S2000 Modifications and Parts Discussions about aftermarket products and parts including reviews, information and opinion.

Swapping AP1 Steering Rack into 2006+

Old 01-06-2019, 04:38 AM

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts
Question Swapping AP1 Steering Rack into 2006+

Folks,

I have a 2007 and I am looking to make a lot of changes to the suspension when I recover from surgery in a few weeks. I already have a nice set of KW V3s, solid steering rack bushings, HD from control arm compliance bushings, and some SPC Balljoints.

The last thing I would like is the faster AP1 steering ratio. I have done some searching, and a few posters have mentioned that the AP1 racks are not compatible with 2006+ AP2s. Is this true? How can I get the quicker ratio outside of buying/finding a CR rack, which would probably be much more expensive and hard to find? Is it possible to swap to an AP1 EPS control unit, or swap the torque sensors, etc?

I apologize for making a new post, but I could not find the answer to this specific question when searching.

Thanks!
Old 01-06-2019, 05:08 AM

I have done some more research, and found similar posts that the VSA system added to the 2006+ cars included changes to the rack and there is no way an AP1 rack would work; I would have to get a CR rack. If anyone has different information, I would love to hear it.
Old 01-06-2019, 05:46 AM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

people have exchanged ap1/ap2 torque sensors . The eps system seems to require very little to provide some kind of assistance.

the only cables that goto the rack other than torque sensor are the power cables to the rack . I can’t see that making a large difference and being able to use the other ratio.

I can’t say for sure it won’t but I think there is a good chance.
Old 01-08-2019, 07:16 AM

There were numerous people that said that it would not work because of the changes made for VSA, so I was hoping to find someone with direct knowledge to confirm or refute that. I don't want to drop $200+ on a rack that I cannot use.
Old 01-09-2019, 02:55 PM

Originally Posted by FastUnicorn
There were numerous people that said that it would not work because of the changes made for VSA, so I was hoping to find someone with direct knowledge to confirm or refute that. I don't want to drop $200+ on a rack that I cannot use.

I understand .
There are many gun shy folks on this board.
The people with direct knowledge probably have abandoned this place by now.

Old 01-09-2019, 03:01 PM

hecash makes ir sound like this swap is no issue.

Maybe shooting a PM is worth a shot.
Old 01-09-2019, 03:07 PM

I read that thread. I am pretty sure it swaps super easy into 2004-2005 AP2 (pre-VSA), I don't think he was talking about 2006+.

I searched about this pretty extensively, there were several people that rather casually said that "all steering racks are interchangeable". There were a few that said that ap1 racks absolutely will not work in a 2006+ due to VSA. I was not able to find any information to refute that...no one with a 2006+ that had done the swap. I think I would need a CR rack, which I am sure would require my firstborn or something.
Old 01-09-2019, 03:32 PM

I read that thread. I am pretty sure it swaps super easy into 2004-2005 AP2 (pre-VSA), I don't think he was talking about 2006+.

I searched about this pretty extensively, there were several people that rather casually said that "all steering racks are interchangeable". There were a few that said that ap1 racks absolutely will not work in a 2006+ due to VSA. I was not able to find any information to refute that...no one with a 2006+ that had done the swap. I think I would need a CR rack, which I am sure would require my firstborn or something.

Sorry ,

I failed to realize today the direction of the parts.

if if i had a ap2 i’d give it a whirl.
Ive seen the eps box and torque sensor swapped ap2 —-> ap1 . but never the full rack .

is there other rack connections other than the torque sensor and the rack itself ?
Old 01-09-2019, 04:22 PM

Any physical investigation will have to wait. I just had left ankle surgery and traded my s2000 to a friend for an automatic subaru. Lucky him. 3 more weeks until I can drive it again!

One thread that I read said that the plugs were different on 2006+.
Old 01-10-2019, 01:12 PM

Received 1,315 Likes on 993 Posts

I searched about this pretty extensively, there were several people that rather casually said that "all steering racks are interchangeable".
And that would have been a true statement in 2005. Someone that did not learn new info about 2006+ might make such a statement in, say, 2010 (or even today), thinking they were passing on known accurate info.

Quick Reply: Swapping AP1 Steering Rack into 2006+