S2000 Modifications and Parts Discussions about aftermarket products and parts including reviews, information and opinion.

spoon direct feel shift lever review

Old 03-15-2010, 08:20 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default spoon direct feel shift lever review

Okay so i was planning on taking pics for the install but anticipation of a not so notchy shifter got the best of me.... I actually installed it wiithin 30 minutes ( no joke its easy as long as you dont drop a screw ) of getting out of work . First thing first take out your old shifter , theres a diy but i can explain real easy to save you the trouble, First gently pry off your center console by getting a finger or two under it and squeezing while lifting, youll release the tabs just be gentle dont go all thor like and just yank the shit out of it,.. Once thats done unscrew your shift knob and lift up the console over the parking brake BUT BE CAREFUL theres 2 connectors you need to disconnect underneath the console cover. Now that their disconnected and its out of the way,. you should see a white ring with arrows on it , pry a thin flat head screwdriver where the arrows are and push away to release the tabs ( be gentle they snap easy , specially in the cold ) once their out remove the white ring and the rubber boot and woah whats this underneath,..Another rubber boot ? use needle nose pliers and lift the underlying rubber boot up by the tab in the front . you should reveal 3 10 mm bolts( The three bolts are connected to the shifter plate, not the other 10mm bolts in the corners connected to the tranny!!! ) take them out, Once your on the third one push down and hold your shifter down its spring loaded remember and if not held down while unscrewing you could get poked with it haha . once the 3 bolts are out and none have fallen lift up on your shifter unit. It should pop right out with or without the spring so be careful of that greasy bastard in your car . I suggest using a rag and cleaning all the grease out of your shifter tunnel at this point , Youll be putting in new grease anyways,...Take out your shiny new spoon lever and put new grease and i mean pack it in the tran tunnel , and put some more on the shifter point of the spoony device. Now that the tunnel and new shifter are lubed put the spring on the spooner like it was on the old and line up the metal plate with the according bolt pattern . When you put the lever in make sure the rubber tab on the rubber boot points to the front of the car,. put the shifter into place and make sure it slides in nice without any trouble, it only goes in one way so youll be fine,...now not too tightly screw in one of the 10mm screws... now screw in not too tight another one the metal plate should be aligned with the holes now , Put in the third screw and tighten down a tad, Make sure you can push down on the shifter and that the spring doesnt bind . Once thats secured go ahead and tighten down the 3 screws, now just do everythiing else in reverse of removal , Make sure the white collar pops in all the way and that you dont forget the 2 connectors . First immpression is that wow its not too notchy and the vibration isnt as apparent from the shifter, Within minutes of installing and driving with it, It felt as if the shifter settled and lubed up nice and proper because the difference at this point is night and day for me cant lie. The notchy shifter no more exists and the vibration is almost nil , no buzzing at all . To drive with a like new shift unit as well as what feels BETTER than new shifting, cleaner and more crisp is a godsend. Now im anal about my cars so if something feels a little off it bothers me and ill get excited when it feels just right, so if you get it and install it and it feels the same as stock to you,.. im sorry for misleading you, Yet i can feel the difference and im pretty sure my 03 was due for an upgrade anyways, If you want a shorter shifter you can get an axial flow or just cut half an inch off the top of this one and rehtread it, Im positive it will fell nicer than an axial flow ... Would i spend the $180 again on it if i had too ,.. HELLS YES I WOULD . When all is said and done ,.. if you want to clean up your notchy shift feel and get rid of buzzing and vibration i reccomend the product, For $180 from GOTUNING.COM you cant go wrong ,... We own s2000's we spend more than that on simple stupid things ,.. Like 2 asm ti license plate bolts and a j's shorty antennae ,.. acctually those 2 pretty pointless mods cost more haha. Feel free to ask any questions about the install as the instructions that come with it are well ,... in japanese so uhhh yeah good luck with that haha, Im more than willing to help out and hey if you live in jersey and you buy one p.m me ill help you install it no probs Oh by the way i typed this up half dead so i apologize for my piss poor punctuation and run on sentences so go ahead feel free to flame me for it haha
Old 03-15-2010, 09:31 PM

cliffs?
Old 03-15-2010, 09:58 PM

Originally Posted by MagnumXL2,Mar 15 2010, 09:31 PM
cliffs?

wow.
Old 03-15-2010, 09:59 PM

omgwhatthehelldoyouknowhowtouseparagrahsandstuffcu ziamgettingaheadachetryingtoreadwhatthehellyouwrot e...
Old 03-15-2010, 10:07 PM

ZOMGWTFBBWINEEDTHISASAPNAO!
Old 03-16-2010, 12:12 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by MagnumXL2,Mar 15 2010, 09:31 PM
cliffs?
DIY on how to remove and install old shifter to new shifter.

Shifter feels very nice and would spend the $180 from GoTuning again.
Old 03-16-2010, 03:43 AM

Yeah sorry about that. I worked a 16hr day and typed it up fast. Dont even know why i put in how to remove the stock shifter, Sorry guys
Old 03-16-2010, 11:35 AM

Hey dantediss, disregard the complaint. I appreciate your detailed explanation.

But I need some help finding one of these.

Last night I ordered one from GoTuning. Just called to confirm the order and find they do not have any in stock. This is now my third order with this outfit. And I have never received a thing. My first order which they could not fulfill, took several emails and a two phone calls to get my money back. The second item, ordered nearly a month ago, and despite a promise of delivery, is now awaiting refund (in 5-7 business days).

Now I must await 5-7 business days for a refund for the Spoon shifter--I now have nearly $275 invested in this company awaiting refund. Most internet companies will indicate an item is out of stock on the web page.

Payment for all these items was via PayPal. A PayPal refund is as simple as clicking on "REFUND."

Look, I do not like badmouthing a vendor. But I am not a very happy camper about this latest experience.

I hope the rest of you have had better luck.

Anyway, now that I have said that, back to my original question:

Is there another vendor who sells the Spoon Shift lever?
Old 03-16-2010, 12:26 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Old 03-16-2010, 01:02 PM

Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by retvet,Mar 16 2010, 01:35 PM
Anyway, now that I have said that, back to my original question:

Is there another vendor who sells the Spoon Shift lever?
Yes. yes. But just like all of the others, no one stock anything.

Quick Reply: spoon direct feel shift lever review