S2000 Modifications and Parts Discussions about aftermarket products and parts including reviews, information and opinion.

Single exit exhaust with zero drone

Old 12-27-2017, 10:15 AM

Received 73 Likes on 64 Posts
Default Single exit exhaust with zero drone

What are my options here? If you own or know one, please chime in.
To be clear, with drone I am referring to the very deep, bassy sound that becomes extremely loud between 3k and 5k rpm when accelerating/decelerating. Sounds like a pair of subwoofers strapped to your head.

Exhausts I bought already:
Apexi N1: droned like a mofo
Cleib: (with testpipe) droned still really really bad

Research so far:
Invidia, HKS, J's, Spoon, Megan Racing, Berk, Buddy Club: a lot of people say it drones
ASM, Amuse, Toda: out of price range
Greddy SE single: discontinued
EVS Tuning 70-SSP: (almost) no drone according to a lot of people, but then there is a couple of guys saying it does drone. opinions?
T1R 70R-EM: same as above, majority says it doesn't, but some say it does?

Unkown, any info on these would be appreciated:
5zigen Pro Racer
Fujitsubo Power Getter
Old 12-27-2017, 11:04 AM

Received 1,239 Likes on 940 Posts

LOLLOLOL @ people who say the T1R 70EM doesn't drone.

It doesn't drone only on 100% flat roads at a 100% constant cruise at certain RPM's/speeds. And that's probably just due to your ears being in so much shock from the normal amount of noise it makes that anything lower than 600dB seems like "no drone".

I mean...I love mine and all. But...she be dronin.
Old 12-27-2017, 11:05 AM

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

I have the evs and it's probably the quietest single out there. Mild drone which is only really bothersome at 57-65mph. Could probably be tuned out by adding a helmholtz resonator like the stock exhaust has. In my ap2 the resonance was the most prominent at 117hz so tuning the resonator for that frequency would probably kill a lot of the drone. I drove around with a high quality microphone and analysed what I recorded to come up with that frequency. Might be different if you change headers, cat or make it an f20 instead.

Also note the evs doesn't fit on the ap2 the best. Its impossible to get the tip to sit in the center of the bumper cutout.
Old 12-27-2017, 12:11 PM

Received 33 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by B serious
LOLLOLOL @ people who say the T1R 70EM doesn't drone.

It doesn't drone only on 100% flat roads at a 100% constant cruise at certain RPM's/speeds. And that's probably just due to your ears being in so much shock from the normal amount of noise it makes that anything lower than 600dB seems like "no drone".

I mean...I love mine and all. But...she be dronin.
I agree! Had one on my AP1 for a summer. Beautiful workmanship! Sounded great at high RPMs, but droned like crazy. I gave up after finding I needed to wear ear plugs for trips more than 15 minutes long.
Old 12-27-2017, 01:21 PM

Received 123 Likes on 98 Posts

Build an exhaust helmholtz resonator.
Old 12-27-2017, 02:01 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I have a Fuji single exhaust that exits driver side. It had absolutely no drone with a test pipe. It’s definately quiet overall though. It sounds good above 6k but nonetheless quiet. I purchased it second hand so not sure where you would buy it from. I have had the invida n1, q300 and Js dual 70mm so I know what drone and loud is lol. By far the best exhaust I have ever owned.

i found a link
https://www.fujitsubo.co.jp/index.ph...04458/00000144

called the “power getter” also it doesn’t sound ricey as the video makes it seem.

Last edited by S_DosMil; 12-27-2017 at 02:05 PM.
Old 12-27-2017, 02:05 PM

Received 1,239 Likes on 940 Posts

Originally Posted by Conedodger
I agree! Had one on my AP1 for a summer. Beautiful workmanship! Sounded great at high RPMs, but droned like crazy. I gave up after finding I needed to wear ear plugs for trips more than 15 minutes long.

Yep. Its a fantastic exhaust. I also basically own stock in ear plugs.

I don't think a 70mm with ZERO drone exists.

Realistic goals are important.
Old 12-27-2017, 02:08 PM

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Amuse Euro-S single. No drone. haha
Old 12-27-2017, 02:22 PM

Received 426 Likes on 362 Posts

This would probably as close to zero drone as you could get Scavenger Exhaust System URGE designs
Or a Milltek single, but those can be hard to get.
I had a T1R 70R-EM before and with a cat installed (only tested with a HFC) it drones like crazy, with a test pipe though there was not much at all.
I only sold it because it was way to loud to pass track limits over here.
Old 12-28-2017, 12:58 AM

Received 73 Likes on 64 Posts

Thanks for all the replies. So the EVS and T1R are out lol, I want no drone at all. The Urge single also looks like it's going to be way too loud: 3" and no resonator.

As for the helmholtz canister, I am not quite convinced these things actually work, the main reason I got the Cleib exhaust was because it had a helmholtz canister so I thought it wouldn't drone, but that thing still droned bad, so

Quick Reply: Single exit exhaust with zero drone