S2000 Modifications and Parts Discussions about aftermarket products and parts including reviews, information and opinion.

Tanabe Concept G vs HKS

Old 05-03-2009, 08:31 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by bigmacnfries,May 3 2009, 05:10 PM
only thing i didn't like about the HKS was the tips, so i welded my AP2 tips back on - now, it's perfect.
id like to see a pic of that.

i wanna see how it looks with the tips welded to canisters.

Old 05-03-2009, 08:40 PM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

i didn't like the horse penis resonator that you can see from the rear at the split on the hks exhaust. so i went with the tanabe. whats up with that resonator????????? looks retarded.
tanabe ftw!!!!!!!!!!
Old 05-03-2009, 09:02 PM

I don't know how many people value staring underneath the car but if you do more power to you. Sound's like a lame con on an otherwise awesome exhaust to me.
Old 05-03-2009, 09:33 PM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

it is so obvious, anyone can see it driving behind you....
tanabe full stainless ftw way better quality by far...
hks ceramic coated ftl
hks 2 resonators ftl
Old 05-03-2009, 09:51 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

No offense, but if you're buying an exhaust based on looks I can't see myself taking any advice from you.
Old 05-03-2009, 10:24 PM

Can anyone confirm the visibility of the resonator on the HKS from the back? I can't see the damn thing at all unless I crouch down underneath? Might be an AP1 bumper thing.

This guys talking out of his ass. It's like not buying a pair of shoes because you don't like the look of the soles.
Old 05-03-2009, 10:38 PM
Community Organizer

Received 551 Likes on 503 Posts

HKS is cheep in construction and sound quality much like Invidia, Tanabe is in a different class of exhaust, there really isn't much comparison period. I felt for what you get overall for just $200 more was a pretty easy choice for me.
Old 05-03-2009, 10:50 PM

Nobody is hating on the Tanabe so I don't understand where the defensiveness is coming from. All I'm questioning is the whole dislike for the resonator that's not even visible on the HKS.

Otherwise here we go again with the "Sounds Cheap" and "I payed for a more expensive exhaust thus it's better"

They are both awesome, although the HKS is almost unanimously recognized as one of the best sounding exhausts.
Old 05-04-2009, 03:45 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

FTW
Old 05-04-2009, 09:20 AM
Community Organizer

Received 551 Likes on 503 Posts

Originally Posted by Abdizzle,May 3 2009, 10:50 PM
Nobody is hating on the Tanabe so I don't understand where the defensiveness is coming from. All I'm questioning is the whole dislike for the resonator that's not even visible on the HKS.

Otherwise here we go again with the "Sounds Cheap" and "I payed for a more expensive exhaust thus it's better"

They are both awesome, although the HKS is almost unanimously recognized as one of the best sounding exhausts.
I'm not being defensive nor am I affended, i'm just stating a fact on what I know about the exhuast in question. My refrence to Invidia was there as a comparable becuase most know and recongnize what its about. Some may like the sound of the HKS and thats fine if you like it so much your willing to make the other compromizes if your aware of what they are, you may not fully so i'll educate a bit.

I personally think the Tanabe concept G sounds better, as in better quality, yes soime would argue the sound of exhuast can be cheep or expensive sounding, I dont think that is an out of line statement, but my personal taste is not yours either so what ever. But for performance wise the HKS is heavier for a dual, your not going to get the same weight savings as the other typical duals which is about 15-20 pounds from stock, and becuase of that added resonator it creats more turbulance in the exhuast flow then typical so any bennifit of dumping the stock reflector type mufflers which are turbulant, are replaced by the rediculous HKS res, and the materials and construction are sub par in comparison to stock or equivent such as Tanabe.

Do a search on s2ki and see what comes up for HKS broken pipe or welds, try for Tanabe Concept G and see what you get.

Quick Reply: Tanabe Concept G vs HKS