S2000 Modifications and Parts Discussions about aftermarket products and parts including reviews, information and opinion.

RSG Mugen Rep Hardtop Fitment Review

Old 10-29-2017, 01:04 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RSG Mugen Rep Hardtop Fitment Review

Whats up guys. I want to discuss specifically the fitment of this hardtop that I had purchased second hand. Pictures available in my Introduction thread

The side seals that came with the hardtop were decent. However the front seals were leaking at speeds over 75 mph. The easy fix was a set of Rubber Weather seals (size 5/16" wide 1/4" thick and 17' long; you wont use all 17 feet, but that was the shortest length they had) from Home Depot.

The side brackets were also vibrating at various speeds. The solution was a set of rubber washers between the hardtop and the bracket. About $5 from Amazon for 100 of them.

The last issue is with the Passenger side of the hardtop rubbing against my quarter panel. I bought new rear seals from forbidden, yet the hardtop still rubs on that side. Please refer to pics below.

Here are pics of the driver side. Fitment near perfect.

I have several options:

1.) New rear seals (already did it, but maybe the one I got was bad?)
2.) Widen the bottom 2 m8 bolt holes on the hardtop side brackets, so that the passenger side of the top can sit slightly higher.This way I would not have to push the top down as much when tightening it)
3.) Shave the bottom portion of the top so that the top no longer rubs against the body. No bracket modification. Has anyone done this before? Since hardtop is made of fiberglass, it should be sand-able?

I plan on repainting the top. So peeling the wrap and sanding the top would not be an issue.

What do you guys think?
Old 11-05-2017, 06:29 PM

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

Interesting. I had been told these fit just as well as the real deal Holyfield. I would shave that corner before it scrapes the paint off your car.
Old 11-05-2017, 07:49 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

People can say whatever they want but the truth is, everyone has a different standard. I have came across too many occasions with car parts which people said they fit like OEM...but my experience is they didn't. I always go for the authentic parts...

As far as shaving, that would be quite difficult since it's fiberglass?! Not sure...
Old 11-06-2017, 10:36 AM

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts

Are you unable to lift the passenger side a bit before fully bolting it down?
I had similar issues with my RSG hardtop but after messing with it some it fits PERFECT. From the looks of it, that passenger side is way to low, what hardware are you using?
Old 11-08-2017, 12:49 PM

Received 46 Likes on 40 Posts

The fiberglass looks like hell right there anyway, smooth that passenger section out and refresh with new seals, maybe a seal with a little more thickness so you don't have to push down so far to seal it. Those tips should be worked over by a body shop anyway to get the best finish. My body shop is charging me about $1,000 to glaze, block, fit and paint my Shine mooncraft rep top.
Old 11-10-2017, 06:27 AM

i got a forbidden oem hardtop and my problem is the same as yours except its in the driver side... people was saying the forbidden was better than rsg but in the end no matter what brand it is, it wont be perfect as oem.. i had to trim my hard top to make it perfect
Old 11-22-2017, 07:03 PM

Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts

I had a review of mine on RSG here:

Honestly, couldn't be happier. the customer service received was a bonus as well.
Old 12-08-2017, 05:21 PM

Thank you for all the replies. I haven't had a chance to check this thread in quite some time.

Originally Posted by Ap2low
Are you unable to lift the passenger side a bit before fully bolting it down?
I had similar issues with my RSG hardtop but after messing with it some it fits PERFECT. From the looks of it, that passenger side is way to low, what hardware are you using?
I can't lift the passenger side anymore. The holes on the hardtop bracket will not align with the car unless I push it down that far.
I bought the top second hand and didn't ask what brand, but they look like Izzy brackets.

PO broke a head off a bolt on the top so there's only two holding it

Originally Posted by gerikivan
i got a forbidden oem hardtop and my problem is the same as yours except its in the driver side... people was saying the forbidden was better than rsg but in the end no matter what brand it is, it wont be perfect as oem.. i had to trim my hard top to make it perfect
Any before and after pics?
What tools did you use? I was thinking of a using a belt sander.
Old 12-08-2017, 06:13 PM

Received 3,361 Likes on 2,444 Posts

When a company builds a HT which has that many obvious cosmetic issues you can't expect them to have put much time into fitment quality control. Adding OEM seals and latches would make a big difference but they probably cost more than that hardtop in total. Any hardtop requires some adjustment to make it quiet and weatherproof even the OEM HT's, but this one looks like it needs some serious attention.
Old 12-09-2017, 07:48 AM

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Are you sure that's a RSG hardtop? No offense but yours looks really bad. I would have sent that shit back to them.
I got mine from them 2 years ago from RSG and aside from a couple of tiny pin holes that needed to be filled before paint, it was no where in that bad of shape as yours is.

Quick Reply: RSG Mugen Rep Hardtop Fitment Review