S2000 Modifications and Parts Discussions about aftermarket products and parts including reviews, information and opinion.

Reupholster stock seats?

Old 02-02-2012, 02:26 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Reupholster stock seats?

Hi everyone, I was wondering if anyone has ever looked into reupholstering the stock seats. I think the stock seat design is pretty decent, but the leather is too slippery to really provide any grip, and my old-man-back needs a bit more lower back / lumbar support. I was thinking about having a shop reupholster the seat in alcantara or just some cloth material, and also asking them to put in some more lower back cushioning/support.

I know that many people just change to an aftermarket bucket seat, but those can get kind of pricey with mounts (and I feel that many of the bucket seats don't provide the best lumbar support - but I guess you can add on those seat pads). So I thought reupholstery might be a cheaper option. Wondering what your guys' thoughts are on this.

Also, if anyone has ever looked into this or has used a shop before, please give me some recommendations! I am located in downtown Los Angeles. thanks
Old 02-02-2012, 02:30 PM

Received 220 Likes on 163 Posts

Many of us have inflatable lumbar supports in the seats (the inflator is a simple blood pressure cuff bulb inflator). Others just fold a small hand towel and put it in there. Reach your hand behind what appears to be the central seat back panel. You will be pleasantly surprised that it is not attached on the sides, only the top and bottom. Also, check out Clazzio seat covers. They are cost effective, they fit incredibly well, and to most people, appear to be the OEM seat covering. They are available with suede inserts as well. I know someone with these covers (standard type) and I suspect that you will not be dissapointed. They do NOT look at all like seat covers.
Old 02-02-2012, 04:36 PM

I redone the seats in my Miata a couple years back. I bought new leather from leatherseats.com and loved the soft leather. If they have tham it was a great investment. I installed them myself using the kit they have for just a couple bucks.
Old 02-02-2012, 05:00 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 38 Likes on 30 Posts

Clazzio seat covers seem to be the way to go! Very inexpensive and look awesome.
Old 02-03-2012, 10:36 AM

Originally Posted by SheDrivesIt
Many of us have inflatable lumbar supports in the seats (the inflator is a simple blood pressure cuff bulb inflator). Others just fold a small hand towel and put it in there. Reach your hand behind what appears to be the central seat back panel. You will be pleasantly surprised that it is not attached on the sides, only the top and bottom. Also, check out Clazzio seat covers. They are cost effective, they fit incredibly well, and to most people, appear to be the OEM seat covering. They are available with suede inserts as well. I know someone with these covers (standard type) and I suspect that you will not be dissapointed. They do NOT look at all like seat covers.
thanks, I'll definitely look into the seat covers - they may be a nice non-permanent solution to my problems.

as for the lumbar supports/cushion inside the seats, how exactly did you do this? are you saying that you can easily "open up" the seat leather/cover and slip in a support into the front section? from what you describe, it seems like you would reach around from the back (through the side since it's not attached) to the front... is that right? Also, which lumbar support are you using?

thanks again for all the input everyone!
Old 02-03-2012, 01:37 PM

Received 220 Likes on 163 Posts

Look here for the location of the pocket where you can put lumbar support (towel or a bladder):
https://www.s2ki.com/forums/index.php?act=S...post&p=13559662

Several years ago, you could buy a couple of lumbar support bladders with inflators for like $35 or 40 bucks from S2kaccessories.com. The web address no longer works but maybe he changed the name or got out of the business. If google finds you nothing under inflatable lumbar, then try sending a PM to tonyBell_57
Old 02-03-2012, 01:49 PM

Originally Posted by SheDrivesIt
Look here for the location of the pocket where you can put lumbar support (towel or a bladder):
https://www.s2ki.com/forums/index.php?act=S...post&p=13559662

Several years ago, you could buy a couple of lumbar support bladders with inflators for like $35 or 40 bucks from S2kaccessories.com. The web address no longer works but maybe he changed the name or got out of the business. If google finds you nothing under inflatable lumbar, then try sending a PM to tonyBell_57
perfect - thank you!
Old 02-03-2012, 07:22 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by marsfire
Hi everyone, I was wondering if anyone has ever looked into reupholstering the stock seats.
Don't overlook the Interiors subforum.
Old 02-04-2012, 07:24 AM

How hard are they to put on and how well do they stay on?
Old 02-04-2012, 12:26 PM

Just did the towel method and it works great.