you mind sending me a PM?