S2000 Modifications and Parts Discussions about aftermarket products and parts including reviews, information and opinion.

Soft top strap not sitting right? Any advice?

Old 09-10-2017, 02:11 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by jwzimm
To me it seems like that "Ear" of stitched together material should have been bonded down so the strap couldn't get under it and lift it up like that. Did you send this photo to Robbins and ask them why it is happening?
Yes, I'm thinking it should be glued or something, but I don't want to mess up the top. Then I need some advice on how to do it. I've talked to Topsonline since I bought it from them. They haven't seen this problem before, so they sent the picures to someone who deals only with Honda. I'l give it a few days.
With so many Robbins top out there someone must know something.
Old 09-11-2017, 08:03 AM

Received 32 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by Raabjorn
Yes, I'm thinking it should be glued or something, but I don't want to mess up the top. Then I need some advice on how to do it. I've talked to Topsonline since I bought it from them. They haven't seen this problem before, so they sent the picures to someone who deals only with Honda. I'l give it a few days.
With so many Robbins top out there someone must know something.
Raabjorn, Please see my post above. I am the installer Vic from Topsonline is in contact with. I've personally installed over 130+ tops, just S2000's.
Old 09-11-2017, 10:49 AM

Originally Posted by 2poor2mod
Raabjorn, are both sides doing this? Or just the one side, pictured here? Was this self installed or did a professional install? What experience with S2000's did the installer have? It's hard to without examining the entire install to say if everything else is installed properly.

You could move it over one stud, however you'd have to cut the straps to the proper length, which would be some trial and error, to get it right. You run the risk here of going too short and the straps becoming unusable and voiding your warranty from Robbins. Keep trying to put the complete strap, top to bottom, under the flap. At the end of the day, this is a retrofit conversion and you may experience a few quirks.
Sorry, I didn't see this post until now.
Yes, it's both sides. I installed it myself, using this guide: https://www.s2ki.com/forums/s2000-ta...ns-top-448840/
I can't put it under the flap at the bottom. I think the end of the lower part is stitched togehter with the outer part of the roof.. I'm thinking about gluing the flap a few places so the strap won't go under it. Any suggestions on what type of glue would work? Another easy quick fix would be to use some black duckt tape over the flap. But that's a bit ghetto and probably won't last very long :P
Old 09-11-2017, 12:43 PM

Received 1,315 Likes on 993 Posts

If I were contemplating gluing it, I would first go the duct tape route, something easily reversible, to make sure it didn't cause any problems.
Old 09-19-2017, 11:39 AM

Sorry, I didn't see this post until now.
Yes, it's both sides. I installed it myself, using this guide: https://www.s2ki.com/forums/s2000-ta...ns-top-448840/
I can't put it under the flap at the bottom. I think the end of the lower part is stitched togehter with the outer part of the roof.. I'm thinking about gluing the flap a few places so the strap won't go under it. Any suggestions on what type of glue would work? Another easy quick fix would be to use some black duckt tape over the flap. But that's a bit ghetto and probably won't last very long :P
Do me a favor and send me some more pics of how the retro fit straps are attached to the frame, at both attachment points. It appears based on the pic provided they may be installed incorrectly. I installed 2 retrofit glass tops over the weekend and did not have any issues. Both had the "ears" that yours has as well, so i can say that the cause is not what is being suggested here in this thread. Don't glue or tape the top.

send pics to jeremydewey52@gmail.com or post them here in this thread to help advise people having the same issue now or in the future.
Old 09-25-2017, 07:59 AM

Do me a favor and send me some more pics of how the retro fit straps are attached to the frame, at both attachment points. It appears based on the pic provided they may be installed incorrectly. I installed 2 retrofit glass tops over the weekend and did not have any issues. Both had the "ears" that yours has as well, so i can say that the cause is not what is being suggested here in this thread. Don't glue or tape the top.

send pics to jeremydewey52@gmail.com or post them here in this thread to help advise people having the same issue now or in the future.
I put all the panels back together a few days ago, so I won't be taking it apart again any time soon. I put on some duckt tape, and used the top over a few days. It works, and it doesn't show when the top is lowered, so I'll leave it for now. Soon it's hard top season. Thanks for trying to help
Old 10-04-2017, 12:22 PM

I put all the panels back together a few days ago, so I won't be taking it apart again any time soon. I put on some duckt tape, and used the top over a few days. It works, and it doesn't show when the top is lowered, so I'll leave it for now. Soon it's hard top season. Thanks for trying to help
I realize you're likely beyond attempting to pull the interior apart again to try and fix this. If you want to tackle it one more time, there are 2 more suggestions i have for you.
  1. pull that bar out of the velcro'd sleeve you currently have it in. The bar should be on the outside, not the inside.
  2. install the rearmost 2 rivets hold in the retrofit straps in place with the tab flipped down.
    1. right now you have them installed with the "mounting tab" flipped up
    2. you should be able to see the face of the rivets in the picture you provided
The good news is that you don't have to pull the rear plastics to do this, you'll only need to peel the top back from the front to access the area to drill and re-install the rivets.
Old 10-04-2017, 12:58 PM

Received 208 Likes on 170 Posts

Raabjorn, Please see my post above. I am the installer Vic from Topsonline is in contact with. I've personally installed over 130+ tops, just S2000's.
Knows his sht. I'm 1 out of those 130.