S2000 Modifications and Parts Discussions about aftermarket products and parts including reviews, information and opinion.

Shocks Blown: It's Suspension Time!

Old 09-17-2018, 08:26 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Shocks Blown: It's Suspension Time!

I love modifying my cars, but my favorite thing is when I have a legitimate reason to do so. My 2004 (completely stock) has had it's time with the rear shocks and ready to move on. Odd since it only has 52K miles... I bought it with 48K so who knows what the prior owner(s) were doing. Had this car for 2.5 years with plans to modify it since it didn't start out perfect.

Background: I've owned my 2008 for 7 years and it is also completely stock. Autocrossed a dozen times, have gotten significantly better times than some highly modded S2Ks. I am a believer of the stock suspension in terms of performance for my skill level. This one will stay stock.

Now for the '04:
Budget: up to $2000.
Task: Daily driving duties but plan to track/autoX it a few times a year

I had my eyes set on Ohlins DFV but I have realized I do not have a PhD in engineering, therefore I don't think I can dial in my suspension better than the guys at Honda R&D. I suppose I can pay someone to corner balance/tune it. Also, if I don't 'need' to spend this much money I wouldn't mind saving a bit.

I would really like this one to be lower than stock purely for aesthetics... not necessarily hellaflush but would like to close the wheel gap. Staying on stock wheels and possibly getting spacers. Do not plan on rolling fenders/relocating tabs.

Options I've looked into: Ohlins, KW, H&R coilovers, OEM CR/Swift-SpecR, Tein Z Flex

Any input would be appreciated
Old 09-17-2018, 09:37 AM
Site Moderator

Received 345 Likes on 300 Posts

Go for Ohlins. I absolutely love mine and wish I had just waited and did them from the start. I would have saved money. No matter which suspension you go with you'll need an alignment and it is a good idea to have them check the corner balance to make sure its not way off after the coilover install.
Old 09-17-2018, 11:42 AM

Received 50 Likes on 44 Posts

Sounds like you really don't want to touch them after you install them, my vote would be OEM CR/Swift-SpecR.
Old 09-17-2018, 12:14 PM
nvK

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by spaded.racer
Sounds like you really don't want to touch them after you install them, my vote would be OEM CR/Swift-SpecR.
Old 09-17-2018, 01:14 PM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

+1 on CR/Swift combo. I don’t track my car but they feel really good on the streets. Very OEM-like ride.

Old 09-17-2018, 03:26 PM
Community Organizer

Received 76 Likes on 60 Posts

My vote goes to the Ohlins as well. You track/autox so I think you will benefit from them and they are actually really easy to adjust. KW's are more complicated because they are double adjustable. If you want it softer on the street, no problem, a twist of the knob and you can adjust them.
Old 09-17-2018, 04:40 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Damn 808 your car is sitting perfect. Now I want to do that to my '08 Chicane Silver, on AP2V3 (duh) and OEM lip like yours.

Thanks for bringing it down to CR/SpecR vs Ohlins. Where do you source the OEM CR struts?
Old 09-17-2018, 04:50 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Cr shocks and swift spec-r. I got my the shocks from hardtop guy. Make sure you ask for the wait time before purchasing.

Last edited by LDfavoriteson; 09-17-2018 at 05:38 PM.
Old 09-17-2018, 04:57 PM
Site Moderator

Received 345 Likes on 300 Posts

Majestic honda. Here are the part numbers.

Front R 51611-S2A-S21
Front L 51612-S2A-S21
Rear R 52611-S2A-S21
Rear L 52612-S2A-S21

Just the OEM struts come to $921 and the swifts are $314 (neither of the prices include shipping either). Chances are you'll want to buy a few other new pieces (bumpstops, other little bushings and random bits sort of depends on what can be used from your current OEM suspension). I can easily see the CR/swift combo coming close to the cost of the ohlins assuming you are buying everything new. If you could find some low mile CR suspension off another car it is more cost effective but buying everything new isn't that far off. Sadly it looks like the complete strut assembly is discontinued from Honda.
Old 09-17-2018, 08:28 PM

Received 1,310 Likes on 990 Posts

The only problem with the CR suspension is it can't be rebuilt. So when it wears out, its trash. Damage one of them, they're trash, since soon you won't be able to buy a new one.

On your list, the H&R coilovers seem to meet most of your needs.

Non adjustable (only ride height is adjustable, via the preload. Damping is fixed.)

Spring rates ideal for street, occasional track

Rebuildable

Lifetime warranty

Budget friendly ~$1200

Rear external reservoir, provides lots of rear travel, so if you lower it an inch or more, you won't be riding on bump stops.

All that said, if your budget allows, the Ohlins DFV are tough to beat. They're single adjustable. So not something you have to invest a lot of time into learning. Turn this way stiffer, that way softer.

Quick Reply: Shocks Blown: It's Suspension Time!