S2000 Modifications and Parts Discussions about aftermarket products and parts including reviews, information and opinion.

Review: Invidia Q300

Old 05-28-2010, 04:30 PM

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
Default Review: Invidia Q300

I've had the Q300 on my car for over two months now and thought I'd submit a write-up since a lot of people seem to be considering it. Ordered my stainless version from SpeedNStyles for a very good price. There's also a Ti version for the same price but I opted against it as I DD my car and not much yells "pull me over" like burnt tips. The first Q300s had lousy canister hangers that would sometimes slip off, but this was fixed with the Ti version. The recent stainless examples have inherited the improved hangers from the Ti so if you're buying a stainless Q300, try to get the newest one in stock. Big thank you to Chris at TeamSNS for heeding my request for a stainless with the newer hanger design. Quality of the one I received was top notch with very neat welding, as expected from Invidia.

I have a company vehicle for driving to/from work and business travel but the rest of the time, I'm in the s2k snow or shine. Since I don't really have a beater, I wanted something louder than stock but didn't want to worry about police or just being obnoxious around town. Stock exhaust has no balls and just wasn't cutting it. I think Invidia had this in mind when designing the Q300 because the volume is near freaking perfect. I love it! It has a composed rumble at idle and screams with considerably more intensity over stock at WOT. Here's a quick driveway vid for a better idea:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NcrV0I4N5ro

I had to keep moving the camera further back because it was vibrating so much. Notice it's still shaking slightly even at that distance. It's definitely a little bassy in the lower revs and has noticeable resonance, but nothing that bothers me. It's so nice to finally hear some sound from this car. The tone is distinct and not at all ricey or cheap sounding. The bassiness really only occurs during deceleration in gear at 4k and below. It's immediately gone with a prod of the throttle. I've never heard in person something like an N1, Skunk2, or any other system that is notorious for its drone, but as far as I can tell the Q300 has none of it! No problems talking to a passenger cruising around 3 or 4k in sixth. This is a very livable system that's marginally louder than stock when cruising but will roar when you get on it. VTEC crossover is candy for the ears. I've heard some say that the Q300 is how the s2k should have sounded from the factory. As much as this is said to be one of the quieter aftermarket catbacks along with the Fujitsubo, I don't think it's for everyone. I've had less experienced casual passengers mention how loud they think it is, especially top-up. Not unpleasant, just.. loud. No complaints from me though. No doubt it has gained more volume after breaking in a little. I think it's still getting louder to be honest.

Regarding power difference, there's not a lot to be gained from just a dual exhaust on an NA I4, especially if you're on the stock cat/header as I am. The Q300 is 70mm though and I've felt it's easier to get the car off the line. Doesn't take as much throttle now to get rolling from a stoplight. Butt dyno doesn't detect any power gains elsewhere.

My only complaint with this exhaust, at least with the example I have, is fitment. I expected a lot better. Not only does the driver side canister hang lower, but the passenger side tip sticks out 0.5" further than the driver side. I've tried to adjust it myself by messing with the hangers and whatnot but wasn't able to make a difference. Planning on taking it to a shop to see if they have more luck in correcting it. I do love the 101mm round tips though. While the oval ones are very classy and flow nicely with the bumper, these look much sportier.

If the fitment were better, I'd say this exhaust was astounding considering how fairly priced it can be had. However, it's still a quality system with perfect volume for a DDer or just someone who wants a more aggressive sound without the dirty looks from neighbors and police. The car is more fun and I'm very happy with my choice. Gets two from me.

Thanks for reading. Any questions, feel free!
Old 05-28-2010, 04:58 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Solid review
Old 05-28-2010, 05:01 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

q300 ftw!
Old 05-28-2010, 05:45 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Sounds and looks very nice.
Good Write up
Old 05-28-2010, 05:48 PM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

it sounds nice.
Old 05-28-2010, 06:19 PM

i've been considering this exhaust and i think i'm pretty much sold after this review thanks for the write up.
Old 05-28-2010, 07:30 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Definitely sold on it with this review..going to try and get one soon
Old 05-28-2010, 09:53 PM

great review! I love mine! I had my oem ap2 tips welded on though
Old 05-28-2010, 11:17 PM
Banned

Thanks for the kind words man and nice review!!!

Glad to hear you're happy with the exhaust!!!
Old 06-01-2010, 01:29 AM

great write up :] this is now the top contender for my exhaust choice

Quick Reply: Review: Invidia Q300