S2000 Modifications and Parts Discussions about aftermarket products and parts including reviews, information and opinion.

Simple Catch Can Configuration

Old 12-10-2015, 07:57 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Simple Catch Can Configuration

During the last track session one of the guys behind me came up after the session and asked me if I had mechanical problems.... I guess I'm getting faster and I'm puffing blue smoke in turn 7 @ Road Atlanta.

So, after reading a ton of threads around catch cans, and seeing pictures of all possible combinations of hoses and cans (even some that make no sense...) I decided to go the simplest route and follow robrob's advice.

1) Cap off PCV valve, manifold and intake port:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...=AYSI9CNL93O4X
Probably secured with zipties?

2) Bring the hose from the front breather hole and connect it to a catch can that vents to atmosphere:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...=A3GBTFY35FDAQ
This is the cheapest can I found that includes a filter which I assume I can use on the second inlet port, since I'm not recirculating the gasses.

Can someone confirm that the links above will work for what I'm trying to do? The car is NA, 90% used at the track.

Thanks!
Old 12-10-2015, 08:01 AM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I would check out the racing and competition forum, there is a sticky there with a DIY to drill your valve cover baffle and it should eliminate alot of your issue, Otherwise you'll just be dumping your catch can frequently and throwing away alot of oil.
Old 12-10-2015, 08:07 AM

Originally Posted by AE_Racer
I would check out the racing and competition forum, there is a sticky there with a DIY to drill your valve cover baffle and it should eliminate alot of your issue, Otherwise you'll just be dumping your catch can frequently and throwing away alot of oil.
Thanks yeah I read about that, but I think on an AP2 it doesn't happen as often, and most of the oil gets sucked from the pcv when open, since it is connected to the manifold. By blocking the PCV there is no sucking, and only very little oil should ever come out of the other hose. I just wanted to try this out before starting to drill stuff..
Old 12-10-2015, 09:33 AM

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

I'm assuming by your statement you have an AP2.

I did the method where I added a catch in between the valve cover and intake manifold. Yes I'm dumping some oil after a track day but I think I read somewhere that the valve cover needs venting so I opted not to just plug it.
Old 12-10-2015, 09:38 AM

Originally Posted by d1000rr
I'm assuming by your statement you have an AP2.

I did the method where I added a catch in between the valve cover and intake manifold. Yes I'm dumping some oil after a track day but I think I read somewhere that the valve cover needs venting so I opted not to just plug it.
Yup but there are 2 vents, one is the PCV valve and the other is an open "hole", I'm leaving the open "hole" for venting, and dumping any liquids coming out of it in the catch can...or at least that's how I understand things should work.
Old 12-11-2015, 11:33 AM

Received 53 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by Pimpo
Thanks yeah I read about that, but I think on an AP2 it doesn't happen as often, and most of the oil gets sucked from the pcv when open, since it is connected to the manifold. By blocking the PCV there is no sucking, and only very little oil should ever come out of the other hose. I just wanted to try this out before starting to drill stuff..
There are lots of factors that will determine how much oil you will catch. I can tell you that myself and multiple other AP2 owners have managed to fill up our catch cans in a single session. Give your method a shot. If you fill up the catch can, then get to drilling the baffle.
Old 12-11-2015, 12:26 PM

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

by "open hole" are you talking about the crankcase opening that vents into the intake arm?

Cause some people put catch cans on both the crankcase and pcv.
Old 12-12-2015, 07:30 AM

Originally Posted by d1000rr
by "open hole" are you talking about the crankcase opening that vents into the intake arm?

Cause some people put catch cans on both the crankcase and pcv.
Correct, from my understanding they both relieve pressure for the same area, but one is "active" (pcv) while the other is passive (front breather)