S2000 Modifications and Parts Discussions about aftermarket products and parts including reviews, information and opinion.

The S2000 is a Great Car to Wrench On

Old 06-04-2018, 05:34 AM
IB Staff

Received 54 Likes on 50 Posts
Default The S2000 is a Great Car to Wrench On

The S2000 is a Great Car to Wrench On
By Joseph Coelho

Few cars are easier to work on than the Honda S2000 as virtually all maintenance and repair work can be completed from the comfort of your garage.
Old 06-04-2018, 03:02 PM

Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts

re parts availability it's a shame that Honda ceased availability of the car's core - the engine/block. With the F20c unique to the vehicle and frm liners being very thin it becomes problematic when an engine needs attention. Sure they can be sleeved but oem has its place. Given time I think this will jack up the prices of f20c's further and increase demand for aftermarket workarounds such as K20 swap kits.
Old 06-09-2018, 12:38 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by clio
re parts availability it's a shame that Honda ceased availability of the car's core - the engine/block. With the F20c unique to the vehicle and frm liners being very thin it becomes problematic when an engine needs attention. Sure they can be sleeved but oem has its place. Given time I think this will jack up the prices of f20c's further and increase demand for aftermarket workarounds such as K20 swap kits.
It's a total shame that they haven't decided to allow all the S2000 parts to be available for special order. I'm under the impression that they made a bunch of parts in bulk and once they ran out that was it.. they weren't interested in pulling out any jigs and making one off parts unless it was a shared part between another model.

What's interesting is why they don't allow any OEM's to take on the task of producing these parts if Honda doesn't want to do it themselves anymore. Another thought is that these replacement parts are big business for them.. making one engine block here and there must be prohibitly expensive I guess.
Old 06-09-2018, 05:14 PM

Received 1,315 Likes on 993 Posts

Honda, like mosy auto manufacturers, don't make many of the parts themselves. They spec the parts. Then have vendors build the parts (sometimes more than one supplier), and they assemble the parts into a car.

These vendors typically have license agreements that prevent them from selling the parts direct to consumers. Once the manufacturer stops wanting to inventory the parts and sell them, the vendors are typically free to sell direct. We are nearing that crossover I think.
Old 06-12-2018, 03:36 PM

Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by Car Analogy
Honda, like mosy auto manufacturers, don't make many of the parts themselves. They spec the parts. Then have vendors build the parts (sometimes more than one supplier), and they assemble the parts into a car.
These vendors typically have license agreements that prevent them from selling the parts direct to consumers. Once the manufacturer stops wanting to inventory the parts and sell them, the vendors are typically free to sell direct. We are nearing that crossover I think.
Most components are outsourced by manufacturers however I believe Honda uses its own foundry [url=http://www.hondakinzoku.co.jp/] for major cast engine components. As they have ceased production of engine blocks it seems they have no reason to start again.
Having said that Mazda restarted production of NA MX5 parts after many years of being discontinued. But I guess the number of those vehicles on the road is significantly higher than S2K's.