S2000 Modifications and Parts Discussions about aftermarket products and parts including reviews, information and opinion.

Renegade Motorsports Short Throw Shifter Review/Thoughts

Old 02-16-2017, 08:14 AM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I have been very interested in getting a short shifter for my ap2. Like you, I had no gripes with the stock shifter at all, especially when paired with a countersunk knob. But having driven well engineered short shifters in other cars, I really enjoy that feeling. My biggest fear with getting one would be mis-shifting while playing around. I have bent valves once when I was younger in a GSR due to a money shift and have been paranoid since.

Do you feel like there is an increased chance of mis-shifting with this compared to stock? I know it is all about technique, but some short shifters can be a little trickier than others.

Btw.. SC represent! haha, if you're ever in Charleston, I'd like to feel it first hand!
The following users liked this post:
nicostatus (02-22-2017)
Old 02-16-2017, 08:43 AM

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

I went for a 10 min or so drive after installing mine and got used to the shifter pretty quickly. I don't foresee a mis-shift happening as a result of the decreased throw. After a week I completely forgot what the stock shifter felt like in comparison LOL.
nicostatus (02-22-2017)
Old 02-16-2017, 12:34 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

This looks to be a very solid product. We are interested to try it out in our personal cars as well. Great job RM
Old 02-22-2017, 11:31 AM

Received 120 Likes on 81 Posts

i was running an axialflow for a while then got tired of it, but when i saw first renegade started the preproduction run i hopped on immediately. i never did a write up but the compared to my axialflow is far superior. now its just a paper weight lol.
nicostatus (02-22-2017)
Old 02-22-2017, 07:07 PM

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by The Prophet.
I have been very interested in getting a short shifter for my ap2. Like you, I had no gripes with the stock shifter at all, especially when paired with a countersunk knob. But having driven well engineered short shifters in other cars, I really enjoy that feeling. My biggest fear with getting one would be mis-shifting while playing around. I have bent valves once when I was younger in a GSR due to a money shift and have been paranoid since.

Do you feel like there is an increased chance of mis-shifting with this compared to stock? I know it is all about technique, but some short shifters can be a little trickier than others.

Btw.. SC represent! haha, if you're ever in Charleston, I'd like to feel it first hand!
I do not feel like there is an increased chance of mis-shifting at all with this shifter. Quite the opposite, actually. It is a lovely addition to something you use everyday with this car. Now that it has "broken in" it feels even better. I will actually be in Charleston this weekend from Saturday-Monday if you would like to give it a try. I come to Charleston a decent amount. My father is the owner/operator of Al's Automotive on Redbank Rd. in Goose Creek. Follow me on Instagram @nicostatus and DM me to get in touch. I am way more active on there.
Old 03-06-2017, 09:09 AM

Received 207 Likes on 169 Posts

Nice been looking at short shifters for sometime now
Old 03-08-2017, 12:27 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by yamaha6611

Lastly, is anyone able to link me or explain the physics behind the short throw? HOW is the throw actually shorter??? im just not seeing how its possible.

-Matt
The shorter throw is usually achieved in a pretty basic way. The shift lever is just that, a lever. So they simply increase the length of the lever on the opposite side of the fulcrum from where you are actuating the lever. The fulcrum being the pivot point or the "ball" in the center of the lever. It is the same principle that any lever works off of.
International Grind (04-10-2018)
Old 03-09-2017, 08:20 PM

Received 44 Likes on 38 Posts

Is this still available to order? If so where?
Old 03-10-2017, 03:19 AM

Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by s2k4life_az
Is this still available to order? If so where?
I believe RM's website:

https://renegademotorsports.com/prod...ports-275mm-ta
Old 03-19-2017, 10:07 AM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Just ordered one too.

Quick Reply: Renegade Motorsports Short Throw Shifter Review/Thoughts