S2000 Modifications and Parts Discussions about aftermarket products and parts including reviews, information and opinion.

Tanabe Medalion Touring review

Old 02-04-2014, 11:46 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Tanabe Medalion Touring review

Quick review:

While I do love the loud, screaming exhausts that I've ran in the past, I'm over driving them everyday, so I wanted something that has a classy, sporty tone that could be aggressive when I want it. Since I don't pass visual smog check in CA, I wanted to run a test pipe and still meet all of these requirements (plus, I've always had a test pipe on with my last S). Ideal choice was to pick a dual exit since I have more than enough power to make up for the weight, and IMO, it just looks better with the AP2 rear bumper. I did entertain the idea of a few single exhausts though, so I think it's safe to say that I could rank over a dozen exhausts on their overall noise levels.

I considered a Fujitsubo, but with its lack of availability and mixed reviews of it paired with a test pipe, I ended up deciding on the Tanabe Medalion Touring. If I had to be super ridiculously meticulous and nit picky, the mufflers could be spaced 5mm wider from each other, but otherwise, the fitment is great. I was surprised to see that both tips lined up evenly in the bumper, and neither of them stick out farther than stock.

With the test pipe and the exhaust, it's surprisingly quiet. In-car, it's just a hair louder than stock with a deeper tone. WOT is aggressive, but it gets quiet as soon as the throttle is lifted. The best part, is that it has no drone, which I'm really happy about. It has about the same volume as the UK exhaust mod + test pipe, with a more refined and bass-y tone. Plus, I didn't care for the tone of the UK mod + test pipe combo.

Note that I'm supercharged, so it will probably be quieter without it. There's also multiple clips, so check the video description.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3vxt4nE4a9I
Old 02-04-2014, 04:31 PM

Received 28 Likes on 27 Posts

Nice review, very happy with mine.
Old 02-04-2014, 04:42 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 1nate7
Nice review, very happy with mine.
+1, I was very disappointed when I sold my Tanabe Touring exhaust. I realize now that while the UK Exhaust mod may have less drone, the Tanabe has a better tone.
Old 02-04-2014, 04:55 PM

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Nice launch control!

What's the piping size on the tanabe?
Also how many pounds does it weigh?
Old 02-04-2014, 06:37 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by s2000maniac
Nice launch control!

What's the piping size on the tanabe?
Also how many pounds does it weigh?
It's a 60mm ID, with 50mm after the split. Unfortunately, I didn't weigh the system myself, though, shipping weight of the exhaust and all of the packaging was 53.70 lbs for reference.

edit: did some searching and another member posted it's 41 lbs.
Old 02-05-2014, 11:37 AM

Awesome review. I am currently on a search for an exhaust for me S, that wasn't too loud or had a lot of drone. I was contemplating between the Tanabe/Fujitsubo/Greddy SE Dual/Apexi WS.

The Fujitsubo is difficult to find and the Greddy is almost 500 more than the Tanabe. After this review i think the Tanabe seem like the logical option in my case.

Thanks again for the review.
Old 02-05-2014, 11:45 AM
Community Organizer

Received 53 Likes on 46 Posts

Tanabe is the way to go if you want to keep OEM like idle/cruise noise levels. I have one paired with a Berk header and HFC, and you can barely hear the exhaust at idle/cruise, but it makes that sweet sound when you get on the gas.
Old 02-06-2014, 06:22 AM

Originally Posted by Fokker
Tanabe is the way to go if you want to keep OEM like idle/cruise noise levels. I have one paired with a Berk header and HFC, and you can barely hear the exhaust at idle/cruise, but it makes that sweet sound when you get on the gas.

Already started looking around to get price quotes. Anyone recommend a good seller? or website?
Old 02-06-2014, 06:42 AM

Received 28 Likes on 27 Posts

I got mine from Amazon, it was under $800 shipped at the time which was cheaper than any vendor that I contacted.

http://www.amazon.com/Tanabe-T70040-...dalion+touring
Old 02-06-2014, 06:43 AM
Community Organizer

Received 53 Likes on 46 Posts

As above,I got mine on Amazon since I have Prime, so it arrived in two days (it getting stuck at the airport in the shipping container over the weekend was more of a FedEx faux pas due to weather).

There's a couple a sellers listed on Google https://www.google.com/#q=tanabe+med...price&tbm=shop that list lower prices though I can't comment to how much or how fast their shipping is.

Quick Reply: Tanabe Medalion Touring review