S2000 Modifications and Parts Discussions about aftermarket products and parts including reviews, information and opinion.

Spoon Engine Mounts - Liquid Filled like OEM?

Old 12-19-2018, 11:23 PM

Received 613 Likes on 420 Posts

Originally Posted by RolanTHUNDER
Wow those look very impressive! Looks like a good quality kit from Vibratechnics. Looking forward to your impressions asap. 5mm clearance ought to help you with the strut bar.

Shiny new keys eh? Nice
Yea! They look a lot nicer than the crappy black ones we got here in the US. The AP2 guys got a much nicer key. In Japan they got these. I'm not sure if the transponder can be programmed or not, but truthfully all I need them to be able to do is get cut to operate my lock cylinder; my transponder and immobilizer will be a moot thing when I run KPro...so I figured I'd pick these up.

The strut bar is just a pure bling factor, I feel like it just adds a little bit of busy to the bay, which I tend to like. Just looks a little more sorted with it in there, even if it does nothing it makes for a good place to hold onto if you're doing work in there
Old 12-19-2018, 11:29 PM

Received 186 Likes on 160 Posts

Originally Posted by Kyle
Yea! They look a lot nicer than the crappy black ones we got here in the US. The AP2 guys got a much nicer key. In Japan they got these. I'm not sure if the transponder can be programmed or not, but truthfully all I need them to be able to do is get cut to operate my lock cylinder; my transponder and immobilizer will be a moot thing when I run KPro...so I figured I'd pick these up.

The strut bar is just a pure bling factor, I feel like it just adds a little bit of busy to the bay, which I tend to like. Just looks a little more sorted with it in there, even if it does nothing it makes for a good place to hold onto if you're doing work in there
Ah I see. Clever!

And it makes for a tow "hook" as in the case of Bond at Performance Cars UK (YouTube channel) when his car needed a tow but he didn't have the tow hook in the car! Make sure that doesn't happen to you as the bar will bend lol. I also like some bling in the bay because the engine is so worth showing off but not over the top. I'd like the J's strut bar but with their ETD its really expensive and it may not even fully clear my Vortech blower so I'll hold out on that. I plan on getting Spoon radiator cap (which is functional apart from looking good), maybe the Spoon, J's or Seeker oil filler caps and I want to spray my spare coil pack cover AP2 F22 gold (or as close as possible). I already have an Invidia sticker on the valance as it came with my TP. All these JDM touches add up
Old 12-19-2018, 11:46 PM

Originally Posted by RolanTHUNDER
Ah I see. Clever!

And it makes for a tow "hook" as in the case of Bond at Performance Cars UK (YouTube channel) when his car needed a tow but he didn't have the tow hook in the car! Make sure that doesn't happen to you as the bar will bend lol. I also like some bling in the bay because the engine is so worth showing off but not over the top. I'd like the J's strut bar but with their ETD its really expensive and it may not even fully clear my Vortech blower so I'll hold out on that. I plan on getting Spoon radiator cap (which is functional apart from looking good), maybe the Spoon, J's or Seeker oil filler caps and I want to spray my spare coil pack cover AP2 F22 gold (or as close as possible). I already have an Invidia sticker on the valance as it came with my TP. All these JDM touches add up
Yes sir! I actually ordered my first Spoon parts today....RADIATOR STAYS! I ironically ended up going with the polished aluminum. At first I had plans to essentially do all black everything...black radiator, black IC, black piping etc. But after seeing how nice the polished koyo radiator looks I don't mind it as much...plus it differentiates it a little from OEM. I ended up going with the polished aluminum stays over the black ones....I already have the alloycraft black cooling plate, I think it'll break up the look nicely to use the polished stays with the polished radiator. Now I just need to go about sourcing some of those bling bolts in anodized black (the countersunk fender washers with countersink screw) but without all of the silly logos that most places put on them.
Old 12-20-2018, 12:23 AM

Yes sir! I actually ordered my first Spoon parts today....RADIATOR STAYS! I ironically ended up going with the polished aluminum. At first I had plans to essentially do all black everything...black radiator, black IC, black piping etc. But after seeing how nice the polished koyo radiator looks I don't mind it as much...plus it differentiates it a little from OEM. I ended up going with the polished aluminum stays over the black ones....I already have the alloycraft black cooling plate, I think it'll break up the look nicely to use the polished stays with the polished radiator. Now I just need to go about sourcing some of those bling bolts in anodized black (the countersunk fender washers with countersink screw) but without all of the silly logos that most places put on them.
Good! Now you have genuine Spoon in your life
I like polished/chrome parts but not overkill. Nice to mix black in as well. would like the Spoon radiator hoses but man those are expensive!
Old 12-20-2018, 08:00 AM

Received 92 Likes on 81 Posts

I'm sure he's got both as the Spoon comes as a set (engine + trans). Afaik the Vibratechnics mounts are the only ones that are sold as engine mounts (they don't make a trans mount). I had purchased new OEM trans mounts until I just discovered today that you can purchase the hardrace trans mounts separately, so I got my order in. I also saw that Hardrace makes a full suspension bushing kit for our cars, and contacted Heeltoe about being able to get it; they can. Part number is Q0079; selling my Prothanes and running those instead.

Imo if you have a stiffer rubber you're always going to get increased vibration. I wouldn't worry about it much. When I went from Stock to full poly and then from full poly to the SPT (stiffer rubber) mounts on my STi I basically had almost the same stiffness as the poly but NOWHERE near as much NVH. It's unavoidable, and in some instances you'll notice slightly more vibration and then you get used to it; you won't with poly....and I consider myself pretty tolerant of a little added noise and vibration.

Poly sucks.....after a while things start to squeak and fall apart; they need to be greased regularly. That's why you see a lot of poly bushings with zerk fittings.....Rubber is much more durable in that regard. Might not be as rigid, but serviceability (or lack of a need to) is a huge thing for me with rubber over poly bushings. They last much longer.
That's great to hear. On my Mazdaspeed 3, I've upgraded both my rear motor mount and passenger side motor mount to stiffer rubber bushings, and I agree with you there. It kind of sucked for the first 500-1,000 miles, but after they're broken in, the cabin retains a very stock-like environment. That is until you get on the gas and you start smiling.

Ok, once I stop bleeding in December, I will look into getting a set of Spoon motor + transmission mount. The car currently has 137,000 miles as purchased. Though visually I don't see the tell-tale sign of dead motor mounts (no brown/orange stains), it doesn't feel 100% intact either.
Old 12-20-2018, 09:07 PM

Originally Posted by sk2_bri
I am on both Spoon engine and transmission mounts. I have put about 500 miles on them and would consider them broken in. The first drive with them was awful but then it got better quickly. They haven't changed noticeably in the last 450 miles.

Idle is where they are most noticeable. My car tends to cycle a bit between 800 and 850 rpm when it idles and the vibration feels different at 850 than at 800. This changing vibration frequency is annoying because it also causes different things to rattle off and on, the worst of which is the wind deflector right next to my ear.
Well maybe in another 500 miles they will be fully broken in and the vibration may be close to gone.
Old 12-27-2018, 12:27 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just wanted to put in my two cents about the megan engine mounts + trans mounts. I have the same annoying vibrations; to the point where it rattles my quick release and makes noise as well. It does this at all or any rpm
Old 12-27-2018, 08:07 PM

Originally Posted by BryanNguyen
Just wanted to put in my two cents about the megan engine mounts + trans mounts. I have the same annoying vibrations; to the point where it rattles my quick release and makes noise as well. It does this at all or any rpm
I'm not sure if Megan (same manufacturer as Hardrace) offers 2 different levels of stiffness. I know the Hardrace has a street and race version of their mounts. Does Megan offer the same thing? Curious to see if you might have the stiffer of the two. How many miles on them?
Old 12-27-2018, 09:14 PM

Received 50 Likes on 44 Posts

I'm not sure if Megan (same manufacturer as Hardrace) offers 2 different levels of stiffness. I know the Hardrace has a street and race version of their mounts. Does Megan offer the same thing? Curious to see if you might have the stiffer of the two. How many miles on them?
Not that I'm aware of.

I've had the Megan on an AP1 and my current AP2. They're 'stiff' at first but after ~500 miles they really mellow out.
Old 12-27-2018, 11:20 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

https://meganracing.com/catalog/prod.../category/176/
Don't think they offer a street/race version. I think it's just one.
Those are the ones I bought and even after 2k miles, still get vibrations from the window, to the steering wheel, to the seats, etc etc.
I mean yes, they do mellow out a bit after warm up, but those vibrations come back more noticeably around 4th-5th gear. Once you're in 6th, it's not even there. But when are we ever in 6th anyways.

It's not a huge problem. I'd just rather not have everything rattle if it's a daily. I'm sure on the track, I would definitely not care.