S2000 Modifications and Parts Discussions about aftermarket products and parts including reviews, information and opinion.

Stock Header with 70mm Berk HFC

Old 12-08-2014, 04:17 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Stock Header with 70mm Berk HFC

Hi Ladies and Gents,

It's about time for the Christmas bonus at work (w00t). I'm thinking it's finally time to get serious about modding my S2000 especially now that I've tracked it for the first time. (Can't have the guys with modded FRS's and BRZ's keeping up in the straights... )

I like my stock header, but I want to add a 70mm Berk HFC because I also want to add a 70mm exhaust like the T1R 70R EM Sparrow exhaust for the tempting power gains shown in the offical exhaust thread.

My question is:
1) (Main Question)Will the 70mm HFC mate with the stock header on one end and a 70mm exhaust on the other?

2) Also (shameless double-question post), what is the difference between the "T1R 70R EM Sparrow" and the "T1R 70R Sparrow"? - Looks like 2 letters, a test pipe, and $400 to me.

3) (Even more shameful triple post) Will this combo drone a lot or offend others when I drive around town? Currently I only have a K&N FIPK and it sounds near perfect for me. - There are guys driving Mustang's with Flowmasters at work and they sound so obnoxious. It makes me want to punch 'em in the face.

Many Thanks for the feedback.
Old 12-09-2014, 05:44 AM

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

1) yes it'll work no problem. At a minimum use same size HFC as exhaust.
2) I believe the EM is the evasive motor sports specific and might have the dolphin tips. 70R I believe doesn't.
3) all exhaust drone some. The ones that don't or close to nothing are OEM. Mugen. Fuji. And some include Tanabe medallion. But these are 60mm.

Search a little. The exhaust n drone threads flow like the waters from Lake Minatonka.

Good luck.
Old 12-09-2014, 10:53 AM

Received 33 Likes on 30 Posts

Just get the berk hfc that transitions from 63-70. It's a special order. Call them. If you don't live in Cali get the testpipe version
Old 12-10-2014, 03:40 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by jst2878
Just get the berk hfc that transitions from 63-70. It's a special order. Call them. If you don't live in Cali get the testpipe version
Cool! I didn't know they did a special order, dual size version of it? Do you think it costs substantially more? I know the Test Pipe makes more power, but I'd prefer to have the HFC so my car smells normal and I can move into a state that does smog tests in the future without having to swap it out again and re-tune the car.
Old 12-10-2014, 04:47 PM

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

I run a 70 mm Berk HFC with a Dual GReddy Dual SE. The Sparrow EM was a close second. Slight done at 60. I am not aware of any state a test pipe is legal in. The HFC went to off road only in California. The HFC is 49 state legal. If you don't mind swapping your cat back in once a year you can get a TP for a few extra ponies.

Utah
Old 12-11-2014, 04:34 AM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Utah S2K
I run a 70 mm Berk HFC with a Dual GReddy Dual SE. The Sparrow EM was a close second. Slight done at 60. I am not aware of any state a test pipe is legal in. The HFC went to off road only in California. The HFC is 49 state legal. If you don't mind swapping your cat back in once a year you can get a TP for a few extra ponies.

Utah
There are several states that do not require emissions checks at all; South Carolina is one. There are even states where emissions checks are required only in certain counties. Out of the 100 counties in North Carolina, only 48 require emissions checks.
Old 12-11-2014, 06:48 AM

Received 208 Likes on 170 Posts

Originally Posted by CoolGuy094
Originally Posted by Utah S2K' timestamp='1418262448' post='23433449
I run a 70 mm Berk HFC with a Dual GReddy Dual SE. The Sparrow EM was a close second. Slight done at 60. I am not aware of any state a test pipe is legal in. The HFC went to off road only in California. The HFC is 49 state legal. If you don't mind swapping your cat back in once a year you can get a TP for a few extra ponies.Utah
There are several states that do not require emissions checks at all; South Carolina is one. There are even states where emissions checks are required only in certain counties. Out of the 100 counties in North Carolina, only 48 require emissions checks.
Hmmm?.. Really!?
Old 12-11-2014, 08:26 AM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Langelo DeMysterioso
Hmmm?.. Really!?
LOL, yes! Unfortunately, I am in one of those 48 counties in NC that requires it. It is common practice around here to register your car as being "principally garaged" at a family member's house who lives in one of the counties (or in SC) that doesn't require emissions checks. A nice work-around to having to swap parts to get back to emissions-legal status each year.

Edit - Check this out... Any state that DOESN'T have ANY yellow or the dookie brown color DOESN'T require emissions checks at all.

So Alaska, Montana, Wyoming, North/South Dakota, Nebraska, Kansas, Oklahoma, Minnesota, Iowa, Arkansas, Michigan, Kentucky, Mississippi, Alabama, Florida, and South Carolina don't have emissions testings at all in the state.