S2000 Modifications and Parts Discussions about aftermarket products and parts including reviews, information and opinion.

Stock vs. CR with Swift Spec R vs. KW V3 Review

Old 03-04-2014, 01:33 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I shall be following this thread very closely as I want to do my suspension soon. Thanks so much for the post Alvin!
Old 03-04-2014, 09:22 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by renegadeshift
I shall be following this thread very closely as I want to do my suspension soon. Thanks so much for the post Alvin!
If you want I can take you for a spin in the S bro! The KW V3s are amazing and it's my favorite mod along with my kit and BBK!
Old 08-12-2014, 11:04 PM

Thanks for taking the time to do this write up. I just bought some spec r's for my 07 and was thinking of using them with the stock struts but I think I will spring for the cr struts instead.
Old 08-14-2014, 02:11 PM
Community Organizer

Received 76 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by AlvinHuyN
KW Variant 3[/b]-I had my CR/Swift setup for about 1 month and did two nice canyon runs with it before making the very big mistake of driving my friend's AP2 with KW V3s and Eibach Sway bars. The first impression was: comfort! The KWs are two ways adjustable (rebound and compression) and my main reason to go with them is because of the LA roads. While Santa Monica has very nice roads and great canyons for driving, my work sometimes takes me through LA and bad is an understatement. My first impression of the KW (at factory setting) is wow - plenty of grip, smooth ride, and more predictable. The KW lets you get to your limit and know when the car will reach that point and it does it with precision. The other advantage is that it eliminates even more body roll. I prefer my car to not feel "loose" on the road - that's why I'm going to add sway bars as well. We spent over an hour and a half adjusting the ride height and the compression / rebound. My setting landed at rebound 12 front 14 rear (KW recommends 10 f 12 r for street / track combined use). The compression is left at the recommended 5 from full stiff (out of 14).

Originally Posted by yamahaSHO
We have freezing temperatures and salt... and poor road upkeep in my area. I lived most of my younger days in the south and I miss those roads. It doesn't take long for my my S2000 to wear me out on our roads with KW's. It's not enjoyable after 10 minutes of driving.

Interesting how one person feels that these coils are comfortable and another thinks they wear them out! What's your setting at yamahaSHO?

Nice write-up Alvin, repost images? Any updates?

I was thinking of going with springs or a cheaper set of coils/shocks (BC Racing BR, Fortune, PSS9, Koni or CR Shocks)but after having ridden in car shod with the V3s I'm leaning towards buying a set. Ultimately my car is a daily driver, I don't mind the OEM ride quality, but I don't want anything more harsh.
Old 08-14-2014, 03:19 PM

Hey alSpeed2K,

Go for it. I have KW V3 and love it. It will be harsher than OEM no doubt if setup properly. PSS9 will ride much more relaxed and 'compfy' over KW V3 on the 604 roads. I hate our pavements (esp. on 12th/10th from Macdonald to Alma) but nothing compared to Denver... Puts things in perspective.

Still, I'm not saying that KW V3 is harsh - again it's my personal take... - but how it's setup makes a difference. It's a great compromise between PSS9 and the JDM counterparts like HKS/Tein which are noticeably 'harsher' mainly due to the spring-rates. I've had numerous JDM ones on other cars in the past, and they're awesome too, but our roads are not like they have in Germany/Japan or tracks - smoof.
Old 08-14-2014, 03:35 PM

Received 121 Likes on 97 Posts

The OP lives in California. I live where the roads, even when new (concrete), are rough and very bumpy.
Old 08-14-2014, 09:56 PM

Originally Posted by AlvinHuyN
[size="2"]

I will add more to this review after I get more seat time with the KW but so far I'm loving it. Now, the question is, if I didn't get them in a trade, would I have still bought them? The answer will come in the next part of the review.
OP, any follow up with this after some seat time?
I've been thinking about getting KW V3's on mine too... Just gotta save up money..
Old 08-14-2014, 11:22 PM
Community Organizer

Received 76 Likes on 60 Posts

SummerDream, take me for a ride!
Old 08-18-2014, 11:39 AM

Originally Posted by alSpeed2k
SummerDream, take me for a ride!
yup. we'll figure it out.
Old 08-29-2014, 08:46 PM

Received 44 Likes on 38 Posts

A friend of mine just upgraded from Swift R/CR shocks to KW Clubsports. He says it really refined his ride. He fine tuning them as we speak.

Quick Reply: Stock vs. CR with Swift Spec R vs. KW V3 Review