S2000 Modifications and Parts Discussions about aftermarket products and parts including reviews, information and opinion.

S2000 CR 3d-printed stealth back-up camera!

Old 11-18-2018, 03:24 PM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Just tried to use Flashprint but it's also showing up pretty tiny...If you wouldn't mind giving me the dimensions you have on file I could scale up to match by percentage. Thanks!
Old 11-18-2018, 07:58 PM

Received 250 Likes on 147 Posts

Originally Posted by jimmyfu
Just tried to use Flashprint but it's also showing up pretty tiny...If you wouldn't mind giving me the dimensions you have on file I could scale up to match by percentage. Thanks!
Usually it's a unit error. Multiply by 2540% to convert mm to inch.

​​​
The following users liked this post:
jimmyfu (11-19-2018)
Old 11-21-2018, 07:41 PM

So I printed the mounts and have the same camera from the link... can you share some details on how you did the wiring? The camera has a yellow plug and a red plug, it looks like the yellow plug is for video but it also has a red wire - I'm guessing this gets tapped into the reverse light? The red plug looks to connect only to power and ground.
Old 11-21-2018, 09:22 PM

Received 30 Likes on 13 Posts

So I printed the mounts and have the same camera from the link... can you share some details on how you did the wiring? The camera has a yellow plug and a red plug, it looks like the yellow plug is for video but it also has a red wire - I'm guessing this gets tapped into the reverse light? The red plug looks to connect only to power and ground.
Hey Jimmy... awesome that you printed it. Can't wait to see your build.

-The red wire attached to the yellow video cable is a signal wire to the monitor (or rearview in my case) if you don't plan on tapping the reverse wire under the kick panel. So yeah you could tap into your reverse light in theory, but the reverse light is not on the deck lid so you'd end up routing more wire. The reverse signal wire is super easy to get to anyway. I snipped the red wire off the yellow rca plug.

-The red plug is just power. I wired both my mirror and camera into a single 1/4" female spade that plugs into the fusebox.

Are you planning on using a mirror, or a headunit or monitor? There are setups where you can power the camera from your headunit, etc... so it kinda depends really.

PS, its raining here in norcal but if it's clear on Sunday I'll take my s2000 out of storage and snap pics of the wiring etc.... i've been procrastinating for months.

Last edited by k3v0n; 11-21-2018 at 09:29 PM.
Old 11-21-2018, 10:06 PM

I ended up buying this mirror as all the Gentex mirrors were over 200:
Amazon Amazon

I only thought of tapping the reverse light as that's what I did on another car, but if you could specify which harness under the kick panel is for the reverse signal I could do that. I believe my mirror can also do rear recording, which honestly is just a nice to have imo, as it wouldn't really record well at night (due to all the headlights taking focus).

Whereabouts in NorCal are you? I'm in the Pleasanton area myself!
Old 11-25-2018, 09:16 AM

Received 38 Likes on 32 Posts

I also have a backup camera but didn't want to mess around with the rear view mirror so I'm using a single DIN head unit that can take camera input. This Kenwood is discontinued but the JVC AV41-BT has the same functionality.
The following users liked this post:
lab_rat (09-11-2019)
Old 11-26-2018, 08:15 PM

Received 29 Likes on 29 Posts

I would be interested in buying the 3-D printed parts, as I i don't have a 3-d printer, nor do I know anyone with one locally. I think that mounting the camera in the keyhole is great, as long as my remote continues to work and I don't have to use a key. I'd like to look into the transmitter in the trunk and using my iPhone as the receiver, if I can figure out how to have the transmission kick on the screen with the reverse gear signal. Is my imagined system possible?
Old 11-27-2018, 06:30 AM

Received 1,128 Likes on 991 Posts

Will be interesting to see how this mount holds up to road vibration and UV sunlight. Assuming both parts need to be scaled to 2540% it would be a quick print on a hobby printer. (Before scaling one STL model is microscopic and the other almost the side of the print bed.) Never priced any commercial 3D printing but these shouldn't take more than an hour to print. Find a student with a printer and they'll probably do it for a six-pack. Note the original is in ABS plastic. More common PLA doesn't do well in the sun from my (limited) experience.

-- Chuck
Old 11-27-2018, 09:57 PM

Originally Posted by AZS2KDancer
I would be interested in buying the 3-D printed parts, as I i don't have a 3-d printer, nor do I know anyone with one locally. I think that mounting the camera in the keyhole is great, as long as my remote continues to work and I don't have to use a key. I'd like to look into the transmitter in the trunk and using my iPhone as the receiver, if I can figure out how to have the transmission kick on the screen with the reverse gear signal. Is my imagined system possible?
I don't mind printing a set for you. Hell, I think the shipping to AZ would cost more than the plastic I use. Your "imagined" system is definitely possible:

Amazon Amazon

Hell, I think the camera is even the same. The only thing I'm not sure that's included with the camera is a different screw on top for the trunk (the trunk screw top thingy has flanges and lets you remove the bar where it would have you mount onto the bumper)

As for material, instead of ABS I use PETG. Less toxic when printing, less shrinkage, and I think generally should hold up pretty well compared to ABS - definitely better than PLA. But I drive my S only when the weather is nice...
Old 11-29-2018, 10:15 PM

Received 30 Likes on 13 Posts

I ended up buying this mirror as all the Gentex mirrors were over 200: https://www.amazon.com/PRUVEEO-D700-...s=pruveeo+d700

I only thought of tapping the reverse light as that's what I did on another car, but if you could specify which harness under the kick panel is for the reverse signal I could do that. I believe my mirror can also do rear recording, which honestly is just a nice to have imo, as it wouldn't really record well at night (due to all the headlights taking focus).

Whereabouts in NorCal are you? I'm in the Pleasanton area myself!
I didn't get around to getting the photos but should have time this weekend (I absolutely avoid any hint of wet weather because of the nightmare of water spots on shiny black paint!!). I'm in the south bay but frequent the east bay all the time. I'd be happy to help you with your install if you need it.