S2000 Modifications and Parts Discussions about aftermarket products and parts including reviews, information and opinion.

Replica Non-CF Mugen Hood?

Old 11-10-2012, 01:08 PM

Received 111 Likes on 71 Posts
Default Replica Non-CF Mugen Hood?

Does this exist? I love the Mugen hood, but would rather just paint it and if I'm going to paint it why bother with CF. Correct me if I'm wrong, but if I paint a carbon one it can't go back to carbon, correct?
Old 11-11-2012, 10:00 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

from what i have seen, there is only cf replica's. im kind of in the same spot as you. just waiting for a messed up or faded one for sale to buy for a good price and paint it.
Old 11-12-2012, 07:04 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by maranelloboy05
Does this exist? I love the Mugen hood, but would rather just paint it and if I'm going to paint it why bother with CF. Correct me if I'm wrong, but if I paint a carbon one it can't go back to carbon, correct?
The only *real* purpose for a CF hood is to save weight. It's only on the S2000, which already has a very light weight hood (aluminum) that CF hoods become aesthetic. If Mugen made a non-CF hood, it would be too heavy. That said, if I had a Mugen hood, I would paint it to match the rest of my car. I believe most of the official Mugen pictures show their hood painted.
Old 11-12-2012, 07:33 AM

Received 313 Likes on 166 Posts

Mugen does in fact make an FRP version of their hood. There have been a few floating around on these forums, try searching around or asking in the Mugen thread in the Gallery.

I think they were limited production or something, but the price is half of what the CF ones go for, if my memory serves me.
Old 11-12-2012, 08:17 AM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Feezy
Mugen does in fact make an FRP version of their hood. There have been a few floating around on these forums, try searching around or asking in the Mugen thread in the Gallery.

I think they were limited production or something, but the price is half of what the CF ones go for, if my memory serves me.
yea.. they do made them, and i found a seller 2 years ago, he was asking for way more than 2k.
more than a CF j's racing CF hood.. and used aswell.
Old 11-12-2012, 08:31 AM

Received 95 Likes on 64 Posts

they still make it: http://www.kingmotorsports.com/p-127...-hood-frp.aspx

I'm sure there is a FRP replica mugen hood out there somewhere...those replica companies will make anything, even if they don't list it on their website.
Old 11-12-2012, 03:58 PM

Originally Posted by Chris_Lum

I'm sure there is a FRP replica mugen hood out there somewhere...those replica companies will make anything, even if they don't list it on their website.
I saw that when I was looking at other Mugen parts, I just have a hard time justifying $1600 for a aesthetic-only hood. I was hoping I'd find a non-cf replica, but I haven't been able to find one. Oh well, maybe I'll get a CF one and see how I like it before deciding to paint it or not.
Old 11-12-2012, 09:14 PM

Received 95 Likes on 64 Posts

Originally Posted by Chris_Lum' timestamp='1352741477' post='22145530

I saw that when I was looking at other Mugen parts, I just have a hard time justifying $1600 for a aesthetic-only hood. I was hoping I'd find a non-cf replica, but I haven't been able to find one. Oh well, maybe I'll get a CF one and see how I like it before deciding to paint it or not.
if i were you i'd save my money. Besides aesthetics, vented hoods allow a quite a bit of heat to escape--very beneficial for boosted cars. however since you say you're only doing it for aesthetics, save your money! i had a seibon MG hood when i was turbo and it fit like crap. bowed up in the middle, huge gaps on the side, and none of the replica mugen hoods are even a 100% copy. The vents and the hump are shaped differently so it looks horrible and so easy to tell it's a fake. So you have poor fitment, horrible looks and the fact that it adds weight to the car--save your money! once you buy it and regret your purchase, you will take a loss trying to sell it and then wish you didn't waste your money on it in the first place.
Old 11-12-2012, 10:16 PM
Community Organizer

Received 11 Likes on 4 Posts

Fitment sucks on a replica.
Old 11-13-2012, 05:31 AM

Hmm, maybe I'll have to consider going with a real one then, that is if I definitely decide to go non-CF. Bad fitment or not, there is no way I'm dropping $4k on a real CF Mugen hood. I've been going back and forth in my mind thinking about creating a copy of this car: