S2000 Modifications and Parts Discussions about aftermarket products and parts including reviews, information and opinion.

Spoon Engine Mounts - Liquid Filled like OEM?

Old 10-21-2018, 11:24 PM

Received 186 Likes on 160 Posts

Originally Posted by Deckoz
Probably not, I'm sure the theory of it all is sound(haha puns) but I really didn't notice a change to the car other then the slight difference in how it feels throttling and shifting. Not any difference in sound to me. Everything feels nice and crisp, but without the vibration of urethane mounts or the sound that comes with them.
This sounds good.
Old 10-21-2018, 11:26 PM

Originally Posted by jtgray10
Stick with the OEM mounts. The engineers used hydromounts for a reason, to add system damping in the vertical direction.

The fluid you see is just a glycol blend. Stiffer mounts and/or the addition of an ETD will negatively impact NVH.

The S has a typical longitudinal (RWD) mount system which is designed to react to torque about the torque roll axis, in the vertical direction.

Adding an ETD messes with the balance and creates an over-determined system, it also adds an additional transfer path for vibrations.
Many owners have attested to the tangible benefit of running an ETD. The ETD can prolong the life of OEM or aftermarket engine mounts too.
Old 10-21-2018, 11:32 PM

Originally Posted by Mugen_is_best
I have Mugen mounts (of course ). It took a few hundred miles to break in, but once broken in you can't tell much of a difference- aside from the increased performance. Like mentioned previously about the Spoon mounts, there is a slight vibration when sitting at a stop light and have the a/c blasting. The shifting is much more crisp. If you are upgrading mounts, Spoon or Mugen are the way to go.
Of course, you have to stay true to your name otherwise Hirotoshi Honda may be annoyed with you

A few hundred miles to break them in is fine. Crips shifting means the power train is much more stable (less movement). This is goooood
Old 10-21-2018, 11:33 PM

Originally Posted by Zissou
I just did my high flow cat last weekend and same thing but with the diff mounts - noticed one of the diff mounts was cracked. Been going back and forth on what to do - OEM and pony up for the Spoon mounts.
Innovative doesn't interest me at all. I had their 75a engine and trans mounts and hated all the NVH from it.
this is the reason I am interested in the Spoon mounts as they're not like those 75a many owners have complained about. I'll have to see for myself but from the reviews above no one said NVH is excessive.
Old 10-22-2018, 08:56 AM

Received 38 Likes on 30 Posts

Probably not, I'm sure the theory of it all is sound(haha puns) but I really didn't notice a change to the car other then the slight difference in how it feels throttling and shifting. Not any difference in sound to me. Everything feels nice and crisp, but without the vibration of urethane mounts or the sound that comes with them.
I'd rather here from the original poster first.
Old 10-22-2018, 09:16 AM

Received 343 Likes on 320 Posts

Many owners have uprated suspension with stiffer than oem spring rates,
engine&drivetrain mounts for torque movement ect is not the only movement involved
Old 10-22-2018, 11:14 AM
Site Moderator

Received 345 Likes on 300 Posts

Originally Posted by flanders
Lots of talk about that reinforced transmission mount, what does it actually do except ad some weight?
Sure it's stronger and should minimize any flex but you still got rubber in between and I think that cancels out that beefed up steel pretty well.
Overall I can say that shifts feel more direct. Yes the rubber still allows for some movement but making the mount more solid keeps that movement minimal and considering this mount is holding the trans in stronger is better IMO. This paired with the stiffer mounts means everything is more well supported. Nothing wrong with just buying OEM mounts and if the car is a daily thats the route I would go since they will be a little more compliant and you do save a few hundred dollars. May car isn't a daily and the added benefits outweigh things like a little more vibration.

I also bought spoon diff mounts but haven't gotten around to putting them in. Now that the weather is getting crappy and I'll drive the car even less I'll probably put them in along with a few other bits I have been lazy about installing.
Old 10-22-2018, 06:25 PM

Received 38 Likes on 30 Posts

That's fine, but the original poster doesn't have spoon mounts or an ETD, to be objective in his claims. I have both, and drove both within a couple hours of one another, after driving the S with stock OEM mounts for months. My spoon mounts aren't even broken in yet. I was just sharing my real-world experience of swapping them and what I hear/feel.

Not trying to discredit what he's saying. I just, don't think it matters to the effect/gravity he has made it out to be, for the two products(spoon mounts and ETD) compared to OEM.
​​​​​
He doesn't have to have an ETD to provide an opinion. It may feel better, but it may be causing undue stress on another component. I'd rather find out where those vibrations are transferred to instead. The ETD isn't really a dampener as it's a fixed piece of metal.
Old 10-22-2018, 09:04 PM

Received 76 Likes on 68 Posts

Originally Posted by arsenal
The ETD isn't really a dampener as it's a fixed piece of metal.
Bogus. An ETD literally is a tiny shock absorber fixed to an upper portion of the engine with the other end attached to chassis. ETD are much bigger in the fwd world because of super soft Oem mounts. Fluid filled mounts in general have that give and compress to allow movement under load which helps mitigate NVH. This in some circumstance can help produce sloppy shifting along with bucking. ETD gives support to the Oem style mount like a roll bar's impact on suspension. Having both the upgraded fluid filled (Mugen/spoon) mounts and ETD as @Deckoz does is likely overkill but still provides more compliance than solid mounts. Bottom line is the ETD is much cheaper but if you have a bad mount fix that don't try to solve a symptom of that by adding more hardware.

My 2 C, ymmv

Old 10-22-2018, 10:26 PM

Received 613 Likes on 420 Posts

So the consensus is the spoon/mugen are fluid-filled? I was considering going with HardRace but I know those are solid rubber, even the street versions. My S2k isn't my daily but at the same time I made the mistake of going full Beatrush poly mounts in my STi and the car was just awful as a daily. Admittedly I didn't even give the mounts enough time to break-in before I swapped them out for the slightly stiffer than OEM Group N mounts, but regardless, poly mounts are hell, and anyone saying it isn't that bad is a maniac. I know we're not specifically talking poly mounts in this thread, but typically anything stiffer than OEM for driveline mounts really sucks....I'd never consider anything poly for the drivetrain in any of my cars, daily or weekend....That's why the playing field is a little small. To me it's only the Spoon, Mugen, or Hardrace mounts I'd consider....I think Ballade and Megan are in there too. Basically the same design as OEM just slightly stiffer RUBBER (not poly, thank god)

Quick Reply: Spoon Engine Mounts - Liquid Filled like OEM?