S2000 Modifications and Parts Discussions about aftermarket products and parts including reviews, information and opinion.

Tamon Design ducktail vs Bayson R FRP ducktail

Old 05-28-2018, 12:56 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Tamon Design ducktail vs Bayson R FRP ducktail

Hey there guys,
I was recentently recommended to buy the AP2 OEM style lip from the Bayson R since it seems to be the best aftermarket lip similar to the OEM one. When I went on Bayson R website, I saw that they are also selling the TD style ducktail, and this was a part that I was always looking into buying, since I have seen the Tamon Design’s ducktail in person and I really loved it. Did anyone have any experience with Bayson’s R replica of Tamon ducktail since I want to know if they look the same or if there is any major difference, since if they are not alike, I would prefer to buy the actual one.
Thank you in advance.
Old 06-10-2018, 05:43 AM

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

This is my Tamon Design spoiler on my AP1. I love it, however it is not a Bayson R replica. I've seen replica ones in person and to be honest you couldn't tell the difference unless someone told you. Not sure if it was a Bayson replica, but I know it was purchased on eBay. I'd say go for it
The following users liked this post:
v1ndiesel (06-10-2018)
Old 06-10-2018, 09:21 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I’ve seen a few replicas in person, not sure if it was that particular brand you’re mentioning but replicas. One thing I seem to notice that’s been the same on all replicas is that the hole for the third break light isn’t a nice cut out. Seems to be jagged or inconsistent as far as being even, It’s pretty noticeable if it’s painted. The corners weren’t as well sculpted either, some corners looked good but others were kinda off. Other then that seemed fine.
The following users liked this post:
v1ndiesel (06-10-2018)
Old 06-10-2018, 10:24 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thank you very much guys, I still haven't made up my mind since the price of the Tamon design is like 3x the price of the other one, so probably I will be waiting for Bayson R front lip to arrive and see the quality and decide after that.
Old 06-12-2018, 09:33 PM

Received 83 Likes on 57 Posts

I'm happy with the $200 pre-painted Tamon replica from Ikon Motorsports. I think my installer might have put it too low, if that's even possible, since the light isn't exactly lined up in the cutout. It still shines and is visible, but it's not a nice perfect lineup.

I don't know if it's FRP in general, or if it needs to be wet sanded more, but I can definitely tell it's not metal since it's not as smoooth as the rest of my car. It has more dings/dimples if you will. Esp on the top piece.
That's the only reason I would spring for the real thing. Eventually I might. Then again I could probably get a body shop to smooth out and repaint the replica.
Old 06-17-2018, 08:11 PM

Received 46 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by silenc3x

I'm happy with the $200 pre-painted Tamon replica from Ikon Motorsports. I think my installer might have put it too low, if that's even possible, since the light isn't exactly lined up in the cutout. It still shines and is visible, but it's not a nice perfect lineup.

I don't know if it's FRP in general, or if it needs to be wet sanded more, but I can definitely tell it's not metal since it's not as smoooth as the rest of my car. It has more dings/dimples if you will. Esp on the top piece.
That's the only reason I would spring for the real thing. Eventually I might. Then again I could probably get a body shop to smooth out and repaint the replica.
Of course it’s not metal, it just needs proper prep before paint to solve those issues, common problem buying pre-painted non-OEM parts. Prepping that wing is a half-day job.
Old 06-22-2018, 05:01 PM

Are the bolt holes for the OEM and Tamon in the same place? Or would you need a new set of holes?
Old 06-23-2018, 12:43 AM

Tamon doesn’t use bolt holes, it uses 3M double sided tape.
Old 07-02-2018, 04:35 PM
Lex

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by SOL1D
I’ve seen a few replicas in person, not sure if it was that particular brand you’re mentioning but replicas. One thing I seem to notice that’s been the same on all replicas is that the hole for the third break light isn’t a nice cut out. Seems to be jagged or inconsistent as far as being even, It’s pretty noticeable if it’s painted. The corners weren’t as well sculpted either, some corners looked good but others were kinda off. Other then that seemed fine.
That's the same thing I have noticed with the real and replica Tamon duckbill.

If you care about the details, having authentic parts and/or want better resale value then get the real Tamon spoiler. If not, just get the replica and have a shop try smoothing the section where the third brake light sits before painting it.