S2000 Modifications and Parts Discussions about aftermarket products and parts including reviews, information and opinion.

Tanabe Concept G vs HKS

Old 05-04-2009, 10:17 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I believe all the quality issues you're referring to were from the early exhausts. I think they had a material change in the piping a couple years later which resolved the issue.

As for the performance aspect I'll say it again. You buy a dual for sound and sound alone, a 15 pound weight decrease alone means absolutely nothing. It's comparable to pulling out the spare. And at that point I much rather take that out of the trunk than fork out money for an exhaust if weight savings was my priority.

There is so much propaganda and misinformation about the HKS which is the only reason I'm even posting in here.

"It loses power"
"It falls apart"

So what compromise is there? You buy a dual exhaust for an S2000 for auditory reasons, the HKS is slightly lighter, is not definitively proven to lose or gain power and sounds great. What is there to complain about? What does your "exhaust turbulence" talk do in terms of educating me and providing any information as to how it affects people who daily drive their cars with an HKS? This tread is about a livable exhaust as you can see and I don't think "exhaust turbulence" is gonna dictate whether the HKS is horrible when it comes to decision making.

The exact same thing can be said about the Tanabe except it's slightly more expensive. Do you see what I'm getting at here?

You have NOTHING to complain about. Instead I think you're a little too involved in the premium you payed for your Tanabe seeing how you referenced the Invidia's as well. Price does not = superiority.

Would I buy a Tanabe? Yes, but it does nothing drastically better than exhausts that are considerably cheaper. All it leaves us with is sound preference and in that case some people opt for the Tanabe, I'd prefer you just say it sounds better rather then run down a list of inconsequential tidbits of info about a comparable exhaust to put yours on a pedestal. (Because it costs more)
Old 05-04-2009, 11:56 AM
Community Organizer

Received 551 Likes on 503 Posts

Ok pal thats cool, we can just agree to disagree. I still say there is significant weight savings and some measurable power to be made from the right dual, sound is not the only reason for getting one of these systems. I paid $680 new for mine shipped to my door, 3 years ago. Its held up great, I push 350whp SC through mine. I dont think I would have faired as well with the alternative we are speaking of.

And to educate you, lack of turbulence is extremely important in making power, its one reason why a single works best and strait through glass pack style mufflers. Stock s2000 exuast have abrupt transitions where the pipe splits to a dual and has refector type mufflers which are very poor in flow and creating turbulence. HKS has strait through mufflers, but they have something that stock doesnt which is a large sound chamber, which if your trying to maximize exuast flow for your particular exhuast configuration sucks, thats why i am not suprised to have heard all the complaints about either not seeing any power or actually losing some with HKS. I picked up 8 whp N/A with the Tanabe dual which still has stock 60mm pipe. Single is better of course, but still can be improvents with the right dual.

Anyone that knows anything about how exuast works can look at a system and get a good idea of what to expect by its size, configuation and how its put together along with the application.
Old 05-04-2009, 12:33 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I had the HKS on my car for 200 miles, I didn't care for the sound, IMO it droned at 4K and wasn't particularly quiet or light in weight. I put my Toda back on, which drones also but at 3K, I usually cruise closer to 4K (throttle response FTW).

Regarding build quality, it was OK but coated mild steel is not as desirable as 304 stainless used on the Tanabe. HKS is not a bad choice but the Tanabe is a better one.
Old 05-04-2009, 08:23 PM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by s2000Junky,May 3 2009, 10:38 PM
HKS is cheep in construction and sound quality much like Invidia, Tanabe is in a different class of exhaust, there really isn't much comparison period. I felt for what you get overall for just $200 more was a pretty easy choice for me.
Old 05-05-2009, 06:07 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You probably will get more nods to the HKS because not that many people run Tanabe systems (especially the G). With that being said..

I my Concept G..

No drone whatsoever with a TP.

Love the angle-cut tips.

Quality is superb.

Sounds deep down low and mean in the upper range. Aggressive, yet not obnoxious or overbearing. You can actually have a conversation with someone in the car (if that is any concern). Doesn't have the typical raspy, high-pitched, rice-rocket sound.
Old 05-06-2009, 08:26 AM
Community Organizer

^^^ in other words it sounds expensive compared to other systems. You can in fact hear a quality over one that has short comings. Yeah Tanabe doesnt seem to be very widly spread, but I like it that way. I always get complimented on it and people want to know what it is at all the meets/drives. I will tell you though with a SC this exhaust in the higher rpms is loud and very agressive sounding, but its in a good way, sounds bad ass. But like you said, its still very subtle at cruising with no drone at all so your not drawing unwanted attention, has a very dinamic sound. Its perfect in many ways for what you want in a aftermarkket exhuast if power isnt your only consideration.
Old 05-06-2009, 09:40 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

[QUOTE=rossco,May 3 2009, 09:33 PM] it is so obvious, anyone can see it driving behind you....
tanabe
Old 05-07-2009, 01:30 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Having ridden in a HKS equipped S and having the Concept G on my own S, I have to agree with the other Tanabe owners here.

The sound of the Tanabe is superior to that of the HKS, not as ricy - more tuned. The weight savings is closer to 20-25lbs over stock, and an extra 10 over the HKS.

There is drone between 3 and 4k, but that's with the stock cat and I've heard that a HFC or TP eliminates that drone (and really, the drone's not that bad - very manageable...we're not talking invidia or HKS drone).

Build quality is superb for the price. Solid construction out of a stronger steel than the HKS uses - means it will last longer.

Most of the guys I know with the HKS say it's unbearable enough on long road trips that they use ear plugs. My gf and I made a 4k road trip from NY to New Orleans and back (via the Dragon, of course ) with no ear plugs and no drone issues.
Old 05-07-2009, 10:46 AM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Name:  2009_0426mofo0111.jpg
Views: 998
Size:  76.1 KB

Name:  2009_0426mofo0113.jpg
Views: 1107
Size:  128.3 KB

wow! just look at the quality! tanabe concept g ftw!!
Old 05-07-2009, 11:18 AM
Community Organizer

Quick Reply: Tanabe Concept G vs HKS