S2000 Modifications and Parts Discussions about aftermarket products and parts including reviews, information and opinion.

Stroker Kits

Old 12-01-2007, 11:18 AM
Community Organizer

Received 551 Likes on 503 Posts

Originally Posted by S2KSandy,Dec 1 2007, 05:53 AM
vvrrrrRRROOOOMMMMM PPSSSHHHH!!!!!!

is probably the only way to go for the HP
Yep, seems to be...
Old 12-01-2007, 11:55 AM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by s2000Junky,Dec 1 2007, 12:02 AM
So the roughly $5000 it takes for all parts and install for the stroked motor is only worth about 30more hp over a typical bolt on S in my book.
I've got an InlinePro 2.5 stroker. In my opinion it a much nicer power band then FI. I'm making ~ 250whp. My first dyno and tune was 251whp 188ft/lbs (1 month ago), yesterday and went again and made 245whp and 184ft/lbs. This time I tested the SOS TB and made about an extra 3hp with it. Baseline of yesterday was 241whp and 180ft/lbs tuned without the TB. Its about 50 more whp and tq then a stock S2k. It makes about 300bhp. If you want big numbers, this is NOT the way to go. You will never see 350whp out of a daily driveable 2.5L, I'd acutally even doubt seeing 300whp.

But...at 250whp, its great, its how the car should have come from the factory.

S2000junky...it takes more like 9-10k for a complete stroker motor for only 30more whp then a bolt-on S There is the tuning system, a new clutch, tuning, and lots of other little things that go into it. And even with spending that much money, you still wont be able to beat your friends in a ultra cool highway race

The S2000 itself shines as a track car, a stroker motor keeps the S2k strong there. It feels just like a stock car but with more everywhere, more power and more torque from 1500rpm to 8000rpm. Can you still rev them out to 9k? I know you can rev the Inline kit to 9k...but really it stops making more power at about 8000 so there is no reason to take it further.

Ohh, and my only mods are SOS TB, K&N drop-in replacement filter, and T1R 63mm testpipe...the rest is all stock. Also in my first dyno I had VTEC set at 4700 and it worked great, but yesterday we decided we would try to see how much lower we could bring it. At 3500, I stopped, I don't need VTEC to engage any lower then that, but I know I could have gone as low as 3000 to maybe even 2500 and still made more power over the low cams!!! That just tells you that going to a 2.5L means the stock VTEC cam profile should be the small cam profile for a 2.5 and then an even larger profile for 2.5 VTEC cam...I'm sure 270whp would be easy with a 2.5L and some real cams. At 3500rpm I already have 165ft/lbs and 120whp. I make 148wtq at 2700rpm, that more then stock peak torque. And then its above 170wtq from 4500-7500.

Peak numbers aren't what matter here.
Old 12-01-2007, 11:58 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

a properly tuned stroker motor is nothing to balk at...there are some very very fast 2.2 or 2.4L or more s2000's out there and yes for the $/hp it isnt the best way to do it, but you get reliability of an NA and significantly more torque out of them usually.

however they are not the best for daily drivers as they tend to require higher compression which makes safe fueling a pain.
Old 12-01-2007, 12:15 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by coldrsx,Dec 1 2007, 12:58 PM
a properly tuned stroker motor is nothing to balk at...there are some very very fast 2.2 or 2.4L or more s2000's out there and yes for the $/hp it isnt the best way to do it, but you get reliability of an NA and significantly more torque out of them usually.

however they are not the best for daily drivers as they tend to require higher compression which makes safe fueling a pain.
I'm 11.5:1 CR for just that purpose. It was a pick and choose your CR, and I figured if I'm on the west coast and stuck with 91 oct...I'd stick to 11.5 and be safe. Thus, daily driveability for ME, is great. But yes, if you have a CR of 13:1 or so then its a bit more of a PITA
Old 12-01-2007, 01:51 PM

Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts

I didn't want to post in here, but I will.

Now I can leave.
Old 12-01-2007, 06:23 PM
Community Organizer

[QUOTE=Silver9k,Dec 1 2007, 12:55 PM] I've got an InlinePro 2.5 stroker.
Old 12-01-2007, 06:57 PM

Received 107 Likes on 85 Posts

no fighting pulesh.
Old 12-01-2007, 07:15 PM

Originally Posted by s2000Junky,Dec 1 2007, 10:23 PM
Good information but 9-10grand?!! Thats completely unacceptable in my book for what you get, I was being well conservative, but realistic I thought at 5g's. Not sure what that smirk is about, as if your trying to feel smart about how I was off in my assesment of cost, but it makes you look rather foolish to be directing it towards me when you were the one that spent the 10grand on 50hp/50tq. The use of that smirk is a bit of a hot button for me, Its use is rather annoying.

I will say if the stroker work cost a 1/3 of that I would do it in a heart beat, as I love the stock power curve and think that going FI, turbo or supercharged takes away from that too much,like you. I envy your engine, but I don't envy the price you paid, now if I were you I would wipe that smirk off your face before you end up looking like to big of a douche. Just my 2cents
Chill. I didn't read his : rolleyes : emoticon like that. If anything, I took it as he knows the cost from experience and realizes that it's pointless to discuss it with most folks because of the $-to-hp debate that is inevitable.

For some reason, folks think that kits of any sort are the price of the turbo or stroker. Au contraire'. Superchargers can be pretty much plug-n-play if left at stock boost. The others need engine management, injectors, tuning, etc., etc.

You going on and on about an emoticon looks ghey. He took the time to write a detailed post about relevant information pertaining to a stroker setup.
Old 12-01-2007, 07:21 PM

And to add, I have an Inline 2.5L stroker motor. I paid them to install it, too. Because of this, InlinePro gave me a 2-yr warranty on the motor. Who does that?!?!

They know I track. They encourage it. Now you tell me if you think it's worth the money for it? Considering I repeatedly have drivers ask if I have some sort of FI after driving a session with me, I'd say it's worth it. Check out D-Sport magazine or Redline time Attack's website. My car with simple Koni yellows won RWD Modified by over 2 seconds. Cayman and another S2000 finished behind me and Inline's motor.

PS. My S2000 was sc'd heavily at one time.
Old 12-01-2007, 08:54 PM
Community Organizer

Originally Posted by FF2Skip,Dec 1 2007, 08:15 PM
Chill. I didn't read his : rolleyes : emoticon like that. If anything, I took it as he knows the cost from experience and realizes that it's pointless to discuss it with most folks because of the $-to-hp debate that is inevitable.

For some reason, folks think that kits of any sort are the price of the turbo or stroker. Au contraire'. Superchargers can be pretty much plug-n-play if left at stock boost. The others need engine management, injectors, tuning, etc., etc.

You going on and on about an emoticon looks ghey. He took the time to write a detailed post about relevant information pertaining to a stroker setup.
I don't want to make this a big issue because its not, but with your perpetuating it, I will clarify. It was aimed at me and I did, I had an opinion and sertanly a reasonable one. I didn't feel like I deserved the attitude associated with that emoticon. Its silly really because if anything he brought light to the fact that he spent double what I stated, just in hopes to make me feel foolish somehow. I find that rather humorous but annoying because it was uncalled for. I did validate his input right off the bat so re read if you need to.

No, I don't. Any performance upgrade done right I would expect to last two years or more, so no, it doesn't change my opinion. Sertanly on a $10,000 upgrade from a nitch' manufacturer vertually begging for busness. Two year warrenty should go without saying.

What was your reasoning to go from a 100% bolt on SC that makes more HP&TQ and cost roughly half as much? Is this a valid question? Though the SC doesn't have the same power curve as stock or the 2.5, was it not trackable for you? Why would you spend more money to downgrade in engine output? People who don't have experience with a supercharger or stroker kit, which are likely 90% of the people on this thread, would like to know. Including myself. I have also reached a point where I have formed an opinion on the matter like several others. I have voiced it. Thank you very much!

Quick Reply: Stroker Kits