S2000 Modifications and Parts Discussions about aftermarket products and parts including reviews, information and opinion.

Seat suggestion

Old 03-20-2019, 03:13 PM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Seat suggestion

I'm about 6'3, somewhere around 225 but not disproportionately wide, looking to lower the seat with options available in 2019. Willing to spend decent money to get what I want. Car is never autocrossed or tracked and is sometimes a daily driver and occasionally driven for hundreds of miles in one day.

Need to be able to move the seat - girlfriend is around 5'4 and does drive it occasionally so a permanent bucket/rails won't work.

Have read a stooopid amount of threads on this. Seems like there are two options

1. Backyard Special is the only option to keep the stock seat (also strongly prefer to do that, I love the stock seats). But 20mm won't let me see the tach...

2. Other option seems to be the Recaro Pole Position with a PCI slider mount. I kind of hate the way these seats look in pictures. Hopefully they look better in person.

Am I missing any other good options?
Old 03-20-2019, 05:26 PM

Received 1,310 Likes on 990 Posts

What I'm planning:

Backyard Special seat rails (already have them installed)
Will modify seat bottom and rail to lower further

Rail, I will modify by removing the two rear lower brackets, and rewelding them to a lower position.

The seat pan will require mods to make that work. I will remove a section from the bottom of the pan. Then cut out the same amount of foam from the bottom.

I can lower front of pan by adding a new nut higher along the pan metal base.

By removing material from the bottom, rather than the top pan foam, the fit of the leather cover will remain unchanged.

This will dramatically increase gap between pan and seatback, but its something I'm willing to live with.

I was very pleasantly surprised how much of a difference just the bys rail makes.
Old 03-21-2019, 04:34 AM

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

I'm a 6'3" big dude and I have no problems with this car. I have no idea what ya'll need a new seat for.
Old 03-21-2019, 07:47 AM

We aren't all proportioned the same. I am only 6', yet sitting down I'm probably several inches taller than you.

With the stock seat height, my eye level is even with the tops of the door windows. I look down to see out of the rearview mirror. I can't see the top of the tach at all.

Saying you are 6', X" is almost meaningless.
Old 03-21-2019, 07:52 AM
Site Moderator

Received 2,587 Likes on 1,903 Posts

I ran the BYS rail for quite a few years on mine, the repositioning of the lower cushion changes where the lumbar in the seat back hits your back, you may or may not be affected by it, but I was. It's the easiest way to lower the seat for sure, but I wish it also lowered the seat back as well, as in lowered the whole seat. I would try to find someone local that has one (if possible) to let you try it first.

I switched to Pole Positions a few years ago and couldn't be happier. Mine are on the Buddy Club rails.
Old 03-21-2019, 08:05 AM

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by Car Analogy
Saying you are 6', X" is almost meaningless.
I apologize. I had no idea you were proportioned like a lamp post. You have my condolences.
Old 03-21-2019, 12:02 PM

Originally Posted by VashTheStampede
I'm a 6'3" big dude and I have no problems with this car. I have no idea what ya'll need a new seat for.

My two big issues with the car:

I can't see most the tachometer. And I can't see stoplights. I just drive without using the tach but it'd be nice to be able to see the instrument cluster and not just the top of the steering wheel. Can you see the entire tach when sitting in a normal driving position?

Are you able to see stoplights when the roof is up? When at the line for a stop, I can't see them at all without hunching forward. To be fair, I can't in most cars, but the S is considerably worse.

As far as size - I have around a 31-33" inseam (depending on brand) according to my clothes... long torso. Like the other poster said, we're probably taller than you when sitting down My guess is either a lot of your height is in your legs or it doesn't bug you as much to have limited visibility of the tach/stoplights.

Old 03-21-2019, 01:11 PM

Received 49 Likes on 44 Posts

Its weird how so many of us are around the same height but have different seating issues with this car. I'm 6'3" myself but I have a longer torso but not super long legs. This means I can scoot the seat forward a tad then recline the seat giving me full view of the tac even though my view is roughly the top 1/3 of the windshield.

That being said I recommend the Pole Positions. My friend has it in his S2k and not only do you sit lower for better view of the tachometer, but also it gives us tall guys a bit more leg room. It really doesnt look that bad, however getting in and out is kind of a pain.
Old 03-21-2019, 04:10 PM

As for lumbar repositioning, if you really need the lower pan, then you have a long torso. If you have a long torso, chances are the stock lumbar is already too low. So the repositioning is probably a benefit.
Old 03-21-2019, 05:12 PM

How are the pole positions for long distance riding (3+ hours, per trip, twice in one day)

Quick Reply: Seat suggestion