S2000 Modifications and Parts Discussions about aftermarket products and parts including reviews, information and opinion.

S2000 aftermarket exhaust suggestions

Old 03-26-2017, 10:48 AM

Received 1,131 Likes on 994 Posts

drones a lot at 3500-4000
That's right in my driving range and the reason I got rid of the Invidia Q300 after a week.

"Test pipes" (wink, nudge) are probably illegal everywhere even where there are no tests. They're certain to be labeled "off road use only." Exhaust stinks too. CEL lights need work-arounds.

Just got my '06 out of the garage for the first time in 5 months. Put about 35 miles on her with no issues. Still completely satisfied with the Berk high flow cat and Tanabe Medalion Touring exhaust I put on a couple of years ago. Had to hammer it under a couple big bridges, of course. Sounds great there as well in normal driving. No one in the neighborhoods turned around to see what the obnoxious noise was.

-- Chuck
Old 03-28-2017, 09:45 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Currently running a stock exhaust with the UK mod done. Love the sound! Used to have an HKS dual which sounded great as well.
Getting the itch for another aftermarket exhaust soon. Stuck between the HKS single, T1R 70R-EM, and the new Cleib 70mm. Quite a difference in pricing but I just cant decide!
Old 04-01-2017, 03:33 AM

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Chuck S
Bad guess.

The Invidia exhausts, including the Q300, are popular because they're comparatively inexpensive and dirt simple to install. There ends anything positive to say about them.

Hear any potential exhaust on the car before you buy.

A buddy and I both bought Q300 exhausts based on reports here they're "not that loud" etc, and without the ability to hear them on our cars, Neither lasted more than a couple of weeks before we ripped them out and replaced them with decent systems. Our wives are happier. Our neighbors are happier. We no longer need to wear ear plugs when driving. We're both out of high school...

We frankly had no problems selling these 2-week old exhausts at a loss, of course. If you're intent on this self-flagellation find one someone is dumping.

The Q300 registered in excess of 105dBA on a certified OSHA meter on my car. The N1 is louder. If your employer subjected you to this noise level you'd be required to wear double hearing protection. This is measured near the exhaust tips but is only slightly less noisy in the seats

Scan any messages on exhausts and it'll be no surprise we both have Tanabe Medalion Touring exhausts behind Berk high-flow cats on our cars now. Noise level is under 94dBA. Our wives are happier. Our neighbors are happier. We no longer need to wear ear plugs when driving. Or did I say that?

-- Chuck
As a bumper sticker i once saw said.."If its too loud you are too old"

I just bought my third s2000 (currently already have one with Q300 on it) and will also buy Q300 for it as couldnt be happier with it, each to their own...
Old 04-01-2017, 04:08 AM

Received 1,131 Likes on 994 Posts

As a bumper sticker i once saw said.."If its too loud you are too old"
Agreed. There are real generational tolerance differences! As we age, however, our hearing normally degrades so we can't hear as well. Didn't protect me from the Q300. You're happy. I'm happy. Advice remains to hear the exhaust on the car not in a sound clip. The longer time with the candidate exhaust the better.

Most aftermarket exhausts are multi-piece (probably for shipping convenience) so it took me roughly a half hour to swap one aftermarket exhaust for the other with hand tools. There are usually Q300s for sale here. If considering a used Q300 note it will all fit in the trunk of the S2000. Use a couple old blankets to pad it.

-- Chuck
Old 04-01-2017, 04:48 AM

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Chuck S
Agreed. There are real generational tolerance differences! As we age, however, our hearing normally degrades so we can't hear as well. Didn't protect me from the Q300. You're happy. I'm happy. Advice remains to hear the exhaust on the car not in a sound clip. The longer time with the candidate exhaust the better.

Most aftermarket exhausts are multi-piece (probably for shipping convenience) so it took me roughly a half hour to swap one aftermarket exhaust for the other with hand tools. There are usually Q300s for sale here. If considering a used Q300 note it will all fit in the trunk of the S2000. Use a couple old blankets to pad it.

-- Chuck
Yes, i agree sound clips are mostly useless...

And q300 did get bit quiter after 500 or so miles (not much about 5-10% i'd say but i did notice it being more "bearable"

Also i have seen someone who modded their Q300 with different center muffler which got rid of the drone. Maybe something worth considering too...
Old 04-01-2017, 06:50 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by miloking
Yes, i agree sound clips are mostly useless...

And q300 did get bit quiter after 500 or so miles (not much about 5-10% i'd say but i did notice it being more "bearable"

Also i have seen someone who modded their Q300 with different center muffler which got rid of the drone. Maybe something worth considering too...
I think what you are referring to is putting the large 3" Vibrant resonator in place of the Invidia "bottle" resonator on the Q300. I did the same thing when I had this exhaust and a HFC. It tamed the sound significantly, in a good way, during regular driving. It made no difference once you hit vtec which is what ultimately led me to find a different exhaust.
Old 04-10-2017, 01:03 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

What do you guys think about the Race GT Spec exhaust on ebay aside from the price? Thanks
Old 04-13-2017, 04:30 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yep, I wish I would have read this thread before I purchased my Q300. I left the stock cat on the car hoping that the sound would not be obnoxiously loud. I finished the install yesterday and heard it for the first time. It is A LOT louder than I expected. Like many, I purchased it because I had heard that it was not too much louder than stock; well, it is significantly louder than stock. I'm going to try to give it a few months to see how I like it, but I have a feeling I am going to end up putting the factory exhaust back on the car and look into the UK mod. After having completed one short drive my impression thus far is as follows: (1) Most of the sound in the cabin hits at lower RPMs where there is a notable rumble that, in my opinion, sounds a little too much like having a sub in the trunk; (2) The character of the exhaust note became less annoying the higher I got in the rev range. (3) When cruising and RPMs are steady I did not notice much drone and I would almost describe the exhaust as quiet, however, as soon as you throttle up even slightly the sound comes on strong. My wife was with me for the first drive and we had to shout to hear each other anytime I was on the throttle. While I like how deep the exhaust sounds lower in the rev range, I think it might be just a bit too loud for me. Anyone in the Metro Detroit area have a Tanabe Medalion or dual HKS? I've love to hear one.